[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Password managers for tech illiterate family members.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1password.jpg (44KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1password.jpg
44KB, 256x256px
What's /g/'s opinion on using this for retarded family members? I don't have much use for a pw manager but I was thinking of getting my parents and sister to start using 1Password, they reuse really unsafe passwords on multiple sites.

The family plan pricing doesn't seem unreasonable and it looks like I could manage everything for them remotely. Basically, I want them to start using a pw manager, it's not the best solution but I know they won't bother making unique safe pw for all their logins. 1Password seem pretty idiot proof and has a nice UI. I want something that will be the least amount of work for me to setup and manage on their behalf.

Thoughts?
>>
Common Sense 2016 comes with a nice password manager called Memory
>>
>>57592288
Seems better than using insecure passwords.
>>
>>57592950

The only way to remember secure passwords is using some kind of mnemonic. For normies, "memory" means "[firstname]1234" or "passw0rd".
>>
>>57592288
>pricing
Why pay for something that you can get for free? Just tell them to write down their passwords.
>>
>>57592950
So you can remember passwords for about 50-100 web services with perfectly individual and unique passwords (without having any parts in common)? Sure thing.
>>
>>57592288

My passwords are secure as fuck and super easy to remember.

Take the name of the thing the password is for. For example, 'facebook,' or 'google' or whatever. Take the first four letters and reverse them, e.g. 'ecaf.' Think of a sentence for which this would be an acronym, for example 'everyone creates accounts furtively.' If it contains uncommon words, all the better.

Next take some 4-digit number that only you know, but that you can remember easily, e.g. your card PIN number. Type that at the end while holding shift so that it becomes punctuation, e.g. '0123' becomes ')!@#' (I use DVORAK.)

The finished password for facebook would be 'everyone creates accounts furtively )!@#' which is pretty much unbreakable, unguessable, and pretty easy to remember (use the same number for the end of all your passwords.) If you write it down, nobody will know what it is. Even if they do, they won't know the number at the end.
>>
>>57593050
Write down passwords? Do you live in the stone age? Maybe you want to have access to your passwords anywhere (not just at home) or maybe you want features like password generation or autotype...
>>
>>57593013
>Using "password"
>Not using "Passphrase"

Just take your favorite lines from your favorite books. Easy to remember, higher entropy, added punctuation makes dictionary cracking impossible.
>>
>>57592288
Even though I personally am not a fan of cloud based password managers, however LastPass seems to be the best option for normies. Quite idiot proof desu. Usable in any browser and advanced features available with browser addons. As pricing doesn't seem to be an issue, why the fuck not.
>>
>>57593095
Keep it on your phone then.
>autotype
Cannot be trusted.
>>
>>57593297
>Cannot be trusted.
Why not?
>>
Keypass works well for my parents. syncing cross platform doesn't seem like a problem to them though because they don't bother to change things that work
>>
>>57593013
This. Again, I wouldn't be using this for myself but for a group of people that will always choose shitty passwords. This seems better than the alternative.

>>57593050
I want them to have strong passwords that sync to their services.

>>57593088
This is the system I use but I don't think my parents will, sorry.

>>57593095
Password generation and autofill are one of the reasons I'm considering 1Password.

>>57593127
Thanks, I'm not generally a fan either but in this use case I agree, it might be the best solution.

>>57593297
Why can't autofill be trusted? I would be using 1Password for people who use Macs/iPhones.

>>57593710
Thanks, I'll take a look. Are there any advantages/disadvantages between Keypass and 1Password. The ~$60/year price doesn't really matter.
>>
Been on lastpass for a week. Seems fine, and now no cost for pleb tier

Solid app and extensions... Just don't fuck up and skip setting up recovery options.
>>
>>57593710
>>57593859
keypass is more secure because of your methods of handling it. 1pass has you to use their service so there's a higher probability of being attacked.
So 1pass might be more convenient.

The software names might be confusing to some because of FOSS people aren't familiar with software with same capabilities but in different names.
>>
>>57594086
Enjoy your LogMeIn with no lube.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.