[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why and when did you learn to code? people say that to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Why and when did you learn to code? people say that to learn programming you need to have a objetive, i just want to learn, but i don't know what i can do and why, motivate me.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57559963
>when did you learn to code?
First semester at university, doing the introduction to programming class.

>Why
To pass the class, obviously
>>
To get hot chicks
>this was actually true
Learned it in college outside my main subject so that I could help people set up online tests and questionnaires, laid three times because of that
>>
>>57559999
You didnt liked ?
>>
>>57560192
Well, I'm currently working on my PhD and I have 5 years experience as a software developer, so I think you'd be safe to assume that I did like lit.
>>
>>57559999
fucking checked
>>
Really noob here, if i learn programming on my computer, can i make apps?
>>
>>57559963
>The purpose of programming is to find a sequence of instructions that will automate performing a specific task or solving a given problem.
have you even read wikipedia? programming is actually made for lazy people.
>>
Learned when I was 10-11, on a simplistic version of BASIC that came on a pseudo-computer thing I got for my birthday (pic related). Didn't know what it (basic) was for or how it worked, until I eventually read the manual. Started messing with it, and was instantly hooked. Basically just did it for fun ever since.
>>
Started when I was 19; 22 now. I started coding because I wanted to track what my room mates were doing on my computer when I was at work -- being that it was the only computer in the house, I let them use it -- so I wrote a simple Python keylogger.

The projects come over time. My buddy wanted a site to display his artwork, so I learned HTML / CSS and Javascript, put on my React pants, and made him a pretty solid site. After I made some websites, I dove into some AI programming and taught myself C++.

Now a days, it is more of a job than a hobby. I sent my portfolio out to some companies in my area, and got hired on as a full-stack engineer working primarily with Javascript.

Just learn a language! Python is a good one to learn as a beginner. C variants or Java are good to learn for more in-depth software development; though, Python can get some shit done. Learn Javascript to build web apps and sites. Doesn't really matter what you learn since most concepts traverse multiple languages. Just learn to think logically.

Also, coming from a guy who started with OOP, functional programming seems to be the future. Haskell called it.
>>
>>57560482
What language do you want to learn?
What ecosystem do you want to code in?
ARM or x86?
>>
File: look_at_them_apples.jpg (281KB, 1679x797px) Image search: [Google]
look_at_them_apples.jpg
281KB, 1679x797px
>>57560482
Yes, eventually. You'll probably want to take an into to CS class first so you at least know a little. Check out CS50 on edx.org.
>>
Can someone give me an idea as to which language I should learn first and from where
>>
>>57559963
> people say that to learn programming you need to have a objetive, i just want to learn, but i don't know what i can do and why, motivate me

>>57562285
i'm not saying your question is useless, but you are completely ignoring OP's point
>>
>>57561910
CS50 is tough as shit if you don't know anything about programming, but if you stick with it, you'll come out having experienced programming in a few languages. I'm a cs major and this course is probably 2 or 3 separate courses worth of material at my shitty university.
>>
>>57559963
>Why and when did you learn to code?

I REALLY learned after I graduated from college and started working. I did it because at first I hated it, but then I started wanting to make vidya, so I started practicing and studying.

If you need motivation/direction, take a MOOC. One that's not free, so you'll have the incentive to not waste your money.

Take a MOOC
>>
>when
Originally in 10th grade with a Java class so that I could take an AP Computer Science class the next year
>when, for a real programming language
Early this year.
>why
I learnt C so I could use Unix. It's been a complete success.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.