[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these the most autistic people on the Internet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: autism.png (51KB, 1410x129px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
51KB, 1410x129px
Are these the most autistic people on the Internet?
>>
>st has no features
>written entirely in C89
>to add features, you need to add patches and recompile
>to change settings, you need to change macro flags and recompile

suckless is autism incarnate
>>
No. They're fighting the good fight.

http://suckless.org/sucks/systemd
>>
>>57603800
no, they're just crying about decades of poor architecture choices

Rightly so, I might add if you consider the current cancerous state of software
>>
>>57603800
No, that would be the cat-v people.
>>
being able to read and understand how a terminal emulator works in an hour is pretty cool 2bh
>>
Nah, these people: http://harmful.cat-v.org/
>>
File: 1461387736414.jpg (6KB, 108x72px) Image search: [Google]
1461387736414.jpg
6KB, 108x72px
>>57607453
>harmful software
>vim

>a listed alternative is ed
>>>>fucking ed
>>
>Home of dwm, dmenu and other quality software with a focus on simplicity, clarity, and frugality.

I have to recompile every time I want to change the settings, it's so simpleā„¢.
>>
>>57607620
running make install is only one extra step
>>
>>57607620
You had to reinstall LILO each time you wanted to change the settings, yet LILO is a simple boot loader.
>>
>>57607453

jesus, there are some autistic and bitter people out there...
>>
>>57607453
head is harmful? how? I always figured all it did was read n (default 10) lines of a file and print them to stdout. How is that harmful?
>>
>>57607684
The main guy behind cat-v.org killed himself some years ago though, and the page received only very limited updates since then.
>>
>>57607671
I've never used LILO so I wouldn't know but I do know it has been discontinued. Also a boot loader is a bit different from a terminal emulator or a window manager.

>>57607660
An extremely unnecessary extra step that I don't want to have to take to change a simple setting because of some developer's autistic definition of "simplicity". Changing a value in a plain text file is simple, editing C code and recompiling is the opposite of simple.
>>
>>57607782
>open editor
>edit
>close editor
>reload program

>open editor
>edit
>close editor
>make install
>reload program

wow
>>
>>57607453
>harmful software
>GNU Coreutils
>GNU Screen
>GNU info
>GCC

What does RMS think of this?
>>
>>57607860
You're right, it's so simple. For example if you want to add custom keybinds to dwm just use this simple syntax:

static const char *keybindname[]   = { "command", "flags", "arguments", NULL };

And this is how you make a window start as a floating window:

{ "Firefox",     NULL,       "Firefox Preferences",        1 << 8,         True,     -1 },

wow
>>
>>57607720
>>57607720
Unix philosophy... The same reason why Systemd is shit. Because it does more than one thing at once (it reads AND prints) would be better to have dedicated software for each.
>>
>>57608185
so if a program assigns something to a variable AND checks the condition of the variable, the program isn't following the UNIX philosophy?
>>
>>57607506
I mean, it is the standard text editor you know
>>
>>57608012
>C syntax
>complicated
Why are you even on /g/?
>>
Too little, too late?
They should have been influencing software design when it needed to be influenced 25 years ago, not by starting from scratch today

their entire project is worthless and they're just being spiteful and wasting their time.

They should drop what they're doing and change the future, not rewrite the past.

Talk about sad, pathetic autists.
>>
>>57608702
Talk about retarded, uneducated opinion.
>>
>>57603825
It also manages to be SLOWER than urxvt.
>>
>>57608702
Ok, so what should they be doing? To me their criticism is constructive, they point out what design principles are healthy and what is wrong with things they consider bad.
>>
>>57609022
slower how?
>>
>>57608977
I'm sure you're making the world a better place by using ed instead of nano, Paul.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>57603858
You probably shouldn't take seriously people who think that systemd-importd is inside pid1.
>>
>>57609053
Line insertion speed is slower than in urxvt, and urxvt has scroll back support.

It also has a bug with the graphical charset and cursor save/restore.

And in perf pageup/down don't work with st, or any other slang based program really, because their terminfo is slightly broken.
>>
>>57609095
>Line insertion speed is slower than in urxvt
there is a variable that restricts that in the config.h file

I don't know why, but it's there
>>
>>57607860
>open editor
>edit
>close editor
>reload program

>open editor
>edit
>close editor
>cd usr/src/linux; make && make modules_install; make install
>reload program

wow
>>
>>57608575
It's not complicated but it's more complicated than it should be, software lacking basic functionality isn't simple, it's shit.

All suckless does is reinvent the wheel, they make something that already exists but remove half of the functionality thus halving the size and then call it simple. They have their own terminal emulator (which has less features than xterm), their own tiling wm, their own shitty web browser (that can only display web pages and follow links), their own shitty web server (can only display static pages), their own IRC client, etc. They have like 2 or 3 cool things but that's it, most of their software is something you would see on some random kid's blog saying "I wrote a IRC client in only 250 lines of code!".
>>
>>57609133
we get it
you compile your own kernel
>>
>>57603825
You can adjust the font-size on the fly, so it has that feature.
>>
i kinda like dwm
>>
>>57609144
t. faggot who don't know how to recompile
>>
>>57607453
My god, this guy is retarded.
>>
>>57604354
Going from one extreme (super bloated crap) to another (ridiculous minimalism) isn't progress.
>>
>>57607453
>don't use HTTP
>OSS4 > ALSA
>recommends JSON
>SQL databases are bad
>pThreads are bad

this dude is autistic as shit holy fuck
>>
>>57609144
simple != retard friendly
>>
>>57609871
Agreed. It's reasonable to want software that's easy to use.
But you don't get that with super minimal software, because minimalism isn't simplicity.
>>
what's wrong with lisp other than not being used enough?
>>
>>57610055
>(((lisp)))
>>
>>57610070
jews are master race
homogenized race, can get away with anything
have higher iq than all other groups
are born into high positions of power

you can only way, goyim, you're literally made for serving me
>>
>>57610055
dynamic typing
but not much else
>>
>>57610098
>dynamic typing
fuck you, its much convenient to have nil and t be special
>>
>>57607453

> tcc is an alternative to gcc
> he doesn't realize tcc is a toy for compiling shit during run time
>>
>>57603800
Nice dubs
I have a 14/80 empathy score
>>57609133
>cd $src_st && nvim conf.h
>EDITING
>:x
>makepkg -sirc
>>
>>57607908
He probably doesn't have any strong opinions about it. Stallman cares about software freedom, not whether software is good/bad/minimal/complex/simple/etc.

I once emailed him expressing my concerns over something that was being taught in a classroom: "the Free Software Foundation is a group of volunteers dedicated to creating good software that anyone can use without paying".

When I told him the statement, in practice, because of most if not all GNU software is available free of charge, is like 20% correct, though extremely misleading, he replied saying something along the lines of: "The statement is completely wrong. You're right, our software is now available free of charge, but we at the FSF don't care about whether a piece of software is good. We only demand it to respect your freedom."
>>
>>57607453
They're alright.
http://harmful.cat-v.org/political-correctness/girls-in-CS
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.