[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Might be moving to the US soon. Question for you freeburgers:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: lionheart.jpg (66KB, 737x960px) Image search: [Google]
lionheart.jpg
66KB, 737x960px
Might be moving to the US soon. Question for you freeburgers: Will I have to start using a proxy just to pirate music and software or is that just a meme?
>>
>>57588342
Fuck off Pablo.
>>
>>57588342
you'll be fine, but only if you install solus
>>
>>57588349
Don't worry, i'm white.
>>
>>57588342

Proxy no, VPN yes. Not that the FBI will bust your door down, but because Comcast will throttle your traffic for anything that's fun. Also expect fake man-in-the-middle DNS servers that make google.com not actually Google but a Comcast version of Google that tracks your searches.
>>
>>57588570
Can they do anything with that info tho? I mean, if they can see it and can't do anything about it it's no big deal imo.
>>
>>57588570
>Man in the middle fake DNS
What the fuck. Really? Even if I set my own DNS servers? Fucking Comcast.
Please tell me more anon.
>>
>>57588570

yea that doesn't sound legal do you have a source
>>
>>57589176
If you set your own you are ok.

>>57589228
It literally happens all the time, its why google started their own dns servers
>US
>Consumer protection
Pick one, faggot.
>>
>>57588570
GEE MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST NOT USE COMCAST YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
File: comcast.jpg (95KB, 599x430px) Image search: [Google]
comcast.jpg
95KB, 599x430px
>>57589283
There's nothing else.
>>
>>57588376
Fuck off, we're a brown country now. Trump is merely a setback.
>>
>>57588781

They're just gathering info to advertise to you. You searched for haemorrhoid creme once and suddenly you start getting these preparation-H ads in the mail... It's rather harmless, but it can get sinister fast if that profile about you ends up in the wrong hands. ISP's are very open to selling their user's data to make a quick buck.

Another annoying part is where they sniff your packets to figure out if you're watching Netflix or torrenting something so they can selectively make your connection as shitty as possible when using those services as opposed to their own Netflix spinoffs. You've probably heard about "net neutrality" - this is the opposite of that.

>>57589176

Nah, if you set your own you're fine. It's actually encouraged, even if you're not in the US. If you've ever encountered one of those "you're low on badwidth!" pages instead of the real website when visiting a URL or getting your router's login when the WAN connection is down, that's the same principle. It's their DNS servers, so they basically have the power to do these shenanigans for free. And that includes a fake Google frontpage cause why not.

I like to use OpenNIC DNS servers sometimes, since apart from the regular internet you can also visit non-ICANN toplevel domains like "www.123.pirate" or "www.abc.gopher", "www.qwerty.chan" etc.

>>57589283

I'm not even in the US... But yes, as >>57589327 said, it's a monopoly like the cable companies.
>>
>>57589605

Also to tie it into my first post, using a VPN is a good remedy for the situation. It's a bit slower, but it does make it effectively like you're in Sweden using a Swedish ISP or wherever you choose to tunnel your traffic through. You'd be paying for both internet and VPN but hey, at least it's more secure.
>>
>>57589327
This is something I don't understand about US internet. How the fuck there's nothing else? How is that even possible? I live in Eastern Europe and there's like 10+ different ISPs in my city alone. Cable internet from 5 different companies, internet from the power company, radio internet, mobile internet, phone lines, TV lines, antennas - the competition is huge, nobody pulls any shady shit, there's no bandwidth caps.

How can you have just one provider? That's insane.
>>
>>57589720
I'm a bit confused, isn't a VPN a similar thing to a proxy?
>>
Non meme answer: No.

You might get an email complaining about copyright shit, but as long you pay the bills they dont really give a shit.
>>
>>57589749
In all of America the goverment decides who gets to use the communication lines to provide a service, for example in my shithole country there's only 3 companies allowed to do so, and the last commie-shit goverment handicapped whatever company wasn't doing them favors.

I believe in Europe anyone can just hook up and do whatever they want. Tho don't quote me on that.
>>
>>57589751

Yes, but a proxy usually just routes HTTP, often without encryption. A VPN routes all of your traffic, with heavy encryption. VPNs can also be used to simulate a local network too. For example i've set up my own VPN on my router so that i can use any public coffeeshop Wifi as if i'm on my local network without anyone snooping.

>>57589749

Capitalism - companies like Comcast buy out the competition and are also rich enough to bribe the government to look the other way. It's all legal too, they just need to place their shill senators and lobbyists in convenient positions. As a fellow eastern european, i can say that our capitalism hasn't matured enough for that to happen yet. The infrastructure is too new, so the internet is just offered as the technology allows it to be, not the way greedy behemoth ISPs make it out to be. Westerners are used to shitty DSL speeds so they rarely even notice.
>>
>>57589790
They found Harold Holt
>>
>>57590332
Capitalism has nothing to do with the goverment controlling all the communication lines and giving them to whoever they like the most.
>>
>>57588356
>solus shills never ends
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.