[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Moral Imperative of Technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Amiga_Workbench_1_0.png (23KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga_Workbench_1_0.png
23KB, 400x250px
When they were designing the UI for Workbench they chose colors that would look best on the worst television they could find. They actively hunted for it, and paid more for that than a better one, simply so they could have a benchmark to work from.

The first webpage, on the first website, opens promising "universal access." And Tim Berners-Lee declared at the Olympics that the web was "for everyone."

Yet today we have software writers using the entirety of up-to-date hardware for meagre tasks, and the web, which has ballooned in size, is out of the reach of the bandwidth and computers of many people who would benefit most from access to it.

Even on /g/ anyone that doesn't buy the "latest and greatest" is considered an outcast.

When did technology become so elitist?
>>
What are you talking about? Tech hasn't been cheaper and more capable. A $200 tablet will do most of what people want
>>
>>57617522
Note that I didn't specify first worlders, nor does anything I said specify them, other than the lament that they are the one target audience.
>>
>>57617559
That couldn't be more wrong. Tech is extremely accessible even for people not privileged enough to live in first world countries. I don't know what rock you've been living under, but a huge amount of people in developing countries have access to Internet and own electronic devices. Something like 30% which really is quite something.

An absolutely impoverished person does not benefit from electronics in the slightest. When you're worrying about MAYBE fucking eating the internet is the least of your worries
>>
>>57617559
You're also looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. Modern tech has always been prohibitavely expensive. Simply being able to buy a personal computer for the "low" price of several thousand was a milestone. Now with the widespread use of soc's and cheap manufacturing you can get machines several times more powerful and useful for a few hundred dollars.

How this isn't progress is beyond me.
>>
>>57617467
Technology was elitist back when an average tier PC still cost and arm and a leg.
>>
>>57617870
Progress stopped after the mid 00s when hardware, operating systems, applications, and the web started being dumbed down so that literal retarded monkeys can become tech consumers too.
>>
systems need to go functional and the web too need to become functional.

Are you ready /g/?
>>
You keep making this fucking thread because you don't get the answer and gay little echo chamber you want.

Things change from what they were first used for. See: every other invention ever made.

It "ballooned in size" because it became possible to handle other types of media like video and there's no way to properly handle that as a website without having more resources.

You can easily get along on youtube on 480p with a C2D from 10 years ago. Meanwhile in your precious circlejerk retro shit era you were miserably out of date within the year. You're actually living in the future you want to live right now, you just won't admit it because you're a scared luddite. You've completely fallen for the age meme.

The web is "for everyone" and "everyone" has decided they want video, entertainment, and modern software that runs on the web. you don't get to decide that it's for "document processing" or whatever made up psuedo-pretentious shit you pretend to be into to roleplay that you're better than everyone else, just because you were here first.

BBS and usenet shits think they know how to run the internet because of this but tend to ban 99% of users on sight because they don't repeat whatever stupid wrong shit their private channel circlejerk has been jerking for decades and then we see free speech dying next day air guaranteed overnight express because BBS shits think they're better than everyone else. An internet actually run by usenet spergs would be scary as hell.
>>
>>57618117
You were literally just arguing that tech is "elitist" then you complain they're dumbing it down too much. That's what it means to be accessible. Your grandma being able to do her banking then chat with her kids is just as valid as ebin shitposts.
>>
>>57617817
>30%
>everyone
lol nice math
>>
>>57617467
>Even on /g/ anyone that doesn't buy the "latest and greatest" is considered an outcast.
That's simply false.

Using not-up-to-date hardware but hardware with street cred for being reliable is the staple meme of /g/entoomen
>>
>>57618330
When you're a retarded luddite like OP, everything posted here is going to seem like "the latest and greatest", because even a single core mobile chipset 2004 thinkpad will destroy this 80s trash.

This isn't about money, you can get a C2D for $30 which would let you do 99% of modern tasks with a free linux distro. Even people living below the poverty line can easily afford that one time. This is about pretending to be better than everyone else. he just wants computers to be shit so it can be a cs dropout sekret club, just like all the other losers pining for the "good ol days"
>>
>>57618327
>Everyone
>>
>>57618229
Do you spend your entire day on this website?
>>
>>57618423
yes. don't tell anyone, I get paid to shill technology made only in the last decade. my employer is "society"
>>
>>57618504
Ok loser
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.