[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into programming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1345927313714_6069278.png (43KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
1345927313714_6069278.png
43KB, 420x294px
So basically I grew up using computers all my life, starting with a Commodore 64 in kindergarten, I learned how to read on that thing - and then Dos, Win 98 etc. Without exaggeration most people see me as a kind of tech wizard, because I do have talent with gadgets.

But in reality I feel like a total fraud, because although I can work my magic and do/fix almost anything, the fact is, writing out a single line of Hello World is quite problematic for me. I mean, what kind of a tech person can't write code?! It's... I'm genuinely ashamed. I should do better.

Except, I did attend a few programming classes in college, and they've all ended in disaster. I don't know, I just don't have neither the logic, nor the talent for this kind of work. I'm almost 28 now, can I even learn a programming language at this point?
>>
>>57546341
Choose a language and google the rest.
>>
Tomorrow is looking for a book on the Internet Categories for the Working Mathematician. Fuck if you did not understand. Then you go on and study haskell.org standard library from cover to cover. Then bison, is a bitch, learn by heart language definition and standard libraries - The Haskell 2010 Report, bounced on to the teeth. When you write your first catamorphism, on the way to studying the theory of types and TaPL-level, downloads, and studying any haskellevskuyu library with world-class functors and morphisms, recommended category-extras or recursion-schemes. How do I convert a standard prelude to at least all the recursive scheme were expressed through comonad, you can go further - you'll get a fascinating world of the theory of categories. Catamorphism, paramorfizmy, zigomorfizmy, histomorfizmy, prepromorfizmy, anamorphism, apomorfizmy, futumorfizmy, postpromorfizmy, hilomorfizmy, kronomorfizmy, sinkronomorfizmy, ekzomorfizmy, metamorphism, dinamorfizmy algebra and coalgebra Calvin Elgota last. Success Hickey vyblyadkov / bydlokoderov simply type reyfaga or sisyarp / java-developers who work in Luxoft will not excite you, and after half a year you will receive these grants that any professor would tech at the mere mention of your publication list.
>>
If you didn't start at 8, it's too late.
>>
>>57546411
fuck it's 8:02 is it too late or can I start now?
>>
>>57546341

Your just like me

go to codeacademy and learn the whole python course. Just take it a lesson at a time. You'll get obsessed and overwhelmed but that's normal.

I wish I could teach you everything I learned but you gotta walk that path yourself.

Learn Python until: You know about Class and Def.

Then start reading up about OOP and what that means.

Try another OOP language like Java or C#

Stop with programming languages. Start to think about what you want to do with computers or what to help others with or what job you want.

Realize you're going to have to pick a language you're gonna wanna go with. The other languages will get easier.

Windows/GNU-Linux. This is just file & download management but being that IT guy you're gonna learn one. This isn't programming but its computers right?

You have to find out your own project. No one is going to give you one. Just find one and work on it little by little.

Learn what good code is and the principles.

Good luck
>>
>>57546372
Literally this. I went from inept retard jarhead who could barely function with a text editor to a reasonably useful java developer in about a year. Everything is online, 90% of it is free, and what isn't free is fuckin cheap. Just do it.
>>
Find a beginner book with exercises and make sure you do all of them. You will hit walls where you just go "how the fuck will I ever be able to make sense of this?" But keep on and everything will make sense with time. Just remember when you are struggling to learn something and you feel like you simply won't be able to move forward: someone dumber than you has managed to figure it out.
>>
>>57546372
>>57546579
this

just work on one of those programming challenge sites and make sure you understand your solution before you hit the submit button.
>>
>>57546341
yeah you still can

I started in high school programming classes and I'm 25 now, I finished a bachelors in computer science but I'm average so I can relate to feeling like a fraud while I was surrounded by a bunch of smart people who "got it"

my uncle is in his 50s and we talked the other day about how he just picked up a language 6 years ago because he couldnt find anyone to do it for him and now he's taking contract work to do stufff with it

everyone has a different way of learning but if you need guidance try https://www.udacity.com/ or look for others

look into arduino programming if you're interested in seeing physical results and doing stuff with sensors
>>
>>57546341
What sorts of programming languages/concepts did your college courses cover? How far did you get before you got really stuck? Is your problem more thinking about problems algorithmically, remembering the keywords, or something else entirely?
>>
>>57546405
fuck off /pr/
>>
>>57546341
The idea that you have to start young has no scientific basis.
It's a matter of your capacity for self-change; that is, you need to develop the correct lifestyle habits as well as the correct habits of thought.
Realize this, there's nothing you can't become.
Augustine converted at age 31. Bruckner composed his first real symphony at the age of 40.

I've been playing the guitar for my entire life, and two years ago I started learning the violin, since then I've played in multiple orchestras with exactly zero formal training.
I've also been programming embedded control systems for a few years now.

My problem in technology was that I've always been a deep thinker, not a problem-solver or a puzzle master. Because of that I procrastinated a lot.
Doing work that was logic-oriented was painful because it made me feel like I would lose the thinking part of me.
So my goal then was to bring these two parts of myself together into one monolithic thing, and with a little time and suffering I succeeded, and I'm different now, but different for the better.
I think the secret for decisiveness is mental unity; you procrastinate because you have two desires conflicting with each other. One desire is more intellectual and concerns what you want to do or become, and the other desire is more animalistic and concerns reward-based stimuli such as browsing 4chan or listening to music.

So my advice is this: sit down, open your text editor of choice, and decide what to make. Think big, not little, write an image viewer or something.
After you've decided, just think about what your first step is, do not let your mind wander, do not expect to understand your program before you write it, do not get discouraged, just pretend you're a fucking hard core master programmer trying to write this thing.
If you're in that kind of groove, then your google searches will start coming to you.
But don't spend too much time reading either, keep the goal fresh in your mind.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.