[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slackware Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: s_topright[1].png (4KB, 445x126px) Image search: [Google]
s_topright[1].png
4KB, 445x126px
Im familiar with the old Slackware versions and want to get rid of windows and get over to Linux.

What im wondering is how do you update a package in Slackware? For instance Firefox? Do you just go to Slackware ftp och look in the Firefox folder for a newer version in a tgz file?

It dont have repos like Debian.

Will we be stuck with old ass software and dont even know its time to update?

How does this shit work nowadays?
>>
you don't update slackware, you just repeat "everything you need is on the CD" and then claim it's stable because you can't install anything. It's a meme distro used by those pretending to be "linux oldfags".

how it works nowadays, is you install ubuntu, debian, mint, redhat, fedora, or any other proper distro that fixed these problems in 2003 that respects your time.
>>
>>57553365
>because you can't install anything

:^)

I call bullshit, but...

Pat claim to be super BSDish, but all BSD have a proper package manager. KISS my ass.
>>
File: 1473712320290.gif (3MB, 700x285px) Image search: [Google]
1473712320290.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>Im familiar with the old Slackware versions
>how do you update a package in Slackware?
>>
>>57553342
It now has a script that automates download and installation of packages from their ftp. It checks for new versions too. It's called slackpkg.
For everything else there's slackbuilds.org and their sbotools package manager.

None of those resolve dependencies, so you'll have to do that bit manually.

>>57553365
>i'm retarded hear my roar
>>
If you want updates, you use the -current repo, then use slackpkg. Shit hasn't changed recently, if you knew Slackware ten years ago, you know Slackware today.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.