[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wide Gamut monitors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: LCD2180WG-LED-BK_LT[1].png (168KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
LCD2180WG-LED-BK_LT[1].png
168KB, 340x340px
These are starting to show up more on the used market for cheap prices.

What can you do with them besides look at pictures?

Can you watch video on them with a larger color gamut than sRGB and take advantage of the full capabilities of the monitor? What about games that now support 10 bit color. Would they look better on these monitors (even assuming you will not get the full 10 bit benefits, some is better than nothing)?

I'm referring to how UHD uses the Rec. 2020 color space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020
>>
>>57653844

The purpose of your usage needs to be taken in account since these monitors are usually aimed for a professional use where the source, processing and output play a role in managing that level of depth

I'm using a 12 bit monitor with quantum dot and HDR, it's really going to depend on the backlighting as well.

Output color depth is 8/10/12
Output color format RGB/ycbcr420/442/444 (best)
output dynamic range ltd (full available for rgb)

RGB currently being maxed out at 8bit
ycbcr444 is where it's at

To answer your question, yes it's possible. With the input at 8bit, you can actually set your display on a native setting and the colors will appear more saturated (which implies the level of importance of proper calibration as well), I also use a level of saturation of 65% in nvidia display, gamma at 1.85 check lagom lcd test for basic calibration. It's really what suits you best in the event you're not using that monitor for pure professional use, production for example.

The main reason why these monitors show up at low prices as you say is most certainly because HDR (or HDRR, it's the same) is going to be implemented on monitors that's why purchasing a monitor wouldn't be the best usage in that regard (gamut, ycbcr, hdr)

UHD is quite certainly correlated with HDR
>>
>>57653844
THICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
>>57654294
Okay, that's.... a lot of information.

But can you answer this basic question about watching UHD videos on a monitor like the Dell Ultrasharp 2408wpf? It uses a color space which is called CIE 1976 which is quite a ways past the sRGB color gamut.

But so is Rec. 2020. So would it be possible to use UHD files to view video on the Dell which has been "downscaled" to the CIE 1976 color space?
>>
>>57654311
yeah, some of these monitors are pretty thicc and look awesome on your desktop.
>>
>>57654424
Is that the 1st gen HP Dreamcolor?
>>
>>57654500
yes
>>
>>57654396
>CIE 1976

I wouldn't fret too much about the color certification because rec2020 and the highest % of srgb is where it's at

It's alot of information because alot of factors jive together, looking at that panel it was released back in 2008 and it's only 8 bit so I'm not sure whether that's the best choice and it's a full hd res

Look, if you're buying the monitor just choose wisely check tft central

You wouldn't absolutely need 4K UHD with a wide color gamut

Bear in mind that resolution factors in account as well, along with the graphics card to run it (nvidia 900 and higher) for hdmi 2.0 or better dvi to hdmi amazon supporting 18gbps or the latest DP

The bottom line is that depending on your usage you could get a quality screen for full hd, but 4k UHD and a wide gamut can be pricey because it's meant for pro use. afaik you get the dell 2414h and you'll be fine

tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm
>>
>>57654537
Still did not answer the question...

>Look, if you're buying the monitor just choose wisely check tft central
These things often just sort of fall into a person's lap as they are going to thrift stores and auctions and picking up used pieces of hardware
>You wouldn't absolutely need 4K UHD with a wide color gamut
But won't that be the most convenient source of videos for it?
>>
File: 2353463656.jpg (47KB, 314x314px) Image search: [Google]
2353463656.jpg
47KB, 314x314px
inb4

>the human eye can't see past 256 colors
>>
>>57654689
i only see one shade of grey
>>
>>57654644

I'm not sure why you're talking about UHD because UHD is 4K resolution and the 2408wpf is a full hd panel released in 2008

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_2408wfp.htm

Don't mind the color gamut acronyms, it's related to the bit depth of the panel

12bit = wider color gamut than 8 bit

I think the point of this thread is whether you can perceive and display color at 12 bit (wider gamut) when most content is encoded in 8 bit and the answer is yes and yes it looks better when you like saturation (native display) again it depends on the panel

ITT get your priorities straight, are you looking for a wide gamut, 4K or just because that screen is on sale

reasoning yourself out of a bargain has some cons obviously but make a good choice bc a screen is usually kept for the longest periods of time, imo look at all these high end gfx with low end displays, it doesn't make much sense
>>
>>57654803
I'm not talking about resolution at all. Forget resolution.

I'm talking about number of colors displayed.

UHD video has a color space of Rec. 2020. Specifically UHD TV broadcasts have this.

>The next generation Standard Color Gamut will be the impressively large Rec.2020 standard, shown in Figures 2 and 3 below. In fact, it is 72 percent larger than sRGB / Rec.709 and 37 percent larger than DCI-P3

http://www.displaymate.com/Display_Color_Gamuts_1.htm

So my question is if a wide gamut monitor like the Dell Ultrasharps and the HP Dreamcolors which are -not- UHD displays but -do- have the capability of displaying colors past the sRGB gamut can benefit from watching video with the Rec. 2020 color space. Can the color space be "downscaled" to the color space of this monitor and still see benefits?

>I think the point of this thread is whether you can perceive and display color at 12 bit (wider gamut) when most content is encoded in 8 bit

No, that is not the point of this thread at all.
>>
>>57654923

We'll have to disregard Rec2020 as well because it's only for 4K resolutions (deep color)

Rec2020 cannot be downscaled to the color depth of 8 bit however

yes, a larger gamut can be achieved than the average 8bit panel since this one has a 102% vs the standard 72% within the 8 bit color depth

You have an interesting point though, downscaling a higher certification within a larger than average gamut. Technically and factually yes

This is just an abstraction because you'd have to see it and gage with your very own eyes to your preference

However, I'm not sure how the Rec2020 "downscale" would occur because the source would need to be transposed into 8bit

Another possibility here is upscaling the full hd resolution to 4K using "DSR" in the nvidia control panel but that's just experimenting

In conclusion: technically and factually yes, however downscaling doesn't seem possible because all the UHD bells and whistles are hardcoded into the content so if you're stripping the original native content to fit into an 8bit spectrum of an above average display it's just a custom setup more than anything else (not guaranteed to work)
>>
>buy TN panel
>/g/ tells me color will be shit, should've paid $400 extra for IPS panel
>TN panel has 10 bit color
>>
>>57655353
TN panels sucking is a myth. Some of them can be pretty nice, and the price/cost ratio can be great.

You don't have to pay $400 extra for an IPS panel tho. You don't have to pay $400 at all for one.
>>
>>57655175
>a larger gamut can be achieved than the average 8bit panel since this one has a 102% vs the standard 72% within the 8 bit color depth

So basically what we would be trying to do here is maximize the potential of 8 bit color depth, something which is not done with sRGB or most monitors with only 72% coverage.

The way I think of this is how viewing a blu-ray on a standard definition television will still look better than a DVD of the same content because the blu-ray is capable of delivering a higher bitrate and thus a superior image (less banding and artifacts, etc). That would be a similar concept to what I'm trying to do here, except instead of a simple bitrate difference I'm trying to maximize the number colors potentially being displayed.

>We'll have to disregard Rec2020 as well because it's only for 4K resolutions (deep color)

Well, there's software that could possibly transcode one color space to another and if the video player can be set up to support the wider gamut I -think- everything should work.
>>
>>57655650

Custom palettes are interesting in a production level, what you're viewing ultimately must be as the director intended or within a naturalized daylight spectrum

Compressing 12 bit color to 8 bit is akin to a form of postprocessing and it's altering the natural content, not optimizing it

I'm understanding where your coming from in terms of taking the tech from a higher ground to take the lower one maximized to the next level (which is done with refresh rates for instance).

sRGB is by definition beyond RGB, so ranges of colors beyond the actual capacity of a monitor so what you'd be doing is compressing and crushing the range

RGB full range vs YCBCR444 for instance shows mainly a difference within the blacks

OLED blacks are a whole other level but still in development for latency

it's essentially about nuance and blending those shades
>>
>>57654396
It's a gimmick for your purposes.
Unless you'll be watching BBC documentaries, you don't need it for video.
Mostly creative professionals and hobbyists use the wide gamut range.
>>
>>57653844
Meh. Games are shit on wide gamut. The vast majority of game developers make their game to look good on mainstream monitors. I run a Dell 3008wfp-hc and wide gamut just means I have to increase my gamma correction every time I want to game.
>>
>>57655790
Ah, so that is the real hitch to it. The result will have to be an interpretation of the original image, tweaked by the user. You could probably get reasonably close and have a nice looking image, but the result would be an unofficial new version of the content, rather than just something that looks better.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.