[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hag/ - Hackintosh General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

Come on boys, tell me about your special snowflake >workstations an how well do they run.
In the meantime, everyone else can ask me everything about installing macOS on your 15 years old Atom Eee PCs with half a gig of RAM.
>>
>>57582522
Poorfags trying so hard to fit.
>>
>>57582534
what do you even live for
>>
I have Mac OS X 10.8.5 on an old HP convertible minitower. I have Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan inside VMs. I have Mac OS X 10.3 in Qemu, Mac OS 9.2 in Qemu, 9.0.4 in Sheepshaver and 8 in BasiliskII on my phone. I also have 7.2 in minivmac.
>>
>use a shit OS on shit hardware
I'm fine, thanks.
>>
>>57582522
>inb4 not 10.12.1
Works perfectly on my aging X58+Xeon poorfag setup. I just set the multipliers a bit higher every year.
>>
>>57582522
Can macOS be reliably installed on a T460S?
>>
>>57583591
Don't you have a gay dungeon by any chance?
>>
>>57582522
When the FUCK is NVIDIA going to support Pascal on Hackintosh?
>>
T420 fag here. It works ok i guess.
>>
>>57584704
T420 with hackintosh is the comfiest machine
you can buy with money desu
>>
rcently built a Skylake hackintosh

MSI eco H100m
i5 6500
8GB RAM
2x250GB SSD + 1TB HDD + 2TB Ext HDD
8GB RAM (didn't fall for the 16GB meme)
GTX 1060 6GB

I run macOS 90% of the time and play vidja games the other 10%. Everything works in macOS except the GPU, which doesn't have macOS drivers yet, hopefully in a few months.

Was about $800, I originally built it for gaming since I already had a MBP, but I realized I wanted to program on it and program on windows is bullocks, so I decided to try installing macOS on it just to see if my parts were compatible and they were. So satisfied right now.
>>
why even use osx
>>
>>57585011
Can you link the guide on changing that logo to a custom image?
>>
>>57585022
Because it's the best desktop OS. That's it.

>>57585028
1. turn off SIP
2. navigate to /Applications/Utilities/
3. right-click on System Information.app, "show package contents"
4. navigate to ../Contents/Resources/..
and there you will find an image called SystemLogo.tiff

from there, just do whatever to get a 256x256 tiff image if you're on non-retina and 512x512 if you're on retina
>>
>>57585083
what does it do that makes it the best?
>>
File: 1344544092176.png (321KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1344544092176.png
321KB, 1280x800px
>>57585117
Like windows, it actually works most of the time. But it's also UNIX at its core, which means developing on it is a cinch. Best of windows and Linux without the downsides of each: has loadsa great software, works very well without issues, is actually supported, isn't fragmented as all fuck, great keyboard-shortcut support, great scripting support, and it looks beautiful. Oh yeah, and it has little things like this that really makes me wonder what the fuck the other OSes are doing and why it's taking them so long to catch up.
>>
>>57585180
these all seem like they probably would be true, but only on apple hardware
hackintosh isn't really a just werks thing, same as linux

>looks beautiful
maybe if you have an actual high resolution display too
>>
>>57585083
Thanks anon
>>
>>57585270
>but only on apple hardware
Nope, everything works. I was surprised too. Everything (except my GPU since Nvidia hasn't dropped Pascal support for macOS yet) works. Everything.

macOS is the most aesthetic OS, regardless of wether or not you have a high-res display, I guess this is my opinion. You seem to be disagreeing just to disagree when its obvious you've never used macOS or a hackintosh.

>>57585313
niiice
>>
>>57585270
Also just to be clear, I have a Macbook Pro, so I know what macOS is supposed to feel like. Believe me when I tell you that everything works. It's crazy but its true.
>>
>>57585317
I've only ever used macOS on a 5K iMac, MacBook Air, and 15" rMBP. How easy is the setup for hackintosh? I might build a new desktop soon and it'd be kinda cool to dual boot like I do on my current MacBook.

Do iMessage and Facetime work with Hackintosh? What about Time Machine? I ask because it'd be way easier to just transfer my time machine volume from my current Mac to a new computer but I imagine Apple wouldn't like that.
>>
File: OS_X_10.11_Beta_Beach_Ball.jpg (5KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
OS_X_10.11_Beta_Beach_Ball.jpg
5KB, 220x220px
>best desktop os
>>
File: qSb22R6.png (73KB, 698x466px) Image search: [Google]
qSb22R6.png
73KB, 698x466px
I debated a long time whether or not to build a hackintosh or get a Mac Pro. I ended up deciding to get the old tower MP and updated it to almost-max configuration.

To me the hassle of having to screen every update wasn't worth it in the long run
>>
>>57585317
I have used hackintosh and didn't paticularly enjoy it at the time
fonts felt blurry at 1080p and had lots of errors with it. maybe was just my hardware at the time

i'll probably install it again when im not lazy and have a 4k monitor
>>
File: .png (40KB, 321x393px) Image search: [Google]
.png
40KB, 321x393px
comfy
>>
>>57584848
Is there a way to create that installer USB without needing to use UniBeast on a Mac? If so I would try it then.
>>
>>57585270
>hackintosh isn't really a just werks thing
It requires some time to learn your way around installation and setup, but once you're done, it's as reliable as the real deal. Took me about 2 evenings to get it right; it's still as fast and stable as a year ago, after all the El Cap updates and Sierra upgrade.
>>
>>57585011
>but I realized I wanted to program on it and program on windows is bullocks, so I decided to try installing macOS

Why not Linux?
>>
>>57585348
>How easy is the setup for hackintosh?
It varies a lot, but for me it was simple.

1. Download macOS
2. Install macOS to USB, install clover bootloader (customize: install for UEFI booting only, install clover in the ESP, drivers64ufi: osxaptiofix2drv64)
3. install clover configurator, mount the efi partition you just made
3. copy fakesmc.kext and your ethernet kext to EFI/Clover/something/kext/other/

let me just stop here and say find a guide since I can't remember paths off the top of my head nor do I feel like double-checking

but I would say just make sure you set up your Mobo settings first, turning off shit like windows fast boot etc.
>>
>>57585407
In short, you download a VM, a VM image with installed macOS, download a Sierra image from the App Store inside the VM, and use Unibeast.
It's the cleanest and easiest way to do it if you don't have friends with Macs.
>>
>>57585381
Yeah that's strange, probably hardware or some install error or some shit. I hope you didn't use a distro, this is purely macOS so it actually works identically to my laptop, but faster obviously.

>>57585421
That was my back-up choice had my hackintosh idea not-panned out. But the reason is this: macOS can do anything linux can do and more (i can install all the GNU coreutils, compile things made for linux, and get access to industry-grade software), so why linux?
>>
>>57585348
http://www.macbreaker.com/2015/10/install-osx-el-capitan-unibeast-hackintosh.html

Sierra installation is very similar.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-macos-sierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Also you can check out other people's experiences by searching for your hardware configuration on reddit and here https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/sierra-desktop-support.186/
>>
>>57582522
GTX1070 drivers when?
They are the only reason why I haven't install os x yet.
>>
>>57585446
Okay that sounds alright, I think I'll do that. Whats the best place to get a macOS iso?
>>
El Capitan here, because I installed 10.12.1 and animations be stuttering quite a bit. Fuck that.
>>
>>57585348
Time Machine works, using it right now. Haven't tried iMessae and Facetime since I have nobody to call. They both open up at least
>>
Does anyone know how to translate shortcuts from Windows to this thing?

I'm always confused about ctrl/alt/windows keys.
>>
>>57585497
I got mine from rutracker. Probably any large general purpose tracker has those. I don't really know what's the go-to one for the english-speaking people.
>>
>>57585538
settings - keyboard - modifier keys :)
>>
>>57585538
Command does shit (like control in windws)
Control is for terminal bindings mostly, or otherwise adds auxillary functionality (emacs bindings etc.)
option is for hidden functionalty (hold it and watch as menu items change for example)
>>
went with the setup outlined here:
http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

works exactly as described. the compatible dell wifi card is pretty cheap on ebay so you don't have to keep some bullshit dongle hanging off the side
>>
>>57585662
>that thread
Why are you embarrasing yourself?
>>
>>57585497
Ayy boi I did some ftp digging and found a Snow Leopard iso, I don't know this website, so not sure if safe or not. I'm sure it's fine, but here ya go:
http://xero-filez.us/files/MacOS/System/
>>
>>57586394
Not surprising that a faggot like you couldn't come up with something better than that
>>
>>57584848
Does everything work?
>>
>tfw intel wifi adapter
>>
>>57585533
Good to know, I don't own an iPhone but I do use imessage with a few friends
>>
>tfw future generations will start calling our systems "oh ess ecks" instead of "mac os ten"
>tfw I have no feelings
>>
>>
>>57586842
stop thy existance
>>
>>57586853
owo what's this?
>>
>>57586907
Somewhere in the world.

>>57586936
What do you mean?
>>
>>57586853
Why don't you just use Linux at this point?
>>
File: dorito_2.gif (921KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
dorito_2.gif
921KB, 800x800px
Is this Hackintosh shit really worth it or are all of you just trolling?

I don't want to waste several days of my life trying to figure this shit out only to discover that macOS actually runs like garbage when I could have just installed Linux.
>>
>>57586561
yeah, everything works except for some of the trackpad gestures (three finger navigation works although) and the smart card reader (haven't tested it).
>>
>>57587305
I tried OS X in a virtual machine and it was a fucking nightmare to use. You literally can't even maximize a window, there is only a fullscreen option or a shitty "maximize to fit to content" option which just makes the window bigger but doesn't maximize it. You also can't drag a window to an edge of your monitor and tile it. These are the most basic features of a desktop environment. Install Linux.
>>
>>57587411
No, he's right.

Not implementing Aerosnap like everybody that isn't a dumb baby is just a gay decision. It's just false pride of not wanting to admit a good feature that came from Microsoft.

I find it even more offensive that literally every third party solution costs money
>>
>>57587411
That does the "fit to content" thing I described.
>>
how hard is to install mac os on a t430?
>>
anyone on T420 hack got the mic mute button or sd reader working?
last two missing bits of functionality for me
>>
If I build one computer, make it a Hac and then build another one with similar hardware but a weaker processor than I just pull out the macOS drive and stick into the new Hac?
>>
File: 1452447927406.png (256KB, 407x557px) Image search: [Google]
1452447927406.png
256KB, 407x557px
>>57582522
>>
>>57587138
Linux is shit. I need to edit videos and stuff.
>>
>>57588033
>Linux is shit.

>coming from someone using a toddlerOS
>>
>>57588033
Kdenlive or a Windows VM with all of your proprietary programs
>>
>>57588052
I was a loonix/windows user.

>>57588072
Wut, I can have everything for free on macOS.
>>
File: image 1.jpg (32KB, 557x612px) Image search: [Google]
image 1.jpg
32KB, 557x612px
>>57588072
>Kdenlive
>>
>>57585421
Developing UI apps on Linux sucks. Your two big options are GTK+, which is just horrible all around, and Qt which is fine from a technical standpoint but less than a pleasure to develop with (particularly since it's a C++ toolkit which means bars it from having wrappers for several languages).

Cocoa on the other hand is great to work with as a developer, works with all three C's (C, C++, Obj-C) in addition to Swift and anything that can interface with C easily (Ruby, Python, etc), and lends itself to decent-at-minimum UIs so even one-man projects have good UI/UX. I wish so much that someone would bring GNUStep up to date with modern macOS so I could write desktop cross platform Cocoa apps. It's so damned good.
>>
>>57589116
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57588033
>Linux is shit. I need to edit videos and stuff.

So don't use Linux. Wasn't that easy?

It doesn't matter what you use, because no one but you benefits. No one. OS choice doesn't matter outside your own needs. You don't support or deny anything by using an operating system.
>>
My issue is that the only game I played back when I used linux has tearing issues here. There's nothing much I can do to fix it other than contact the developer which released this back when everyone had Mavericks.
>>
>>57587399
Maximizing windows only makes sense on tiny screens with shit resolutions, with video editors and IDEs being a notable exception
>>
>>57589191
This so much. You use the OS you need for your tasks. If you happen to find something that you -need- that you can't have anywhere else, you could take suggestions, but you're better off using what you know works best instead of jumping around with workarounds.
>>
>>57589222
No, I want my web browser to use my entire screen. I want my text editor to use my entire screen. I want most of my programs to use my entire screen, because it often just makes more fucking sense. Why would you waste useful screen space like that? What a shitty excuse.
>>
>>57589289
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>57589289
I guess I was just agreeing with >>57589191 but then again, >>57586853 didn't even ask for a suggestion in the first place.
>>
>>57589264
I never understood this. Most websites, when maximized, are ~50% blank space. Same for text editors. To me, having all this blank space is a waste and it makes more sense to have other stuff using that otherwise void screen space. Fuck, even desktop picture showing through is better than blank space
>>
File: 1454424524580.png (148KB, 1919x954px) Image search: [Google]
1454424524580.png
148KB, 1919x954px
>>57589422
>Most websites, when maximized, are ~50% blank space.
YouTube isn't. Pic related isn't. Many more aren't. And even if that's true for a lot of sites, that doesn't mean that the rest of my screen shouldn't be used. What's the point of just having whitespace next to my browser?
>Same for text editors.
Definetely not true. If you have a file tree and two columns for editing files, your entire screen is already filled.

If you disagree then that's okay but not having this feature in a desktop environment is just fucking retarded.
>>
>>57589422
Indeed. If you have a 21:9 monitor this becomes even more noticeable, to the point you never actually want to have the browser on full screen. If you can fit the content, try to put more shit in there.

I do pic related sometimes because it's cool.

>>57589525
>Youtube isn't
Quite the opposite, the content gets centered and doesn't expand itself. In fact one of the things people often bitch about when pointing at anything google website is the amount of wasted space. Even at 16:10 it's disgusting.

That site you showed is already wasting quite a bit of space as well.
>>
File: 1478195593888.png (1MB, 1919x899px) Image search: [Google]
1478195593888.png
1MB, 1919x899px
>>57589882
>Quite the opposite, the content gets centered and doesn't expand itself.
Doesn't look like that to me. It uses most of my screen space here. And even when you're watching a video, YouTube will use most of your screen.
>That site you showed is already wasting quite a bit of space as well.
Some whitespace is good, but my point was that OS X resizes the window so that the layout of the website changes, which means it would look different than it does like this if it was maximized.

Also, what about tabs? I always have at least 20 tabs open. That's annoying as fuck when my browser isn't maximized. And aside from browsers, there are many other programs that can use your entire screen.
>>
Gamestop for black friday is gonna have the alienware steam machine for $225 for the i3 and the i7 will be ... 300 something. Would the i7 be a good idea to hackintosh?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.