[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/EMBEDDED/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: CHIP TALK.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
CHIP TALK.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Embedded systems.

Not invited: Raspberry Pi, and other SBC's

Invited: Everyone else

BGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZuJJFMe8MY
>>
What should I learn to be able to get job security in embedded? I currently already have an embedded software job, but I'm using old tech there (all assembly for a fairly ancient CPU) and I want to know what I should know if/when I decide to move on.
>>
File: nixieClock.jpg (216KB, 1396x849px) Image search: [Google]
nixieClock.jpg
216KB, 1396x849px
>>57593326

I have to ask what is inherently wrong with RPi as an embedded system? I haven't got into them yet because I have been too into Arduino and designing my own circuit, but they seem like they could be useful for such applications.
>>
>>57594108
My guess would be it's simply too main stream for the hipsters of /g/
>>
File: 20151230_232521_3.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151230_232521_3.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>57594137

Oh well I mean that's fine, but at least add the caveat that the reason for doing so is for "my autism is greater than thou."
>>
>>57594137
from what i've seen pretty much this. Granted in all the classes i've taken we used an msp430g2553 launch pad so thats the coziest for me, I see no issues with the RPi
>>
>>57594108

I enjoy working with my RPi. It's great for internet connected projects. I have mine set up as an IPcam, with motion detection. It sends me a text if the motion sensor is tripped, and I can check the feed from my phone.
I also have temperature sensors set up indoors and outdoors. During the winter, if it's warmer outdoors than indoors, the pi switches on some window fans to circulate the air. Conversely, during the summer the fans turn on if it's warmer indoors than outdoors.

I've learned a ton about basic programming and internet connectivity from this project, and I'm glad I did it.
>>
>>57593326
Ordered two nodeMCUs from Ali.
Did I do good?
>>
>>57594137
>>57594108

It's really not bad for a soft real time system, but for a hard real time system, it's terrible. The fastest response time you can get on one is like 75 microseconds, and that's assuming there's nothing that will cause the kernel to block time sensitive processes. Also, they are quite pricey for what they can do relative to MCUs.

If you want a Linux SBC to handle hard real time, get a Beaglebone Black, they have PRUs which are basically MCUs built into the SoC and accessible from the OS.
>>
>>57594329
Yeah, had no problems with mine. I also order the cheapest stuff usually, like 1.50€ Nanos, 1€ Digisparks, 2.50€ Nodemcu.

I dont wanna pay 20€ for some homemade wifi color led that I use just sometimes.
>>
File: 20161029_205121_LLS.jpg (1MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20161029_205121_LLS.jpg
1MB, 2322x4128px
>>57594419

I get that, but I don't think any of us here are NASA employees working on flight systems or anything like that. I get it that actual embedded systems have faster response and are better when you need that bleeding edge, but for what most of us are doing it really doesn't matter one way or another.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.