[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of virtual machines?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: vbox_logo2_gradient.png (30KB, 140x180px) Image search: [Google]
vbox_logo2_gradient.png
30KB, 140x180px
What is the point of virtual machines?
>>
>>57555913
da fuq kinda question is this
>>
To show off your ricing in desktop threads
>>
>>57555913
To emulate lesser software

namely Winblows
>>
>>57555913
To allow you to try out different operating systems without having to actually install them?
>>
>>57555913
To save server costs
>>
to run linux without becoming a neet
>>
>>57546291
>>
>>57555974
only real answer, thanks bro!
>>
File: considerthis.jpg (20KB, 312x560px) Image search: [Google]
considerthis.jpg
20KB, 312x560px
>>57555913
What's the point of you existing, you little punk-ass little bitch?
>>
They're useful for sharing development environments around.

Also for playing Chinese cartoon poem games.
>>
>>57555913
For when you want the security and stability of Linux, but want or need something that runs on Windows.
I also use them when I get one of those Indian tech support scam calls. When they take over the desktop, I have Wireshark running on the main Linux machine, then I tell them what I'm doing they get pissed off or just hang up.
>>
>>57555913
The same as rooms in an apartment and apartments in a big building.
>>
>>57555949
/thread
>>
>>57555913
VMs are one way of sharing the resources of a computer. they are much like an operating system in this regard, which shares the computer among processes.

the difference is that a VM exports a much lower-level interface than an OS. it supports what looks like a machine, rather than what looks like a programming library (syscalls and userspace). this has advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage being that VMs are much better at isolating, and VMs are much better at legacy support. so they are very popular in industry, where you need absolute isolation of services that won't often be updated
>>
File: 1457716724525.jpg (61KB, 540x511px) Image search: [Google]
1457716724525.jpg
61KB, 540x511px
>>57556099
>>
File: New VMs.png (926KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
New VMs.png
926KB, 1920x1080px
>>57555913
They give me pleasure. Idk why. To upgrade is like to cum.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.