[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly, what are the benefits of Archlinux/Gentoo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: deep contemplation.png (392KB, 451x619px) Image search: [Google]
deep contemplation.png
392KB, 451x619px
Besides becoming a meme master, what is it actually good for? Is it just an all rounder faster than OS's like Windows cause theres less interrupts on the CPU?
>>
>>57548923
Install Yellow Dog.
>>
>>57548923
AUR is pretty great
>>
Nobody on /g/ is ever going to admit it, but Ubuntu is the best GNU/Linux distribution. It just works and is the most supported distribution around.

I've been around the block, giving a bunch of different distros a whirl and Ubuntu is really the most headache-free one you can use.
>>
Nobody on /g/ is ever going to admit it, but Solus is the best GNU/Linux distribution. It just works and is the most supported distribution around.

I've been around the block, giving a bunch of different distros a whirl and Solus is really the most headache-free one you can use.
>>
File: happy racoon.png (276KB, 424x412px) Image search: [Google]
happy racoon.png
276KB, 424x412px
OP here can I get a serious answer
>>
The point is to learn more about the OS and, if necessary, to exercise more precise control over the OS than is possible with other operating systems.

You learn a ton by installing Gentoo.
>>
File: 1476275623456.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1476275623456.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>57548923
to be honest Arch forced me to learn things ubuntu wouldn't have. Arch gave me so much shit that I learnt how not to panic and get out of almost any situation Linux may throw me into.

I remember learning bash because I wanted to install Arch, then I learnt parted, fstab, initcpio, grub config and vi JUST to get started. Then I learnt about kernel hooks, systemd, xinitrc etc later on.

As a reward, the AUR was really comfy. In fact AUR beats any other 3rd party repository to this date and that's a simple truth.
>>
Devuan has more improvements speed-wise over both of them - no systemd.

Keeo in mind, you can get rid of systemd on other distros too. Sysd is only a concern on other PC though.

Other distros actually customize packages. Gentoo / Arch is vanilla except for a shitty logo in /usr/share/backgrounds

Ubuntu if you like those things. Devuan / Gentoo / Arch if you're a vanilla person.
>>
>>57549039
Older PCs*
>>
>install puppy
>>
>>57548992
Shadup kevin
>>
>>57549039
>Gentoo / Arch is vanilla except for a shitty logo in /usr/share/backgrounds
This must be from some package you installed. I don't have this directory on Arch.
>>
>>57549039
Arch is not vanilla. You get CRUX or Gentoo if you want a minimal vanilla distro
>>
>>57548992
>>57548966
Ubuntu has more software in the repos, solus performs better overall.

Anyone who's been distrohopping could tell you that.
>>
>>57548923
U can learn so much with gentoo/funtoo, afer some time u can use all distribution u never lost
>>
>>57548966
I humbly disagree. Try installing legacy radeon-nonfree under ubuntu. You're going to have a greeeat time.

Whereas on arch, due to the different package managing system and the AUR, you can easily do this.

Ubuntu is though, for modern hardware and new users, very good.

If you want "Ubuntu, but Arch", try manjaro. No fancy "app store", but it gets shit done.
>>
Its only good side is that you have a hard start with it, and you can also have an easy start by running an autoinstaller, and learning some stuff with that start. Thats it.

The managers are differents and repos, and most shit that you can get on other distros you wont be able to have the same thing.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.