[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fedora

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: fedora-800x339.jpg (25KB, 800x339px) Image search: [Google]
fedora-800x339.jpg
25KB, 800x339px
>lightweight
>just enough packages, not too much, not too little
>great community support, on par with Ubuntu and it's flavors
>Major updates atleast every 6 months, usually sooner
>devs are friendly, transparent, and innovative

Why don't you use the best dystro /g/?

>pig related
>>
Not rolling release, I'm not re-installing my OS once a year, and the built-in upgrade methods aren't perfect.

The repos without rpmfusion are quite small, and I feel rpmfusion doesn't have as good QA on packages. Even rpmfusion doesn't have as much packages compared to Arch or Gentoo.

Lots of stuff I don't want installed/enabled by default, and if I'm going to use a minimal netinstall, why aren't I just using Arch?

Packages are pretty up-to-date but not as much as Arch.

It's not a bad distro, it'd be my favorite behind Gentoo/Arch, it's just that Arch is a better binary distro for personal desktop use. I wouldn't use anything except Gentoo as my main desktop OS, or Arch for laptops.
>>
>Release 24 had majority of planed content cut off and deferred to Release 25
>Release 25 postponed twice already because bugs are still too blatant.
explain this
>>
>>57562667
Did they fix the font rendering or do I still have to add an insecure repository that has been hacked several times in the past and fuck around with infinality to get something not objectively awful?
>>
>>57562767
Question, why do you guys need rolling release? What requires your software to be so bleeding edge?
>>
>>57562835
Literally what? Font rendering is great and has been for quite a while
>>
>>57562776
>lots of programmers working together create a update that has some bugs
Who knew?
>>
I do, but it has a hot corner shortcut by default, but NOT programmable hot corners

thats annoying
>>
>>57562908
I get enjoyment from following various projects commit by commit. One of the reasons I like Gentoo is because it very easily allows you to build some packages from git/svn whenever you want through your package manager.

For example I can have my whole graphics stack installed from git through my package manager, that's libdrm, xorg-server, xf86-video-amdgpu, llvm, and most importantly mesa.

I have a newer AMD GPU. RADV is the open-source Vulkan driver in mesa, it's very new and still gets commits that change things significantly often. Same with the normal radeonsi OpenGL driver, commits very often that effect performance/compliance.

I enjoy following development news of many FOSS projects and want up-to-date versions of their software.
>>
>>57562835
This.

I can appreciate that they love free software, but honestly, I just want shit to work without using a third party repository.

While I respect where they're coming from, I'll go elsewhere.
>>
>>57562776
>because bugs are still too blatant
no you retard they postponed it because it caused some Macbooks to fail to boot. all discussion is done publically why don't you guys look this stuff up before spewing garbage https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/LDNERND3XMBREO3N444HJEMW4Z3SZ5UW/
>>
>>57562667
>Major updates atleast every 6 months
The biggest problem.
>>
>>57562835
https://fedoramagazine.org/font-improvements-fedora-24-workstation/
>>
Debian is better because it has APT.
>>
>>57562667

>not too many packages

Isn't more packages always better?
>>
As much as I love Fedora, it just can't run Dwarf Fortress very well. The Linux LNP hasn't been updated lately either.
>>
>>57562667
>>just enough packages, not too much, not too little
What does this fucking mean?

Are you an autist that thinks the amount of lines of code matters too?
>>
>>57563244
Not a ton of packages so its useless bloat
Not just a few so that you have to add everything manually
>>
>>57562908

I *don't* want bleeding, but prefer the convenience of rolling. Something like stable/rolling would be ideal.
>>
>>57563289
>>
>>57563212
Not always.
For example: software who is abandoned, software whose development techniques and philosophy is actively against the techniques and values of the distro, etc.
>>
>>57562667
Not enough packages.
Some packages that I would consider pretty standard were missing in fedora 23. I don't think you can have too many packages. Its not like they force you to install them. More support is always better
>>
>>57563305
Snaps solve this problem. Stable base system and for the few packages you care about keeping bleeding edge you can easily.
>>
>>57563429
You can always add your own. What ones did you consider standard?
>>
>>57563429
>More support is always better
More support is what is making systemd the next X.org
>>
They promise dates and then don't meet them.
Every.
Fucking.
Time.
>>
>>57562667
I'm insulting you with my mind
>>
File: 1478629030985.png (359KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478629030985.png
359KB, 500x500px
>>57562667

>fedora
>gnome
>lightweight
>>
>>57562959
Having some bugs is to be expected, sure. Eyeballing date by which they will all be smoothed out, like totally, we swear, and then postponing it last minute is still tolerable. On a volunteer project at least.
But doing it twice in a row is inexcusable amateurism.
>>
File: microsoft.jpg (149KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
microsoft.jpg
149KB, 960x720px
Using Fedora25beta currently with Mate. No real issues. Not a big fan of systemdork but I use it as a workstation not a server so I'm not interacting with the init system and daemons lot.
>>
>>57563161
>failing to boot
can't get more blatant than that
>>
>>57562767
What problems have you had with the upgrade methods?

dnf-plugin-system-upgrade worked fine for me.
>>
>>57563793
>worked fine for me
Are you a retard?
You particular case means nothing.
>>
>>57563793
dnf upgrades have honestly never failed. Compared to apt-dist updates which are like playing Russian roulette with your install.
>>
>>57563803
What is your particular case?
>>
>>57563810
I'm not him. Wait his answer instead of spouting "works for me" meme.
>>
>>57563840
I didn't think you were. Stop posting.
>>
To be completely honest.
I don't use Fedora because it's called Fedora.
>>
>>57563940
/thread

If it were called something else I would use it
>>
>>57563866
You first, shit for brains.
>>
>>57563091
>I get enjoyment from following various projects commit by commit.

Reminder that Arch/gentoo users are autistic.
>>
>>57562667

>Why don't you use the best dystro /g/?
because:
>>Major updates atleast every 6 months, usually sooner
Fuck that shit! I dont have time for everything changing every few months. I got work to do!

Hence:
CentOS
>stable
>really, really long support
>KDE4 instead of that buggy 5 crap
>yummy rpm goodness
>>
>>57562667
ok now make it so when I close the lid it doesn't stop videos

howabout any laptop options

oh wait this isn't ubuntu, or a real user linux desktop experience
>>
File: lid-options.png (84KB, 812x589px) Image search: [Google]
lid-options.png
84KB, 812x589px
>>57564791
how about those options?
>>
>>57564672
You don't have to update it. Also
>Major update every 6 months
This is a GOOD thing
>>
>>57565253
>You don't have to update it.
Yes, but running a system that hasnt seen any update for years isnt too good of an idea. You know, exploits and such…

>This is a GOOD thing
If the only thing that might break is your 1337 rice on your desktop, sure, but if you need a consistent system that is simply doing what is supposed to to, 24/7/365, then it is utter crap.
>>
>>57562667
openSUSE Tumbleweed is like Fedora but
>rolling release
>uses zypper, which is faster and has a better cli than dnf
>packman-essentials > rpm fusion
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.