[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do if Android OS is obsolete?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hello. I have a problem. My android phone is how completely obsolete. I mean that CyanogenMod even dropped 4.4.4 updates even for it. There are updates on XDA, including Nougat, but they are unofficial and the devs are not going to make them official. My paranoia says it is likely that there are malware in them. There were cases when backdoored and rootkited roms were distributed via xda. I cannot build the firmware from sources because my PC is >10 yr old trash with only 2 Gib RAM and 200 Gib HDD. Do, what should I do? Don't advice "throw away your junk and buy iPhone+macbook" unless you are going to gift me money for it.
>>
>>57575871
Android 4.4.4 here. I manage
>>
>>57575871
Well i only see three options.

>keep using it and deal with that outdated CM version
>use an unofficial rom
>get a new phone with extensive community and CM support, if you're short on money maybe /csg/ knows some cheap chinkphone with rom support
>>
>>57576149
My phone wasn't cheap, in fact it is one of flagship phones. Thank you anyway.
>>
>>57576312
Buy a Chinese phone if you're poor.

Oukitel k4000 pro is going cheap now and runs Android 6.0

Zuk z2 is going to get updated to Android nougat soon.
>>
>>57575871
I have a Galaxy S5. I'll probably stay on CM12.1/ 5. 1 for the lifetime of this phone - no problems here. I'm able to update everything to latest versions still. I can upgrade to CM13 and ever since a recent exploit was exposed it's been trying to get me to, but I wont. Ever since the but my storage is all on an external SD and that'd be fucked if I updated.
>>
Moto e is a very cheap and functional phone. Worth looking into, main drawback is no flash.
>>
I'm glad with my phone except for obsolete OS. I just need up-to-date firmware from trusworthy source. CM and OmniROM are. XDA and file hostings aren't.
>>
btw
>Moto
is shit because of tivoization
chineese phones are shit because every firm in China is devoted to serve government and controlled by the party.
The only normal phones were nexuses, but they are not as fine as they were
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.