[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are macs so popular? i don't understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 28

File: zkf7nY1.jpg (361KB, 1920x1009px) Image search: [Google]
zkf7nY1.jpg
361KB, 1920x1009px
why are macs so popular? i don't understand
>>
>>57640453
UNIX
>>
>>57640453
There is no real competition

All the comparable laptops have some major flaw, Macbooks are pretty close to flawless

Except the latest rMBP, that is a one big flaw itself
>>
>>57640453
Symbol of """wealth."""

Just hackintosh your T420 and make people think you are a 1337 H4X0R
>>
>why are macs so popular?

Popular as compared to what, Linux? Some people like the way the UI is designed, they find it more streamlined than others. Others are creative and media professionals who like macOS' production ecosystem. Others like the way the hardware and software go hand in hand, like a tango dance.

Not everyone is a /g/ user who uses pixellated bitmap fonts and codes in Haskell or Lisp inside a terminal for a living.
>>
marketing
>>
The MacBook Pro's trackpad has to be the most solid trackpad I've ever used in a laptop. Also, Apple is not afraid to take risks and isn't chained down by legacy support (built-in VGA ports in 2016? Seriously, get an adapter if you really need that!)
>>
My marketing team
>>
>>57640665
Fuck off Steve
>>
>>57640453
Have you ever seen a week thinkpad marketed like a Mac?
>>
File: 1462045271003.jpg (866KB, 800x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1462045271003.jpg
866KB, 800x2500px
>>57640453
It's the only thing poorfags can afford to """"""show off"""""".
>>
Its gay and liberal symbol
>>
It just werks
>>
If MBPs aren't the best laptops for video editing then what is?
>>
>>57640453

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/apple-tops-the-product-placement-rankings-for-movies/

one of many reasons
>>
>>57640453

Try using one.

The metal composite feels so solid and high end. Nothing else compares really. Trackpad is brilliant, and OSX is fast and smooth.

Try using one (once you lean keyboard shortcuts) and there's really no going back to windows for daily use.
>>
>>57640453
>i don't understand
try not being stupid
>>
>>57640794
>implying /g/ cares about video editing or any other media field
>>
File: Mac-President-Obama.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mac-President-Obama.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
>>57640751
And yet pretty much every rich, powerful, intelligent, and/or good looking person in the world uses a Mac...

Meanwhile Linux is confined to autists and Windows is confined to normies, suicidal businessmen, and Pajeets.
>>
>>57640794
>Professional work in any form
>on a Mac
That ship sailed a long, long time ago. Apple attempted to revive it with the Mac Pro and nobody gave a shit.

the only people who use Macs now are normies who need a smooth and seamless experience while browsing Facebook.
>>
File: portrait.jpg (19KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
19KB, 500x335px
>>57641090
>>
>>57641111
is that you, anon?
Nice quads.
>>
>>57641122
No. That's Rob Pike. The creator of Plan 9.
>>
>>57641090
You don't realize how many music producers use Logic Pro.
>>
They're literally not. Marketing just makes it seem like they are.

In reality very few people actually use them. It's generally agreed they are the worst laptops out there with exploding batteries/magharmful connectors and processors throttling to 0.5GHz being a common problem.

In fact they're so unpopular it's rumoured apple will stop production of them altogether soon.
>>
File: 5634925.jpg (33KB, 619x319px) Image search: [Google]
5634925.jpg
33KB, 619x319px
>>57641122
And this is Linus Torvalds. The creator of the most used kernel in the world.
>>
>>57641128
>Bored hipsters fucking around for money counts as professional work
>>
File: Clouser-studio-21000.jpg (336KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Clouser-studio-21000.jpg
336KB, 1000x667px
>>57641150
>le 'musicians aren't professionals' meme
>>
>>57641142
/thread
>>
>>57641111
>>57641143
>One's work was relevant 10 years ago while the other doesnt use Macs anymore

thanks for proving my point
>>
>>57640984
That only works on normies mactoddler. No one here believes your bullshit. Take your throttling housefire toddler toy trash back to /r/eddit.
>>
File: 1472799392449.jpg (110KB, 837x469px) Image search: [Google]
1472799392449.jpg
110KB, 837x469px
>>57641143
>>
>>57641191
Some of us have meaningful work to do. Entertainment doesn't help anyone.
>>
>>57640603
mac it like the single most subsidized computing device in the history of the world, most people i've known who've have them have had their job, school, government, or parents contributes a large portion or all of the cost
>>
File: 1454443329030.png (158KB, 654x413px) Image search: [Google]
1454443329030.png
158KB, 654x413px
>>57641075
>obongo
>powerful, intelligent, and/or good looking
>>
>>57641504
>still makes more than you

jealousy is so delicious
>>
>>57641504
You're posting frog memes on an anonymous imageboard used to discuss Taiwanese taprestry. Obama is the leader of the United States.
>>
>>57641430
Good thing Apple now makes laptops lighter than the MBA with a better screen :^)
>>
File: Trump.jpg (63KB, 699x724px) Image search: [Google]
Trump.jpg
63KB, 699x724px
>>57641504
>>57640751
Whoever made that image is retarded, the ultra rich use Macs as well.
>>
>>57641483
Pretty much. I don't know anyone who has actually bought one full price from the store themselves.
>>
>>57640453
Most Windows laptops are riddled with unpredictable idiosyncrasies, many of which are visible in day to day use and are quite annoying. Mac laptops have their own idiosyncrasies but for the most part they're obvious from the onset and don't impact day to day use.

In short, with Macs you typically know exactly what you're buying, downsides and all. It's predictable. With Windows PCs it's a total crapshoot with each model carrying its own unique set of annoyances and you have no idea if you'll end up with a machine that's passable or one that annoys the everliving shit out of you.
>>
>>57641090
The tide may turn but for now the vast majority of software development in Silicon Valley, whether it be at Google or HipsterStartup, takes place on Macbook Pros. And yes, most of that development is done locally in the macOS environment, not in VMs or SSH sessions.

Source: I work in the Valley as a developer and have been on campus at Google, Facebook, and several startups.
>>
>>57640984
>windows for daily use
MFW I've never been a daily Windows user in my life
>Apple ][
>Macintosh
>PeeCee running BSD
>OS X
>>
>>57641414
thistqbhwyfam
>>
>>57640453
ipods garnered brand loyalty like a cult

before that all apple had were those fugly rainbow imacs
>>
>>57642123
This.

I'd like a laptop, but I don't know what to buy these days. I don't have a lot of requirements

>IPS panel
>1080p
>Ctrl key at the lower left corner of the keyboard (somehow a lot of manufacturers get this wrong by placing the Fn key on the edge of the keyboard instead)
>Home button
>slim and light
>minimalistic design

I'm currently rocking a Lenovo Carbon X1 that was bought and paid for by work and used for work only. While it fits almost all my criterias, the trackpad is ugly and a little wobbly. It's good, but I wouldn't buy it for personal use.

The new Xiaomei Air looks fantastic - I just hope it gets localized to Europe because fuck the international slim Enter key. I want my Enter to be big and strong like the ones I've used for over 20 years.
>>
>>57640751
How the wealthiest show off.

https://youtu.be/2dHs4W8P0QU
>>
>>57640453
>i don't understand
Stop being poor.
>>
>>57640751
My ass
>>
>>57640453
Because first people buy a $300 windows laptop and are disappointed by the shitty build.

Then they buy a $2000 mac and see how much better it is. - must be the fruit logo, no other explanation possible.
>>
>>57645611
>rich because you plopped out of the right vagina instead of working hard

Europoors everyone
>>
>>57645652
Hey, they say he owns 25% of Shell (although we only know his grandma did).
>>
>>57640453
Their not only Ipads and iphones

I wasnt around for the early apple days when they where super popular in the 90s but they are doing the same shit then that dragged them down now.

>Stupid proprietary sockets
>Slower than the competition
>More expensive
>User unfriendly (itunes, ios and all their 1st party apps are shit)
>Retarded design language
>Oversimplification, a 2 port laptop and a trashcan do not a PC make
>>
>>57645697
lets see
>>Stupid proprietary sockets
yup
>>Slower than the competition
slower in what and than what competition? I'd wager that the components (while worse on paper than say the XPS 15) are enough for 90% of even the "professional" workload unless you need serious GPU performance
>>More expensive
yup
>>User unfriendly (itunes, ios and all their 1st party apps are shit)
itunes is shit, ios is easy and fast, albeit non-customizable, their 1st party apps (except itunes) are fucking glorious wtf are you talking about
>>Retarded design language
don't even know what that means
>>Oversimplification, a 2 port laptop and a trashcan do not a PC make
all but the base models have 4 ports, not 2
>>
>>57645644
I think the real issue is there are still high end laptops out there with shit build quality or useless buggy features.
Plus you have to do tons of research to find out what the fuck youre even looking at hardware wise. Im not saying i have major issues with the process, but the average consumer wants to be able to walk into a shop knowing dick all and buy a quality product.
The limitations in terms of variety and options that enthusiasts dislike about macs is exactly what makes normal old consumers like and trust them. You dont have to be worried that itll have a dogshit processor, ram, gpu etc because they always put (relatively speaking) high end hardware in from the get go. Plus marketing assures normies the hardware is selected specifically to work in "harmony" together and "optimised" for the mac versions of software. No matter how bass ackwards that statement is.
>>
>>57640589
Price isn't a flaw?
>>
>>57640453
Just werksâ„¢
I've never had any major issues with any of my macs in mac os.
The os itself isn't that great, especially for desktop use.
It's just the way everything ties together in hardware and software that makes it great
Also the wireless cards in macs have historically been some of the best. My 3x3N wireless card in my macbook is faster than the 2x2 ac 7260 in my t420
>>57640603
literally the worst possible thing you could do
so much headache for an average os on hardware that doesn't play nicely with it.
>>
Can I make and publish iOS apps on hackintosh? If not, what's the point of hackintosh?
>>
>>57640659
Vga? Hdmi....
>>
Mac has pretty low market share senpai. They are popular as in glorified and marketed but not popular as in they have dominant user base.

I'm not in any way saying a Mac is a Ferrari. But Ferrari's are pretty popular yet Chevy or ford alone destroy them in both sales and active users.
>>
File: It just werk.png (530KB, 840x820px) Image search: [Google]
It just werk.png
530KB, 840x820px
>>57640453
Marketingâ„¢
>>
>>57645831
Just realize his Macbook died before the comments and he still shill for it. Fucking macfag
>>
>>57645747
>all but the base models have 4 ports, not 2
Oh i forgot to mention $20 fucking dongles

Not bundling charging cables or said dongles
>>Retarded design language
>don't even know what that means
Look at their stupidly thin crap to the point of being useless.

Good luck if you drop the fucker or have to get it repaired everything internally is designed to make it impossible to repair.
>>
You dont understand what the appeal of a thin, lightweight, unibody, sleek looking MacBook is? A. You are literally retarded or B. You suffer from the same delusion as most people here and think people actually give a shit about specs or upgrading or customization. The people in this market just want to turn it on, watch YouTube, update FaceBook, or manage a few photos like my parents and wife. Nobody in the real world gives a shit that you can download Debian, Solus, Arch or whatever distro of the week you pretend is god tier, and then start a thread because you changed a bar to fucking orange and spent 15 days customizing FireFox or Chromium, or C. You are literally jealous because you cannot afford one.

Really there is no other options than the 3 obvious truths above. Most here will fall under B.
>>
>>57645805
>But Ferrari's are pretty popular yet Chevy or ford alone destroy them in both sales and active users.
As usual you're obsessing over the wrong numbers. Look at the profit margins, not the raw revenue. Many outfits with huge revenues are running at a loss. Most Android phone makers, for a start.
>>
I work for AppleCare and I can tell you the main reason people buy Macs is because all of the software is built around the idea of the user having no fucking idea what they're doing.

In order to save the user the trouble of learning simple computing tasks like navigating a file system using finder, they have every app perform those kinds of basic computing operations, which in turn creates a gigantic mess of automated fuckups that causes more problems than learning the basics of a computer to start with.
>>
>>57640453
Normie computers for normie users.
>>
>>57641075
>implying I don't run a superior linux distro on my MBP
>>
>>57640453
they're not popular, iphones are though
>>
>>57646216
in college every student has one but thats because its a status symbol and to fit in. You don't need much more than a chromebook if you are a liberal arts/english major. Only shit like engineering do you need something powerful and even then the programs for those classes are only windows.
>>
>>57641739
>now where is that fucking 'Any key'?
>>
>>57646100
XPS is more attractive than any macbook on the bezels alone.
>>
Could you stop making these threads? It's becoming daily. We get it, you think popularity correlates with quality.
>>
>>57646100
>if I add 'literally' before every generic insult, I win
>>
GNU > Mac > Windows

GNU is too difficult for some, or at least they think it is
Mac is the second least worst choice.

Windows is for dinosaurs who "need" proprietary software by incompetent developers who can't into cross-platform, and /v/.
>>
>>57646674
Most of that ancient sales software or whatever runs fine on Wine. Those people don't care, they found a configuration where it works and even if you try to explain to them you can make it better, they won't care.

I tried telling a co-worker with about 4 email accounts that she could sync them all to Thunderbird instead of logging in and out. She didn't want to because she prefers a known clusterfuck than an unknown simplicity.
>>
>>57646326
True
>>
>>57645831
This guy has 9 videos, how did you find him?
>>
>>57646701
Then they have old Excel macros and Microsoft Access databases, but also want to open the latest proprietary Microsoft Word format. Also there's this one copy-protected program that requires an USB dongle and kernel driver. Seen that at my last employer. Ended up running Windows in a QEMU virtual machine with USB pass-through. Not much gained, still running Windows. And that was a small company with like 5 employees. Completely migrating even just a medium-sized company is a titanic effort.
I assume really large companies are actually easier to migrate because they can afford a dedicated IT department.
>>
>>57645755

It is but people will still pay.
>>
>>57646100
>You suffer from the same delusion as most people here and think people actually give a shit about specs or upgrading or customization.
It's definitely this because /g/ eats up every fucking MacBook clone on the market and acts like they're great products.
>>
>>57646674
"gnu" is botnet now
>>
>>57645755
When there's no direct competition, you can price them as you want.
>>
>>57640453
can you really be a fan of perfection? Is the ability to enjoy something beyond extraordinary anything but human? When Apple releases a product, I don't sit at my computer and contemplate whether I have the financial means to attain it anymore than I contemplate if I can afford my next meal, I simply purchase it. There's something inherently good about taking my meaningless life, and giving it identity through the products that I purchase. I become part of something much larger, a movement that can not be swayed by the incoherent ramblings of the nay sayers who choose not to believe. I never understood how someone could persecute Jesus knowing he was the son of God, until I saw the visceral hate of non believers doing anything they could to tarnish Apples perfect name. Jealousy will be the downfall of you all.
>>
>>57641452
You would read this level of stupid shit only on /g/.
>>
>>57646101
Apple lost 3 billion this last quarter compares to last year's third quarter. And this has been their "biggest year ever".

But it doesn't matter. It really truly doesn't. Because apple turns a huge profit by selling so little, on a real scale, but at such a high profit that they remain "powerful" but in the hands of few. Companies like Dell and Microsoft are companies with power and influence in the tech field. They are popular and sell more often than Macs because they are more affordable for the same power. On top of these companies taking the forefront and actually inventing and progressing our consumer end technology.

I digress hard though. My point is your numbers don't mean shit when the fact is that Mac and iPhone have a very small slice of the cake. They're popular being that they're advertised and used everywhere and thought to be a special snowflake item. But in reality most people have Dell's and Lenovo and HP and shit. Very few people, especially adults with money, willingly choose to buy loads of horseshit. Most adults going in to buy a laptop at best buy. And trust me my friend deals with it on a regular basis, don't go to buy a MacBook unless they're loaded and getting ready for retirement or they're in some type of liberal arts field.

Developers will buy Macs and use Windows or Linux laptops and business professionals will almost always exclusively use Windows and that might never change.
>>
>>57640453
Very balanced battery/performance wise, does everything out of the box, very good quality, not some chinkbook that lags after 1 year and starts to break slowly, muh appul and neet design. Now if those fuckers will actually make a pro version instead of overglorified air, I really hope Apple will come back to working with Nvidia.
>>
>>57647399
Stop spewing shit out of your ass http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/07/apple-reports-third-quarter-results.html, it doesn't matter how many chinkpads and other crap sells when you make 1 dollar profit off them. Adults with money will get mac and stick with them, everyone I showed macpro to got them without any regrets.
>>
>>57641142
/thread
>>
>>57647692
see >>57641142
>>
>>57640589
There are PLENTY of laptops that are INFINITELY superior to the Macbooks.
>>
>>57647845
for example?
>>
>>57648641
XPS 13
>>
>>57640453
They run an OS that is everything GNUslashLinucks tries to be but fails at
>>
OSX > WINDOWS

can't be arsed to hackintosh
>>
>>57648672
Only there isnt a single thing about MacOS thats simple, open ended, or makes it feel like you are in control?
>>
>>57648656
>coil whine
>worse trackpad
>worse keyboard
>shitton of quality control issues

next?
>>
>>57648656
Ships with Windows.
Disgusting.

It's like buying used underwear.
>>
>>57648681
And being part of a botnet OS does?
>>
>>57646100
You're kind of shooting your own argument in the foot when you say that. If the average person only wants to browse the internet, then this is something any cheap tablet, laptop, or phone can do these days. So the question becomes: Why pay more for the same?
>>
>>57648684
Nope, at least not for the most recent version that features a kaby lake processor. Enjoy your dogshit battery life on your macbook "pro".

>>57648717
>homOS X is better
>k
>>
>>57641128
And Pro Tools anon, don't forget.
Windows pro tools is so shit it hurts.

It's the only reason I want a Mac.
>>
File: Avid-Pro-Tools_8.jpg (367KB, 1430x790px) Image search: [Google]
Avid-Pro-Tools_8.jpg
367KB, 1430x790px
>>57648818
Yeah, I've used Pro Tools on Windows before. The fact that they use a "windows inside a larger window" on Windows and the only way to use it on multiple monitors is to drag the single larger window across all of the monitors is a joke.

On the Mac, each window is its own separate window, so you can have the mixer and the editor on two separate monitors without any problem.
>>
File: intro-razer-blade.png (82KB, 824x644px) Image search: [Google]
intro-razer-blade.png
82KB, 824x644px
>>57640589
Just slap an ironic meme sticker on top of the fugly logo and you will have an even superior laptop
>>
>>57648792
What's your point? The coil whine is still there and the trackpad/keyboard are the same.

I don't even own a Macbook or like Apple, it's just that there really doesn't seem to be any better option.
>>
>>57649037
>What's your point? The coil whine is still there and the trackpad/keyboard are the same.
Source: my ass

>I don't even own a Macbook or like Apple, it's just that there really doesn't seem to be any better option.
So dogshit battery life, having to carry 100 dongles with you everywhere you go, proprietary soldered on SSD, no escape key, loud noisy keyboard, inability to use wifi and usb-c at the same time is somehow better than something better like the laky lake XPS 13 with none of these problems?
>>
>>57649095
>Source: my ass
just google it, it's all over the internet

>So dogshit battery life, having to carry 100 dongles with you everywhere you go, proprietary soldered on SSD, no escape key, loud noisy keyboard, inability to use wifi and usb-c at the same time
as I stated in my original post
>Except the latest rMBP
>>
>>57649175
Older macbook poos don't have kaby lake you retard.
>>
>>57649195
neither do the newest ones

your point?
>>
>>57649224
They're all dogshit. Whereas the newest XPS 13 has a kaby lake processor.
>>
>>57640453
hardcore windows fag here. I made the jump to a 13in mbp a few of months ago.

I have to say, apple knows how to make a machine. The experience is perfect. And I can run windows flawlessly side by side while running os x for things like packet tracer and other windows only programs.

I am sold on the Mac meme.

Oh, and it's beautiful.
>>
File: 1474087100882.jpg (102KB, 624x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1474087100882.jpg
102KB, 624x1024px
>>57649263
How much is apple paying you. Might become a shill like you if the pay is good enough. Also do they pay in rupees or USD?
>>
>>57649260
>dogshit keyboard and touchpad, coil whine, but kaby lake processor
>decent keyboard, godtier touchpad, no coil whine, but older generation processor

I'd personally pick the latter option
>>
>>57649224
i personally always use dells. let's see my dell has a core i7 3.2ghz processor 1 terabyte of physical memory and 8gbs of virtual memory.

linux works perfectly on it. it has a touch screen interface not that i really use it but that's there.

dell is litearlly teh only brand of laptop that i will spend money on. if i were to buy a desktop some day it'd probably be a dell and then just upgrade one or two parts.

macs are for the aesthtics people are willing to spend an extra $600 on for the mac software which i will admit has probably the prettiest ui. as a developer who uses linux i'm not as interested in ui as maybe more common users or graphics designers or music producers.
>>
>>57641142
It's also likely that people who do have them, show them off more
On top of that, their market share in laptops is a little higher compared to desktops
Take those facts to a college lecture and BOOM
entire room seems like a mac circlejerk
>>
I scooped up a really nice condition ( No scratches ) 2011 15" i5 mbp for around 500.

The build quality is great, battery life is great. I also like that I can repair just about anything. I'd like to get a hi-res screen eventually.I opened it up and it was practically brand new inside.

Dualboot linux with reFind. I personally love the mbp keyboard.
>>
I have a late 2015 rmbp
Whats the best Linux to install on it? Kind of bored with memeOS
I want good retina scaling and brightness/sound/track pad support
>>
>>57648939
I'm still pissed off that an autistic second rate meme of a peripheral company make the best ultrabook on the market and it's not even overpriced compared to its competitors.
>>
>>57640453
Honestly other than build quality and aesthetic, I don't get why people use Macs.
>>
>>57641142
Really? Im in college and more than half the laptops I see are Macs. Is it just a young people thing?
>>
>>57650343
And I'm in college and there is a single macbook among a sea of Asus, Acer and Dell laptops with 60 people in my course
>>
>>57646765
By clicking on his comment in a different video?
>>
Buying a macbook is like buying Calvin & Klein underwear.

Sure, a part of the price is quality, but it's mostly because it's being marketed so heavily.

Not to mention that Apple products are heavily subsidized. My gf told her that her group of private kindergarten kids were watching movies on their iPads. Good example of getting them while they're young.

When the kids grow up, and see their peers using iPhones, iPads and other iShit, do you think they won't desire to have the same products just to fit in?

Good marketing is what it's all about.
>>
>>57640589

They have shit specs and worse. Apple has been fucking with everything lately making everything worse.

Plus they have twice the price they should.
>>
>>57640589
I used to agree with this, but now the ultrabook market is so saturated that you can get decent Macbook air/pro alternatives
>>
Person A
>drive abase model gla because his wife wanted something more pratical
>drink coffee at starbuck
>own a base model macbook pro
>more liabilities than assets
>he will pay a mortage until death
>income 60k

Person B
>drive a mazda6 with every option but he also got an FD in pristine conditions for Sunday drives
>get coffee at his local coffee shop
>use the thinkpad provided by his company
>more assets than liabilities
>own a nice house that he can afford
>income 100k+
>>
Macbooks are just a symbol of wealth, the shit is overpriced and it just looks terrible, everything is so simple, ffs
>>
>>57654220
>symbol of wealth
>$1000

More like a symbol of being so poor the most "expensive" thing you can show off is a computer.
>>
nix underneath + laptop is convenient for developers

where I work we all have one provided by the company

I would never buy one myself though, they are really overpriced and I play videogames with my computer.
>>
Because OSX is the best laptop OS
>>
>>57654220
there's this sociological phenomenon where poor people instantly spend their wages on luxury good and items to use as a status symbol, since it gives them instant gratification instead of deferred gratification whereas those in higher social classes will save the money, choosing instead not to try and pursue the instant gratification of a shiny new gadget like those who are poorer do

I'm 21 one now, so just as I was in the final years of high school as the iPhones took off, there would be kids on free school meal tokens and not wearing the proper uniform because they can't wear it, all while holding the latest iphone model in their hand that their parents shelled all their money to pay for, or bought it on a rip-off credit plan, instead of wisely saving it

of course, to those at the very top of the social ladder, they can easily afford to lay down money on the latest consumer electronics
>>
>>57654289
>toddlerOS
>>
File: hurr-durr-kid.jpg (11KB, 240x196px) Image search: [Google]
hurr-durr-kid.jpg
11KB, 240x196px
>>57654346
>I posted it again
>>
>>57654346
Correction, best laptop OS if you actually have a job and need to run industry standard software
>>
>>57654345
>there's this sociological phenomenon where poor people instantly spend their wages on luxury good and items to use as a status symbol,
And there's this other one where envious turd-burglars try to take down anything they can't have by posting snarky anonymous comments.
>>
>>57654253
/thread
>>
>>57654412
>anything they can't have
Literally anyone with a McJob can walk out of an Apple store with a $3000 Fagbook at $100/mo payments. Only true poorfag mactoddlers like you who suck dicks behind starbucks for food would brag about any garbage Apple shits out as "expensive".
>>
File: hurrdurr.jpg (35KB, 352x432px) Image search: [Google]
hurrdurr.jpg
35KB, 352x432px
>>57654462
>Look at me I'm so funny
>>
>>57654482
Avatarfagging is forbidden mactoddler.
>>
>>57654412
>anything they can't have
Maybe it's a british thing but owning an Apple product is hardly some kind of crowning achievement of wealth, even people on minimum wage have them, they just buy it on credit instead or take out a loan for it
>>
File: hurrdurr2.jpg (95KB, 435x345px) Image search: [Google]
hurrdurr2.jpg
95KB, 435x345px
>>57654492
It's not an avatar when it's a picture of you.
>>
>>57640453
Because they used to be decent machines. Sure they were a bit under powered for what you paid but they were built solid.
>>
>>57654482
>mactoddler has no response
>starts analblasted rage tantruming

kek
>>
>>57654504
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57640751
I haven't seen a single poor person with a macbook, HP ultrabooks are popular though.
>The trailer park and other dwelling places of white >trash
>>
File: 1453375167313.png (759KB, 1075x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1453375167313.png
759KB, 1075x1075px
>Cmd+C songs from playlist in iTunes
>Cmd+V on MicroSD card for clip+

>No tray
>No registry
>Unix based (or arguably, Unix)
>Trackpads that somehow manage to be better than mice and trackpoints (Only in OS X though. They're shit with Linux and Windows, even with mods)

Stuff like that. It literally "just werksâ„¢", even for many powerusers.
>>
>>57654520
>Look at me, I'm using memearrows on 4chins!!! I'm soooo hilarious
>>
File: super-retard.jpg (23KB, 499x376px) Image search: [Google]
super-retard.jpg
23KB, 499x376px
>>57654530
>I posted it again
>>
File: 1462134024831.png (895KB, 1070x560px) Image search: [Google]
1462134024831.png
895KB, 1070x560px
>>57654536
Why did you censor the important details mactoddler?
>>
>>57654536
>Cmd + C on Mac
>Paste on iPhone

Another one
>Read news on Chrome on iPhone on the bus on my way home
>Get home, open up Mac, click the iPhone Chrome icon in the doc and continue reading at the same location on my Mac without refreshing the tab
>>
>>57654536
>fruity toddler toy OS
>work

Good joke.

see >>57654563
Literally all of those faggots in your meme image wipe OSX or just bypass that toddlerOS and SSH into their real work environment.
>>
>>57654563
>Why did you censor the important details mactoddler?
You are aware that they're all saying that they left Plan 9 to use OS X instead?
>>
>>57654563
>I used Plan 9 until around 2002
Why should I waste my time reading post made by someone who lacks reading comprehension?

>>57654581
Too bad iPhones are fucking awful. I really want that continuity stuff.

>>57654587
Give specific reasons why OS X is bad. I'll wait.
>>
>>57654581
>Cmd + C on Mac
>Paste on iPhone

I can do the exact same thing with my linux mint desktop and oneplus two
>>
>>57654597
>toddlerOS
>>
>>57654597
>Too bad iPhones are fucking awful.
I agree. The continuity stuff is awesome though. I was genuinely impressed, which I haven't been about consumer tech in a long while.
>>
>>57654597
>Give specific reasons why OS X is bad. I'll wait.
Because I can't afford a computer that runs it, Windows 10 is so much better anyway because I can use it for real work like playing the latest Xbox releases.
>>
>>57654617
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57654605
That's cool, but when did you see normies use Linux Mint and oneplus two?
>>
>>57654629
Where do technology illiterate mactoddler normies get the false impression they or their fruity normie toddler toys are welcome much less belong on a technology board?
>>
>the only criticism posted against Apple is toddlerX or Xtoddler

Nice tech argument.
>>
File: 1453108852399.png (309KB, 703x703px) Image search: [Google]
1453108852399.png
309KB, 703x703px
>>57654613
You can't even name a single reason? I could name a few off the top of my head without thinking much. Probably because I have experience with the OS and actually know what I'm talking about.

>>57654616
/g/ prefers hacked together shit like airdroid, which is so terrible that I just go without the functionality.

>>57654617
Nice mayme
>>
>>57654629
Fair enough, was just adding that to a user that's perhaps more tech savvy a lot of the advantages OS wise relating to their eco-system and continuity can still be done on non-apple products, but probably doesn't apply to much of apples consumer base
>>
>>57654649
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57640453
Because
>le edgy
and
>le hipster
faggots
>>
>>57654645
Well, seeing that I have submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, I'm currently working on a Linux-based framework for my PhD, you'll see me giving a talk presenting some of my research at GTC next year, you can read all my publications online, I would say that I probably belong on this board a hell of a lot more than someone who's sole argument is based on calling something "toddler".

I appreciate my Macbook Pro because it is basically what I've missed on Linux for all these years, a UNIX-like OS that just works, and that doesn't drain my batteries like a thirsty sailor.
>>
>>57654645
Applefags should be rounded up and gassed tbqhwyfamalam.
>>
>>57654658
>Hee hee I posted it again!!! Look, I'm totally WINNING.
>>
>>57654694
>t. mactoddler

2 rupees have been deposited in your Starbucks Apple affiliate account Pradeep
>>
>>57654715
We're done here, it's apparent that you have completely ran out of any form of actual argument.
>>
>>57654708
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57654563
MACTODDLERS

BLOWN
THE
FUCK
OUT
>>
>>57654747
Did you read it? Or are you being """"ironic"""" ?
>>
Everyone has their own use case. Macbook works fine if you just want to use it for internet browsing and ssh in a thin form factor and are willing to pay the apple tax. Other people have different needs and therefor should get a different laptop. For me, it would be hard to go back to a touchpad after the clitmouse so it cuts many of the ultrathin choices out.
>>
>>57654739
>And again!!! Teee heee!!!! I'm on a roll here.
>>
Regarding their laptops, they boot up fast, the OS doesn't lag when you open and close the laptop, they're small, and the OS has a simple looking UI and plus apple attracts normals.
>>
Just werks â„¢
>>
They make shiny laptops that make writing a few hundred words articles very easy with pleasant font rendering so all the "journalists" will rave about it and dumb people will listen.
>>
OSX is the best laptop OS, it has the software compability of Windows and looks better than riced out Linux while still being Unix based. There's no reason to use Windows over OSX other than for gaymen and even then you can just dual boot if it's really necessary, and especially no reason to use Linux over OSX as long as you use your PC for more things than shitposting on /g/, watching anime and write high school essays.
>>
>>57646302
College students have them because they have long battery lives, don't require a mouse (windows laptops tend to), and have Microsoft office (essential for a large portion of degrees and workplaces) and heaps of other software not available on Linux.

These days windows laptops are doing better thanks to the touchscreen making laptops more usable without a mouse
>>
>>57646804
>access
>database
>>
>>57648672
Gnu/Linux tries to have shit coreutils? I did not know this.
>>
>>57655053
>toddlerOS
>>
>>57655053
>it has the software compatibility of Windows
It doesn't have 10% of the software that windows has.
>looks better than riced out Linux
Your opinion. User experience on Linux is better for me.
>>
>>57655378
Yes, that's what Linux is when all you use it for it to watch anime on your laptops from 2010
>>
>>57640453

i've never used a modern mac. i've used an imac when i was a middle school student in the 90s. i don't even know anyone who owns a mac. i am a social recluse after all. that's probably why
>>
>>57646999
this. lmao they pull off any fucking sentence just to oppose others. autism is fucking real on this board
>>
>>57655477
>le fat Linux user watches anime on his thinkpad xDD
It's not even that you can't argue without insults, it's that they're the most generic shit ever. What next, are you going to call me an autist?
>>
>>57655441
Like what? Video games?

>User experience on Linux is better for me

Okay? What does that have to do with what I said?
>>
>>57655509
Like software. All of it. Every single category of software has more of it available for windows.
>what does that have to do
You posted your opinion, I posted mine.
>>
>>57654799
Holy shit, dial back the mad, dude.
>>
>>57655508
So "ToddlerOS" is supposed to be an argument? Damn, we're dealing with the best of the best here
>>
>>57655540
>he started it!
>>
>>57655521
And 90% of that software is irrelevant
>>
>>57655509

it feels good not having adware and bloatware on your pc. windows 10 is full of adware and bloatware. windows 10 is just a billboard for advertisements.
>>
>>57655556
>I determine what's important or not!
Cute.
>>
>>57655551
Started what? How am I supposed to argue against something that isn't an argument
>>
>>57655521

windows is only good for games. other than that, it's not really necessary.
i would use windows 8.1 and avoid windows 10
>>
>>57655565
Well yeah, why would software I don't use be important to me?
>>
i mean i like mine, but i would like a thinkpad too if it ran macOS with perfect touchpad gestures etc

i also own a desktop for heavy lifting (read: blender and second life)
>>
>>57655576
You don't. Never reply to shitposting, anon.

>>57655594
Oh, so we went from "not relevant" to "not relevant to me". Glad we straightened that out.

>>57655584
Why 8.1? The data gathering happens in every version, 10 has a rolling release update schedule now and it's overall better, or at least has more functionality.
I agree that I don't need Windows, but I personally think Linux is a better choice.
>>
>>57655610
Clit is better than trackpad and the xx20 models run macos just fine.
>>
>>57655634

>why windows 8.1?

i like the start menu (even though it's hated by a lot of people). i used it to place all my favorite software when i had it installed on my computer. i removed all the adware that came with it.

i also prefer the windows manager for windows 8.1 over windows 7. the bar at the top of the the windows 7 windows manager is ugly as fuck

i use fedora now
>>
>>57655733
This, so much. The start menu riotting was pure baby duck syndrome, it was a way more concise way to organize icons. However 10 lets you choose which version of the start menu to use.
Do you mean file manager? I thought 8.1 still had that expandable ribbon thing on explorer.
>>
>>57655767

well, linux calls it a windows manager, so i am used to calling it that
>>
Are they that popular? What percent of the market are they? Like 10 right? Most people I know get cheap garbage from hp, Dell, acer. People with a little money will get a midrange ultra book. Every job I ever had used Lenovo.
>>
>>57640453

Use one for a week (and learn keyboard shortcuts). You will be a convert.

I was pissed when my company went Mac and thought it was a bit rediculous, but after using it a while, the touchpad is fucking amazing, its fast and stable and there's no fucking around required, and no stupid updates every single day.

Now with Windows 10 being a giant botnet taht sends you every click to MS, there's gonna be no going back to windows for me.
>>
technologically inept trendies and sjws usually have macs.
if you ever watch a sjw/liberal youtube channel, there's like a 90 percent chance they'll have a mac.
>>
>>57640453
For someone who doesn't keep up with all the autistic tech trends they see all the advertising for Apple devices, maybe know a couple people who have one and talk highly of it so after awhile they'll just go out and grab it.

For someone who doesn't want to play games or spend ages trying to sus out an unintuitive operating system then macOS is their pick, hands down. Not to mention the sheer amount of people who encounter a problem on a Mac and go straight to a forum or Apple support means almost all problems a normie could encounter would be solved by a quick google search.

So Mac are so popular because of marketing, ease of use, just werks, a whole support network to help techtards and slightly because it's bragging rights for middle class
>>
File: mac-shipments[1].jpg (65KB, 625x381px) Image search: [Google]
mac-shipments[1].jpg
65KB, 625x381px
>>57640453
Mac computers are actually not that popular.

This image shows Macs are growing in popularity, but this in the context of them still being only about 8% of the market.
>>
>>57641075
I don't see any Macbooks in the situation room.
>>
>>57656020

>hp elitebooks

obama's my nigga
>>
>>57646100
>The people in this market just want to turn it on, watch YouTube, update FaceBook, or manage a few photos like my parents and wife.
So your argument for why /g/ is dumb/autistic is that the general populace (including your parents and your wife) is Idiocracy-tier butt-fuck retarded? Yeah, good one.

>>57648791
Isn't it obvious? They prefer "shiny!!!!11one!!!" and "muh status symbol" over anything of substance-- in other words, they're imbeciles.
>>
>>57656044
Custom Elitebooks. /g/ has tried to find that exact model before couldn't do it.
>>
>>57656268
"hp recommends windows"
>>
File: hp elitebook 8440p.png (828KB, 1200x1041px) Image search: [Google]
hp elitebook 8440p.png
828KB, 1200x1041px
>>57656268

it looks like one of these
>>
>>57656268

/g/ is retarded then.
it's this>
>>57656426
>>
>>57656020

are they watching beheading videos or something? why does hillary have that face?
>>
In 2013 I switched over because I needed a *nix that didn't have a buggy DE that could take everything I'm working on in a GUI application down with it. Today I'm sticking with it because everything isn't a Linux distro or OS X is spying on me
>>
>>57640488
/thread

Windows is a fucking joke and not everyone is comfortable installing a different OS than what came on a computer.
>>
>>57657856
see >>57641142

>>57641142
/thread
>>
>>57640453
Let's see. Macs are:

>easy to use
>non-existent learning curve
>comes preinstalled with normie-relevant software (web browser, some graphic tools, etc.)
>easy as fuck to install new programs (just drag and drop, stupid)
>fairly reliable
>grind to a halt in four years (but, who cares? Normies just replace them on the fly)
>"fashionable, stylish, and trendy"
>everything just werks (see: non-existent learning curve)

This isn't to say that Windows and Linux aren't easy to use or maintain, but they do have a bit more of a learning curve to them that most normies just don't care to surmount.
>>
>>57657967
The tiny ~5% marketshare fagbooks wield doesn't agree with you.

see >>57641142
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.