[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS Major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12

Why does everyone make a joke of CS Major?
Am I missing something?
>>
>>57606539
if you don't do your fucking work you'll just have a meme degree
>>
Because American companies want to hire Indians and Koreans with H-1B visas for 10 cents on the dollar what they would be expected to pay an American, so your degree is worthless unless you are willing to work for McDonald's wages.
>>
File: d24.jpg (116KB, 680x651px) Image search: [Google]
d24.jpg
116KB, 680x651px
>>57606579
>implying it'll be a problem with trump in power
>>
>>57606606
>trump wants to expand h-1b
>>
>>57606644
you shills don't even try anymore.
>>
>>57606539
>get CS degree after 7 years of college and failing courses over and over at one point because depressed and shit
>2.5GPA
>graduate
>post resume on monster.com
>6 interviews and 3 months later 60k/year job
i..it's okay I think....
>>
>>57606732
why does this sound like my future
>>
>>57606539
CS is a joke. I got a 3.99 GPA without any effort. The only A- I got was in some writing course in the English department.
>>
>>57606881
dam u one smart nigga tb.h
>>
File: 1469160703315.gif (359KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
1469160703315.gif
359KB, 640x636px
>>57606732
>>57606845
I can relate too, hopefully it will work out
>>
>>57607023
>hopefully

Do not trust hope... for it has forsaken these lands.
>>
who cares what /g/ thinks of any given major? do you think anyone here has any idea what they're talking about?
>>
>>57607066
>66
satan confirms
>>
>>57606732
I already have a meme degree and want this so badly.
>>
>>57606539
/sci/ memes plus >>57606579

But i'm starting to think there must be something going on with those H1-B visas, why not get other people like europeans. japs and some latin americans?
>>
I went to a small liberal arts college with a not-particularly-prestigious comp sci department and everyone I know who majored in it had high paying jobs straight out of college. One of them got 80k a year right out of the gate.
>>
>>57606732
Exactly me. Depression at one point I guess. Didn't have to confidence to even try. I'm doing a lot better right now. Finally about to transfer and getting all A's and B's. Trying to compensate by building projects to hopefully land an internship my senior year. Trying to work at google for that 6 figure pay.
>>
Im doing a double CS CompE and I'm making $110k starting at a medium sized tech company.
>>
>>57606732
>fails multiple courses
>still gets 60k after school
This is somewhat comforting to hear as someone who is in a similar boat. God speed anon.
>>
>>57607023

I'm sure it will all wor - ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
>>
File: 1463315548319.jpg (124KB, 750x915px) Image search: [Google]
1463315548319.jpg
124KB, 750x915px
>>57607495

Do you want to hire me? I'm currently sought after for my business development skill-set and have experience in providing SaaS solutions, specifically regarding e-commerce in the automotive industry. I also have a fundamental understanding of C++, HTML & CSS, systems design, and network management. Currently working on a CCNA and just want to apply this knowledge in a practical sense.

Just pay me, ffs

ffs sake, just pay me.
>>
>>57607205
>why not get other people like europeans. japs

Because they'll be expecting to get paid like normal people. Indians accept 10% normal wages.
>>
>>57606539
The same reason /v/ makes a joke of PC gaming. Shitposting.

CS is legitimately one of the best degrees to finish with. IT is one of the fastest growing markets and some of the highest paying entry-level positions you can find. If you go to a decent school and aren't at the bottom of the class, you can net a 60k starting easy.
>>
>>57606881
Wow, do you want a shirt?
>>
>tfw 45k starting as cs grad in Canada

Fuck, this is around the norm here. Unless you do nepotism.

Took me a year to get this one after I turned down the first one for the same amount.

Only doing this shit because it's a 10 minute drive away.

I have no clue how people live 9-5, this is going to wreck me.

I'm a junior c# developer starting soon.
>>
>>57610893
Sounds like you went to a shit university.
>>
Whats the average starting pay for IT bachelors?
>>
>>57606539
here's the real deal
-- none of that math is useful in 99% of jobs
-- none of that theory is useful in 99% of jobs
you're gonna wanna find the "stack" that most companies mistakenly think is "entry level"

for java this is: core java, servlet, jsp, spring, spring mvc, and god help you probably html, css, javascript and.. angularjs. i highly recommend javabrains which is free.

for c#, i have no idea. but im sure there's some websites, and its all the .NET stuff and lync.

with that out of the way also note you need to know sql and databases. you need a "full stack" project with a website, app, and database. like a little e-commerce shop that sells widgets.

okay ready

1. fucking code
2. more, nigger
3. keep going
4. thats a good boy
5. do you have a hithub of two respectable fullstack apps yet?
6. are you seriously considering suicide? lol pussy code more
7. more
8. no one said you get to enjoy your sunday, code more
9. okay
10. now go to that career fair with your 3 projects and internships (you did do an internship, right?)

t. depressed dev1 at major company
>>
>>57611360
>-- none of that theory is useful in 99% of jobs
>learn dependency injection

>t. depressed dev1 at major company
I don't believe you.

You don't need any internships. Load your resume with tool chain shit and you'll have two dozen entry-level jobs lined up in a few months. It's so easy for kids out of college to get a job in America but no one tells them how.

You just load your resume with keywords from the job description and then as many tools as you can. Git, maven, chef, whatever garbage you've even remotely seen just put on there and when they grill you in the interview just tell them you're somewhat familiar and you'd use for x and y situations and why they're useful. If they think you've never used it before just avoid it. Go ahead and put repositories like bitbucket on there too, just knowing how to navigate that garbage gives you a slight edge over the applicants that don't mention it.
>>
>>57610893
where'd you go to school m8
>>
File: 1479261576286.jpg (266KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479261576286.jpg
266KB, 1000x1000px
>>57606539
>cs major
>4.0
>interviews at northrop grumman, booz allen hamilton, and lockheed martin.

It's only a meme if you make it a meme.
Do your fucking work.
>>
>>57606732
>first semester freshman and studying EEE
>scared of failing my classes and I'm already failing 3 out of 6 of them this semester
>see this
Thanks for giving me hope
>>
File: 1479513421509.jpg (77KB, 616x684px) Image search: [Google]
1479513421509.jpg
77KB, 616x684px
>>57606732
yep same here but 6 interviews over 8 months.

I was promised 300k starting any job I want, where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>57611714
What's with all this Asukaposting lately? I know it's her birthday soon, but we're no longer run by raging Asukafag, so there's no need to pander, right?
>>
File: contemplation.png (386KB, 543x405px) Image search: [Google]
contemplation.png
386KB, 543x405px
>study cs @ community college for a few years
>can't get a job as a programmer
>get a job as a teacher teaching people to program
>quiting next month
i dont want to teach anymore halp
>>
>>57606539
An EE is allowed to do computer science bullshit.
A CS isn't allowed to do engineering bullshit.
>>
>>57606539
Cause it's for retards that couldn't get an engineering degree
>>
>>57611970
Hiroshima confirmed Asuka was best girl
>>
>>57611966
you belived them
>>
>>57611955
>Fail out of university math/cs hybrid degree
>Join military in technical job
>After getting out of military, take shitty contract working for big name tech company, live in 60 sq foot rented room in Silicon Valley
>Be one of the few people who is competent and willing to learn new things. Be the only person willing to work night shift and not complain about it.
>Get hired as full-time employee by team I was contracting with because they know I'm not an idiot
>6 figure income by mid-20's

There are lots of paths to success as long as you're intelligent, competent, friendly, and willing to accept short-term discomfort for long-term gain.

Most people have none of these qualities.
>>
Ok, so here's the deal. I fucking love theory, like automata, compilers, complexity theory, operating systems, algorithms and such. But I literally fucking hate development (based on the experience of my internship -- I had to do web development and app development and I absolutely hated every second of it).
Are there any good options for me considering my interests? I'm not very keen in doing a Ph.D and becoming a professor in some university.
>>
>>57616685
You do realize development isn't just web/app development? That's just a very small, yet highly concentrated in the public eye portion of general development.
There's developing on operating systems, working with AI (robots, games), working on compilers, and IDEs, etcetcetc.

Like really, it doesn't seem like you've tried looking at all for yourself. As typical of CS majors I suppose, they all just want their path in life to be explicitly detailed for them.
>>
>>57616726
Yeah, should've mentioned web/app development. But do these companies hire people who haven't done Ph.Ds in the respective fields?
Like, almost anyone can do app development, but operating systems, for example, requires very high technical expertise.

Also, it's because of posts like this >>57611360
that I think that 'most' of the development is like that.
>>
>>57616799
It's going to be highly skewed in that way because that's where most devs (who post on social media, including 4chan) operate. That's just the way of the world, majority of devs will never be in really specialized fields like AI.

If you're really into what you say you are, then look for ways to get into those fields. Yes, companies regularly hire people without Ph.D's, but in a lot of those fields Ph.D's are extremely important due to all the research that is being done (where all the money is being spent).
>>
>>57616878
Thank man, you give me hope.
>If you're really into what you say you are, then look for ways to get into those fields.
Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>57606732
i am sitting in a math class for my CS major right now and don't get a single thing , because i have a stress caused tinnitus for the last 3 weeks. getting really depressed bc of it.

you are giving me hope
>>
>>57616967
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/careers/
Take a look at tech giants and their careers available, and especially any research fields they utlize (ie just searching "research google" will probably give you their site, or "research tesla"). I've linked microsoft as an example but I'm absolutely sure nearly every tech giant has similar, they're all spending millions on research and development after all.
But again, a lot of these fields that don't utilize actual development rely heavily on academic reputation, therefore without a Ph.D, you're pretty fucked.
However, you might still be into development, just not web/app development. So don't entirely limit yourself based on your web/app experiences. You might absolutely love creating algorithms for example.

You're in a pretty good position, so you should overall be pretty optimistic. A lot of people absolutely hate the abstract and theory side of development, but it's important.
Anyways, good luck m8ty, now is the fun part - finding something that really inspires you and chasing it.
>>
>>57607205
>>57608699
This. When we go to USA we expect higher pay, therefore we give up our social and health security.
>>
>>57612131
This is somewhat true. I have a BS in CS and had a hard time getting jobs. Returned and got a second BC in computer engineering (few classes cause I started as EE). Now I get pinged for a job interview every two weeks.
>>
>>57606732
Is Depression a common thing for CS majors? Everyone I seem to talk to who study this shit have breakdowns regularly. Is it really that stressful and unfulfilling?
>>
>>57619127
Nope just weak minded beta cucks

>majoring in programming
>Minoring in math
>dabbling in networking
>might look at aerospace eng for graduate
>don't know what I'm going to do but I'm relatively smart (125?) and innovative and I have a serious inventor and creative streak (along with some shit manlet genetics thanks daddy-o)so i'm working my ass off and I'm confident that I'm going to be able to launch products and projects and be successful

you just gotta be hardworking, open minded, and optimistic
>>
>>57619275
Forgot to mention:

Everyone ITT, work on your social and communication skills because that's one of your major advantages over pajeets
>>
>>57619275
Funny, I'm sort of doing the same thing as you (except that aerospace shit, best of luck to you for that) What kind of program are you in?
>>
>>57619127
idk I think it's an individual thing

personally when I have a bug/error I can't fix if I can't fix it in like 15 minutes I start getting more and more depressed until I cry and want to cut myself

I usually have to take a break and then come back

I hate CS though and I'm switching to [spoiler]geological sciences[/spoiler] so hopefully things will be better in the future.
>>
>>57619127
Studying CS is chill.
Working can be soul-sucking, but oh well, that's pretty much like very other job.
>>
>>57616608
>Be the only person willing to work night shift and not complain about it.

Don't tell me that you believe that is going to be to your advantage, because from my experience that way you'll show them that you'll make for a good punching bag who'll take any shit.
>>
>>57616608
How long did it take you to get long term work from the night shifts?
>>
>>57619398
I guess that depends on whether he means "willing to work" as in "volunteered to do so" or "boss moved me to night".
>>
>>57619305
honors CS at Central Connecticut State
It's a garbage school but it's all I can afford right now, I fucked around first semester so i'm bringing my GPA up and hoping to transfer somewhere nicer soon and get some scholarships.
I'm trying to keep my options open and get as much knowledge as I can because obviously someone who taught themselves C is just as good as, if not better than, one of those cs grad memes in java
>Haskell or die desu
I thought about chemistry and medical but it just doesn't appeal to me as much
>>
Honestly my college experience has been pretty great. In learning a ton of shit that I would never have been motivated to learn before

how do autodidacts do it?
>>
>>57611714
>Northrop Grumman

Used to work at a hotel that got sold out to these fuckers for a week at a time so they could work with Cummins.

They are awful fucking guests.
>>
>>57606539
There are many reasons. Tech companies in the US almost exclusively hire H1-Bs over Americans because they're cheaper. People who only take the courses and don't work outside of the degree on personal or group projects don't actually learn much on how computers function (and go on to become really shitty developers most of the time). You could have just gotten an entry-level job and worked your way up in the time you went to college. You have to be able to network but it tends to work out better.
>>
>>57610893
>45k
>Developer
That's Indian wage in the US. The start for devs is closer to 75k average here. (excluding silicon valley and redmond)
>>
>>57611360
>you're gonna wanna find the "stack" that most companies mistakenly think is "entry level"
This, it's fucking ridiculous.

I know java, I don't know JS+angular+coffescript+node+<insert any other fucking thing HR pulled out of their ass here>
>>
>>57622134

Yeah no shit. Canada is fucked.
>>
>>57622685
Nah, just people who went to mediocre schools and barely did anything but the bare minimum to pass.

>t. dropout who's first ever job was 60k doing nothing but being the idea man & minimal maintenance
>>
>>57608317
Employers who hire CS majors typically don't care about your degree if you can't perform in the interview. My next-door neighbor hired a guy who was working on his Associate's. He eventually stopped studying because he was doing well enough, and my neighbor is happy to pay him so long as he does good work,
>>
>>57623293

I dunno, share me your knowledge bud. Pretty sure the only way is nepotism.
>>
>>57623688
>build portfolio & social standing
>get job
i mean it's really that easy, granted autism isn't a serious problem in your life nor are you uber picky with shit and expecting 100k from google for your shitty uni projects

the tech industry really can't afford to stick so strictly to nepotism 2bh

>>57622180
>I don't know JS
embarrassing & demonstrates your lack of care 2bh
>>
>>57623753

I mean, I have zero experience, no internships what so ever at that salary. All I have is an app and my education.

Though, I still feel like I would have been able to get 50-60k in the US. Not Canada though.
>>
>>57607205
Everyone is going to tell you that it's because Asians will work for less money, but that's really only half the reason.
The other half is that, as much as everyone hates to admit it, Asians are just smart. I don't mean they are genetically predisposed to being better at math or certain fields, but education is valued much higher in those countries than it is in America and Europe.
We have an attitude where 'all you have to do is try your hardest,' but over there they don't have any concept like that. It's either you're smart or you aren't.
>>
>>57619127
>Is Depression a common thing for CS majors?
No, this meme is a common thing for faggots.
You had never been depressed in your pathetic life. Even if you were to come to a genuine realization of how retarded and worthless you are in your memepression - you won't be in a position to be actually depressed.
Holy shit, what a bunch of brats.
>>
>>57623856
Why would you feel you are able to get ~70k(CAD) in the US which is an even more competitive market? How does that make ANY sense whatsoever??
>>
>>57624120

Sounds like the US market is better than Canada's when it comes to tech.

Even if you check average salaries, it's higher in US by a fair margin.
>>
>>57624159
It's more competitive because it can afford to be such due to shitting out a whole lot of grads, and due to higher competition the wages are also higher. This isn't even taking into account the vast differences between trying to get a job where all the tech giants are, and trying to find something in west virginia. Nor that cost of living in a place where the tech jobs are (ie sanfran vs toronto for example), the US ends up costing you a fuck lot more (see: basically double your monthly spending).

Average salaries between countries isn't a worthwhile metric btw.
Grass will always be greener on the other side.
>>
>graduate in CS from mediocre program
>spend 4 years at fast-paced startup, learned 90% of what i know at the job
>underpaid due to it being a startup
>now moving to TX to join similar-sized startup, finally making over 6 figures

i think i did all right
>>
>>57624264

I feel like it's a pretty fair comparison given how similar the US and Canada is. Everything you said is true for Canada.

>and due to higher competition the wages are also higher

That doesn't even make sense. The more competition there is for a job, the less need for employers to have higher wages because people will take what they can get.

Granted, I don't work in Toronto. I work north because fuck that 1 hour+ commute.
>>
>>57610893
>canada'

no shit mate, you'll never make money here
>>
>>57624639
he means competition for developers. it is an amazingly achievement to be unemployable as a journeyman programmer on the West Coast. developers that distinguish themselves in the industry can get offered 7-figure stock option packages by the bigger players.
>>
>>57624639
They're similar due to media only, and living relatively all near each other. For everything else it's pretty fucking different.
If you don't work in Toronto then congrats, you're saving even more money. 1 hour commutes are nothing, people are regularly doing 2. I'd say 3+ is where people hit their limits.

What you said about competition only applies to entry level positions. Any higher position and companies increase the pay to foster competition and attract better talent.
>>
>>57619429
Less than a year, but the long-term position was a night shift position. I stayed on night as long as I could once I got the long-term position as they paid 10% extra and I almost never had to speak with management directly (which appealed to me at the time).
>>
>>57619446
The short-term contract position was for night shifts, so it wasn't a surprise, but they kept me on days long past the normal training period. When they finally moved me to nights, it was because someone else was leaving, but I'd been expecting it for months.
>>
>>57623495
All the good employers do care about your education. All the ones who either went to a shit university or have no degree get immediately weeded out before even the phone interview stage.
>>
>>57619127
No it's just the demographic. It's not real depression, the major attracts all the procrastinators and underachievers who spend their time playing video games instead of actually programming then are failling half their courses.
>>
File: QjF0f9X.gif (369KB, 300x302px) Image search: [Google]
QjF0f9X.gif
369KB, 300x302px
>>57611966
>he thinks he can get a 300k salary without a maths degree
>>
>>57616685
>>57616726
>Are there any good options for me considering my interests? I'm not very keen in doing a Ph.D and becoming a professor in some university.
If you try for a masters you can work on a cool project like robots and or machine learning because 1) you study it 2) your supervisor will give you access to the resources needed to study that stuff. With a masters you can get out with a couple academic papers to your name, learned some cool new technology, and will likely get picked up by a large company to continue work on that technology you helped advance with a decent salary.
>>
>>57606539
Because CS major (in the US at least) has devolved into shittier Software Engineering. Whilst SE is just one facet of actual CS. CS is a subset of mathematics with engineering put on top. Somehow people have gotten the idea that's it's just 'le coding'. I've seen people complain about their non-programming CS classes. Which shows they have no idea what CS is and should just do SE. This is why it is a meme because it's shit-tier engineering and shit-tier science. It's not well-defined and CS majors are always retarded if they don't focus on the mathematics part, i.e the core of it. It's watered down, shittier amalgamated version of several other fields. It doesn't have to be like this, but this is as it's taught, more and more so.
>>
It's meant for socially awkward and insecure people. It's for people who play video games when they know they shouldn't. It's for people who go around with an anime keychain because they're finally an adult and can do whatever they want. It's for people who do anything they can to seem better due to their insecurities of course. And the feeling of their parent's disappointment. Those whose parents have stopped asking when they'll get a girlfriend. For ones that refuse to admit they use Google and Stack overflow. Ones that know 755554433 languages because they're better than you.

Get out while you can. One of the worst majors. There's a reason why there's a social stigma about computer science and why it's awkward to say you're in it. Even the people in it aren't happy with it. Even the professors are autistic.

Yes, any women you'll meet in it are the lowest of the low. EXTREME mental issues. There are no women in CS, but if you're unfortunate enough to meet one, you'll wish you hadn't. Not worth it. No matter how desperate you are.

Leave. Get out. Don't look back. Don't think it's just a natural transition if you're socially awkward and spend most of your life playing video games and using computers. Leave. You can fight it. Don't give in.

Trust me. I had CS as a major before I switched. It was a real wake up call. I guess you can say I was never passionate in that case, but I don't know. I really didn't want to spend the rest of my life around those types of people. Saw the writing on the wall.

Plus just pick a real major and you can pay for all the code monkeys you want. It's much better to just pay people to code than to do it yourself.
>>
>>57626603

>tfw you just got hired as a junior dev and now you miss your computer science buddies from university that were total bros and lifted and stuff

Feels bad man...
>>
File: IMG_20161114_110941.jpg (1009KB, 1080x1382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161114_110941.jpg
1009KB, 1080x1382px
>>57606539
IT is the real meme degree
>>
>>57626603
>It's meant for socially awkward and insecure people. It's for people who play video games when they know they shouldn't. It's for people who go around with an anime keychain because they're finally an adult and can do whatever they want.

You are kidding yourself if you seriously think these are the people that end up with CS degrees.

You are right that there is a large amount of people that START a CS degree that are like this, but that is different. They think it's what they want to do because 'lol I dunno I like video games and am SUCH A NERD, blah blah blah' but realize that it is not at all what they want to do in reality.
>>
>>57627156
I studied CS because I heard it was easy and good money. Spent most of my time in college playing video games and watching anime and still managed to graduate at the top of my class. It's a joke really.
>>
>>57627191
Either you went to a joke of a school, or you're one of the few that picks up on the hard stuff (algorithm design, systems comprehension, etc.) quickly. Most people struggle in good CS programs because most people aren't prepared to think intensely and rigorously about how things work and keep going until they understand what's happening.
>>
>>57627191
>>57627361
>went to a joke of a school
this

for me, the hard stuff hasn't even been algorithm design or anything that theoretical; that comes naturally.
the hard part is putting in enough work (read:extracurricular coding) to actually seem knowledgeable and authentic. When we're put in group projects, I can talk dumb scrum shit on slackware or recite design patterns all day long, but it's that one dude who knows every last fucking c# and .NET functionality never taught in even the optional classes that will actually flourish. It's all useless if you don't have practice with when and how to implement this shit.

As for >>57626603

get to graduate level courses and the fact that seemingly everyone is on the spectrum is MUCH less important than how much fucking better they are than you. If you're more concerned with meeting women in your field or being perceived as an autist by "everyone" than you are about the nature of what you're studying then you hopefully OBVIOUSLY shouldn't do it.
>>
>>57627137
Lol holy shit, just get certificates. Literally the same classes done in half the time.
>>
>>57627137
>Core Unit Options
>Am I black enough? Indigenous Austrailian Representations
>>
>>57627137
I sincerely hope the first course is not about next step.
>>
>>57606732
>4 year degree
>$60k/year
>tfw plumbers, welders, electricians, and construction workers make more
>tfw cops and firefighters make 2x
>tfw a good bartender who doesn't report tips can have more purchasing power after taxes

And people wonder why talented, high IQ types with money/connections are going into medicine and finance while the poorfag ones are playing vidya on mommy's couch.

Or why the entire fucking IT industry has become a meme of bugs, slow/inefficient software, and security that's so shit that stars and politicians get hacked on a daily basis.

Or why web sites are bloated, buggy shit.

Every single last H1B visa immigrant needs to be shipped back home. No exceptions, no excuses. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>57608700
>IT is one of the fastest growing markets

IT has been saturated since the dot com bubble burst. Everyone telling you otherwise stands to make money off people believing them. Colleges are obvious, but the valley crying "we need moar talent!" is how they get dumbfuck Congress to let in more Pajeets.
>>
>>57617147
>applying at microsoft
>ever

Only if you're Pajeet. If you're white you'll be replaced before your first pay raise.
>>
>>57606881
lol, enjoy your anon accredited degree friend
>>
>>57630481
>>tfw plumbers, welders, electricians, and construction workers make more
>>tfw cops and firefighters make 2x
Why is this a bad thing? They're doing an exhausting job that will fuck them physically by their 50s if they even last that long.
>>
Going into my first internship next year. What should I try to learn on the job? I know a lot of shit isn't actually taught in class that employers somehow expect you to know already.
>>
>>57606539
Meme degree only praised by liberals because they lack actual ambitions.
You think people are enrolling in mass in CS because it's their passion?
No, their only incentive to study this subject is the guaranteed piggy bank.
CS now has a bad reputation because of this.
>>
>>57630636
Is there a distinction between IT and CS where you come from? Here it's understood that CS might make you less money but is the more academic route.
>>
>>57619127
only for stupid americans. CS is a course compared to real electrical engineering.
>>
I'm getting good grades (maybe 90-95th percentile?) but I know for a fact that I don't actually know many "worthwhile" things. I have to find an internship by the end of school year but I doubt I'll be able to find anything non web-related...
>>
>>57630656
I'm not so sure. People would assume that IT and CS are essentially the same subject, but under different labels, but that really depends on how it's perceived in your country, a niche and rigorous academic field, or a code monkey factory, and it goes without saying that the latter notion dominates everywhere, and so CS courses have been watered down to pander to those poor saps.
I don't know much about IT to tell you.
>>
>>57630720
In europe (dunno about britbongland) the distinction is pretty clear. "Codemonkey" formations last for about 2 years while actual computer science and "advanced" IT shit last for about 5 years.
>>
>>57630720
You're right.

An IT degree in Australia is structured around maintaining systems that help aboriginals collect the Dole while in USA it's about setting up large servers to store all that cuck porn and in Sweden it's all about learning how to network up the dildo machine so patrons can wirelessly select their favourite Quran verses to listen to during
>>
>>57625853
This. Even though i spent a total of 3 hours in playing video games in a week, its been a help on my anxiety. I do have low grades on history and basic economics for not attending enough class hours, at least i spend more time working on my major. I do ruminate sometimes about that trade cost.
>>
>>57622134
Can confirm, buddy went to shit private school with no cs rep at all whatsoever, and made 60k out of the gate, and is making 70k in ohio now.
>>
>>57627137
Yea your IT degree is a meme. Mine is ABET accredited, core units requires discrete 1/2, programming 1/2, data structures, algos, stats/calc. Its also a business minor less a few classes built in.

Ive already got a nice comfy MSP job with real growth prospects while i finish up the degree (btw in a flyover state)
>>
>>57630620
>Why is this a bad thing? They're doing an exhausting job that will fuck them physically by their 50s if they even last that long.

Because computing needs high IQ people. The rest do not. They just need dedicated, hard workers who aren't idiots.
>>
>>57627137
>Australia has about studies

Can't make this shit up tbqh
>>
>>57630718
>I doubt I'll be able to find anything non web-related...

So it's like the job market?

You're probably going to end up programming for the web. Accept it now.
>>
>>57630720
>People would assume that IT and CS are essentially the same subject

What? No. IT is about computers. CS is about computation. Very little you learn in CS is going to help you become a sysadmin. Very little you learn in IT is going to help you write code. IT and CS are very different degrees for very different career paths.
>>
>>57606539

In my experience, most people with a cs degree can't actually code. Maybe it was my school, but like 60% of the graduating class couldn't handle an embedded system if it bit them in the ass
>>
>>57632608
Well it's not just the school. It's the students fault too. CS isn't something you can just do the bare minimum on assignments and hope you can be a worthwhile employee.
>>
File: 1476815228786.jpg (155KB, 670x794px) Image search: [Google]
1476815228786.jpg
155KB, 670x794px
>>57606539
thank fucking kek im a CE major
>>
>>57632511
nope, I plan on taking the academic path
>>
File: me.jpg (323KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
323KB, 800x591px
>>57625969
>tfw math but no cs
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.