[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whelp, I need a new laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: dellxps15.jpg (493KB, 2811x2074px) Image search: [Google]
dellxps15.jpg
493KB, 2811x2074px
hey /g/ please help me decide on a new notebook.

Currently I still have a Dell Latitude 6420 and while it is still plenty of fast for productivity, I love the keyboard, I love the super convenient docking station, but it weighs a ton. Like an actual ton (2,4kg or 5.3 lbs). Also it can't even run League of Legends.

Now I will have to go on business trips twice a year for a couple months and I will be staying in a hotel room in a questionable country, so I will be taking the laptop with me pretty much all the time and would really like to play some Rocket League and occasionally League of Legends in the evenings.

I'm sure a GTX 960M will be plenty so I figured I'd go with Dell XPS 15 (9550), since I could also get the thunderbolt dock and have a very similar experience to my aging Latitude.
Originally I liked the Asus Zenbook (UX501), but I don't think I'd like the glossy screen.

But now with the advent of desktop GPUs in notebooks, I could even play demanding games on something like the Asus RoG Strix GL502.

TL:DR: is it wasteful to get a 960m, when you could have a desktop 1060 instead? Asus GL502, Asus UX501 or Dell XPS 15? Which would you get and why?
>>
File: asuszenbook.jpg (194KB, 1200x824px) Image search: [Google]
asuszenbook.jpg
194KB, 1200x824px
>>
File: asusroggl502.jpg (44KB, 580x320px) Image search: [Google]
asusroggl502.jpg
44KB, 580x320px
I hate that this one looks so much like gaming garbage.
>>
come on, some input please? I've been here forever giving useful advice and I get that it's not your favorite topic, but I can't decide.
>>
File: 1472007141232.png (238KB, 497x541px) Image search: [Google]
1472007141232.png
238KB, 497x541px
>>57633454
>an actual ton (2,4kg or 5.3 lbs)
>>
File: 528full-anna-nyström.jpg (42KB, 528x640px) Image search: [Google]
528full-anna-nyström.jpg
42KB, 528x640px
>>57633454
wait for the XPS refresh with the 1050
>>
>>57633666
yeah it's not much to lift, but it is really heavy, especially when you will be carrying it everywhere you go. When I used to hand my laptop to thinkpad owners they were always shocked by weight and almost dropped it.

>>57633686
Is the 1050 confirmed? I thought it was only rumored. Also thanks for the reply.
>>
>>57633738
just admit it, you want to buy new cool laptops
it's fine
>>
>>57633738
Pretty much a rumor but maybe worth a wait?
Otherwise there are also things like razer blade and alienware 13 if you don't mind le epik gaymer stuff.
>>
>>57633751
Well, that's not entirely wrong.
>>
>>57633773
Yeah I guess you are right, I even have until February. Also I would feel sort of stupid running around with a gaming laptop.
Thank you.
>>
>>57633775
that's the spirit. here's my input: if i had the money i'd get an xps
if you want a gpu for gayming get a desktop really, unless you're working with a gpu, like rendering 3D stuff or whatever, you don't need one.

i'm waiting for a zenbook i got off ebay for $175
>>
>>57633806
Thanks, will probably do even if the refresh doesn't come out in time.

I have a desktop though, yet I can hardly take my Silverstone FT02 with me to China regularly.
>>
>>57633869
don't fall for the qhd and touchscreen memes
>>
>>57633898
I agree with you and I wouldn't have. Also I never felt the urge to have fingerprints on my laptop screen.
>>
definitely hold off on buying a gaymer laptop with 9x series gpus OP, the jump in performance is so big that it's worth waiting a couple of more months until more shit gets released that doesn't look half retarded
>>
File: X1 Carbon copy.png (119KB, 738x600px) Image search: [Google]
X1 Carbon copy.png
119KB, 738x600px
Get a laptop this week while the Black Friday deals are on.

I just got an X1 Carbon with
i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
for $1,145 (Canadian, Pre-Tax) which is $850 USD.

After tax $950 USD.

Specs in pic related. Chose Carbon > XPS because it's an ultrabook with all the ports I need, solid battery life, much better keyboard than the XPS, and the IBMEPP discount in the ThinkPad General thread combined with the Black Friday deals brought the price down a ton
>>
Get the xps 15 1080p with 512 GB SSD.
Best value/specs on the market atm, otherwise you can wait a month and get the refresh.
It's a shitty laptop, but it's the best you can get.

Second best alternative is the macbook pro 15 >noports edition.

Third best alternative is the razer blade >le edgy green everything edition.

The market is fucked right now
>>
>>57634472
Is the X1 user-serviceable? Can you replace the RAM, battery and HDD?
>>
>>57634870
Why the heck does all of /g/ need 500+GB of onboard SSD? OP, I recommend you strongly consider putting your dollars towards CPU, RAM, and build quality, and the store your anime on external storage.
>>
>>57634940
This is an ultrabook, so user upgrading/servicing is limited.

RAM is onboard I believe (verify this), so not easy to upgrade. 8GB is the only choice, as far as I can tell. Should be plenty, unless your running chrome or gaming - neither of which you should be doing on this machine.

HDD isn't offered. Base is 128SSD. SSD is replaceable.

Battery is replaceable.
>>
>>57634985
When you work with data (I'm a data science/ML student) it stacks up quickly, add a couple of movies and series, music and pics, and you get to 500GB easily.
>>
>>57635369
Fair, fair.
>>
Does anybody have experience with 1440p or 4k screens on a ~15" notebook?
How well does it work when a program doesn't scale? Still usable?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.