[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TrueCrypt 7.1A bread & related discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Hello /g/. I would like to begin the thread by saying I have, for the most part, little experience with TrueCrypt, so if I make some minor mistake, cut me some slack.

I was told that TrueCrypt version 7.1A was the last "safe" version, that all versions released after that may have some sort of deliberate security weakness or flaw.
Is that true? Sticking with a specific version is fine with me, I am just checking if this is valid.
If a different version or different program is a better choice, please feel free to provide that information.

The main point of my thread is I've been around for a long fucking time, I know many of us have, & I am sure some of you remember remember the method by which you can use a device like a regular usb flash drive, or a micro sd card plugged into a usb adapter which holds an encrypted, bootable copy of the OS with support for persistent changes (changes are saved rather than with so called "live" versions in which changes do not save after a reboot.)

Now one last feature of this set up was that, depending on the password you entered to decrypt the OS file, it would either notify you that the password was invalid, or load a "dummy" mostly clean copy of the OS with few changes & few files or installed programs, or of course yet another password would load the OS that you have used heavily, the copy of the OS which has changes & new files & installed programs.

My main problem is I cannot understand how to get the whole "one password loads a mostly clean copy of the OS while another loads a heavily used copy".
I also cannot understand what program was used to actually decrypt the file. So that when you select the device from your boot menu, it would actually boot some sort of program which asks for the password. You understand what I mean? The removable storage device just has the encrypted file & nothing else, nothing which will automatically be able to boot up & prompt for a password to decrypt the file & load the encrypted OS file.
>>
7.1A was the last release by the truecrypt team and has passed an extensive security audit. There was a version 7.2 released after they were raided and it is most likely compromised.
What you're describing is a hidden volume. Google that and you'll find some good tutorials.
>>
>>57623599
Alright, hopefully that will explain how to have the whole "different password opens a different OS" feature
but how do you even get it to prompt for a password
How do you install windows xp or windows 7 for example to a flash drive or micro sd card with usb adapter, then encrypt the whole thing & have it prompt for a password when attempting to boot from the device?

Is it some EXTRA program?

That is basically all I want. A bootable, removable little media that can load up windows AFTER i enter the decryption password & I can go about my business as normal, but once I boot down or remove the device, the only way to boot back into windows is by entering the decryption string again.
>>
>>57623526
>Is that true?

The only version released after 7.1a was a stripped down version that could only decrypt a drive. But yet, 7.1a is the last effective version of TC, and it's perfectly safe.

An advance warning: Disregard /g/'s resident VeraCrypt shill(s). They go around tech sites and use comment forms to promote VeraCrypt, claiming it's a safer alternative to TC. VeraCrypt is an unauthorized fork of TC's source. The project has never undergone a full audit, so we don't know what changes have been made to the source. There was a partial, half-assed audit of selective bits of code that the author handed over, but this doesn't prove VeraCrypt is safe. For all we know, it's just the NSA's backdoored version of TC.

I can't help you troubleshoot your issues, because I always just create container files or encrypt the entire system drive, which means replacing the bootloader. What you're doing sounds more complex.
>>
>>57623683
TrueCrypt has a bootloader that it installs which handles the password entry. Pre-boot authentication.
>>
>>57623711
Oh okay, I guess I did something wrong then.
I cannot seem to get
1: TrueCrypt to load up & display a box to enter a password or anything
2: When I look around for Windows via USB or Micro SD, all I find is ways run the setup from those storage mediums, allowing me to install windows to a HD or SSD. I cannot seem to find a good guide which explains how to install windows to the actual USB flash drive or Micro SD card, so that selecting it from the boot menu loads Windows, it does not load the setup for Windows, it actually loads Windows. Big difference.

For example. programs like this
https://wintoflash.com/home/en/
This & other programs like it allow you to make lists of setups on USB drives & you choose one & the setup begins & installs it to a hard drive or solid state drive

Why is it so hard to find a guide that explains how to install it to a USB flash drive or micro SD card that is bootable & persistent (changes made save to the device properly), so I can just go to any computer, pop the device into the computer, boot it, suddenly I have a working copy of windows running on that computer & I'm able to do whatever I want, everything is the way I like it & essentially every computer becomes "MY" computer it has all my files & programs & settings & everything exactly the way I like them.
>>
>>57623851
I use http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/
How you'll actually make this work with truecrypt, I have no idea.
>>
>>57623885
well
i suppose i can go full retard and do this
1: install windows to the usb flash drive or micro sd card
2: install true crypt to that
3: install VMWare to that
4: install windows yet again as a VMWare virtual machine
5: use TrueCrypt to encrypt the virtual machine files (maybe just the virtual hard drive file)

Make sure VMWare is not leaking any temp files or other trash
that way in order to actually boot into the real windows, which is on VMWare, i will first have to use TrueCrypt to decrypt the virtual machine (or atl east its virtual hard drive file)
And of course it could have two files, one mostly clean, one heavily used, etc tc you know how the song & dance goes by now
I don't know how secure this is or if it would be a good idea at all, but it is something, a painful & slightly ridiculous workaround?
>>
>>57623885
>>57624153
And of course, I just noticed, the program you linked is not free, it is 30 dollars..
Fuck life
>>
>>57624167
There is a free version. The paid version is for enterprise stuff.
>>
File: chitose056.jpg (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
chitose056.jpg
173KB, 1920x1080px
>Not using LUKS with multiple keys
>>
>>57624182
Yeah Im reading it now
I'm not seeing any mention of MicroSD Cards, but I figure if I plug one into a MicroSD Card to USB adapter it should work just fine. Yeah? IM JUST GOING TO SAY YEAH, ITLL BE FINE

The reason I want to use a microSD Card rather than a USB flash drive is because the cards are so much more tiny & they even make those special tiny coins (pennies, nickels, quarters, whatever) to hide them inside.
>>
>>57624224
this is really alot less about protecting my data & more about ALWAYS having my computer, or everything that makes my computer "my computer", its SOUL
so no matter what I can always use any host computer to boot into MY computer, never again losing my installations or having to redo everything & get it the way i like it
and all my accounts & passwords & other such things will never be lost, but always be very secure
>>
>>57624260
>but always be very secure
i mean from normies of course, not the uber 1337 CIA
hence the password & hiding it in a coin
>>
>>57624229
An sdcard will work, though depending on the speed class it might be a bit slow.

Even BitLocker is enough to hide from normies. Definitely not the government though.
>>
>>57624260
The best way I can think of doing this is using FDE and making regular disk clones (somethig like Clonezilla, at least once a week).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.