[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So question about tech job demand and indias taking them Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Ki8FCZB.jpg (109KB, 1920x969px) Image search: [Google]
Ki8FCZB.jpg
109KB, 1920x969px
So question about tech job demand and indias taking them

Is it really true or is it more the fact that we have little supply here in America? Like all the programmers and tech people are going for jobs other than the ones indians fill. Or maybe it is a lack of smarter people?
>>
it's a mix of both.

india is slightly bigger than 1/3 the US's square mileage but has 3 times as many people. even if they had sewage systems and toilets everywhere (and they don't), it would be overflowing with shit non-stop. i can only imagine what kind of hell hole india is.

so yeah, indians are desperately scrambling to get the fuck out of there, and tech jobs in general are a good ticket.

but it doesn't help that a lot of americans are getting degrees in journalism and women's studies and then looking around like deer in the headlights when they find out nobody is hiring for those degrees.
>>
>>57597387
Statisically, Chinese and Indians have been making bad quality code, and it has been a frustration for experienced coders in management when a company tries to outsource. But I believe they also hold the value that maybe there's so much demand for different fields that they are desperately in need of homegrown techs.

Wasn't the STEM program meant to resolve this issue?
>>
>>57597417
the idea that graduates from STEM programs in the US are unequivocally writing *perfect* code is a fallacy. get that idea out of your head and you start dealing with a genuine trade-off of how much you're willing to cut corners on cost to get code out the door.

most companies want to optimize for lines of code, and honestly a lot of projects don't *need* brilliant minds; they just need more brains connected to fingers.

this is the real tragedy; that if americans weren't majoring in bullshit fields so much, and if STEM graduates were willing to take less gilded paychecks (or would get out of their dumb heads this idea of being the next steve jobs or bill gates or mark zuckerburg), then the US could produce all the programmers american companies need.
>>
>>57597462
There's a premium for writing logical code, however. So I'm willing to have people earn more for a job a lot of human beings want to avoid. We as a species can think logically, but what makes us human is that we cannot, either. Programming and outright software management is not an easy job. Let's go ahead and say that right now. At the same time, technology is becoming so much more important that the demand is outrunning the supply.

You're right, college degrees are ruining this country with a lot of useless cutter, but what happens if you get rid of them? Will people still go for the more valuable degrees? I think not because otherwise they'd be going to specialized tech schools.
>>
There is a lot of demand. There's also a big supply of American programmers. The trouble is that the demand and the supply don't match up.

Most of the American programmers are average-but-not-great. They're better, and demand significantly more money than, the people you can get from India and China. They're worse than, and command much less money than, the real superstars.

The problem is that businesses don't really need much of this average product. They need either warm bodies that can pump out rough but working stuff cheaply (like >>57597462 mentioned), or they want the very best they can get.

So it's like the rest of the labor market. There's no middle. And US universities are pumping out a lot of middle-of-the-road graduates.
>>
>>57597964
But the cheap made stuff ends up costing them more in the long run, and then suddenly they're rewriting or reevaluating code that takes forever to update or fix. I've talked with plenty of industry workers that detail this problem most commonly. And they absolutely hate third world coders.
>>
>>57597995
So? That's their decision to make. We all do that, you've never bought a cheap jacket or some such thing, knowing that it won't last as well as something more expensive and better made? But you don't really care because it's cheaper and is sufficient for your needs?

Plenty of businesses will accept a higher ongoing cost over time to save some money now, or to gain some other benefit like flexibility. Maybe you don't know if this thing you're building will still be what you want in a few years time, so why build it to last two decades?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.