[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does directory level have any impact on read/write speeds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 2195887_4_full.jpg (81KB, 575x395px) Image search: [Google]
2195887_4_full.jpg
81KB, 575x395px
basically that.
i need to stream numerous audio samples from disc and i would like to know if having the samples at "root" level is going to make it faster.
is it going to perform better at "C:\files.wav" compared to "C:\folder\folder\files.wav"
>>
Yupp, even mapping a harddrive to A:\ will make it faster since there's less letters to look through before finding the right one.
>>
>>57593602
really? source?
>>
>>57593566
You need reiserfs
>>
>>57593566

Kernel fag here.

No.
>>
>>57593566
No, that's not how this works.
Any effect positive or negative is placebo, and or within margin of error.
>>
>>57593566
it depends. every directory is a directory block on disk, i.e. an on-disk list of the directory's contents that you have to search through to find the next part of the path. so abstractly you perform more directory block loads and searches on longer paths

however, directory blocks are buffered, i.e. if you already have a block in memory it won't need to go to disk to fetch it again. so if you're walking the directory structure in an organized fashion (all the files in directory A, then all the files in directory B...) the buffering largely amortizes any directory load cost

furthermore, the cost of each search is proportional to the number of entries in the directory, so if you just put all your files in one directory you'd be paying a much larger search cost in that one directory

you'd have to benchmark it to actually find out (and to be honest this is totally stupid and you won't be able to find out anything without some serious microbenchmarking), but i'd actually guess that the deeper directory structure is faster because of the cheaper search cost
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.