[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using a backup image

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 513mt0Vk-IL[1].jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
513mt0Vk-IL[1].jpg
49KB, 500x500px
In the event of PC failure I'd like to have a backup image to restore to.

My question is, if I save the image to an external SSD like pic related (which is what I own). And later on my current in use SSD dies, I would just re install windows on a new drive and use the image restore utility restoring from the backup files on the portable SSD?

Or would I use the portable SSD I saved the image to as a boot device?

I've never saved backup image before, but it makes sense to me since I'm extremely autismo about my settings and whatnot.
>>
The backup is saved as a different file type. You can't directly boot from it but you can install windows on a different SSD and use the backup to get everything back.
>>
>>57544987
Well I'd be making a backup image. Which to my understanding is essentially cloning the drive
>>
>>57544987
Not OP but why would you need to reinstall windows? I thought the OS was included in the backup image
>>
I'm curious whether it might be viable to run RAID 1 where one drive is connected via a regular SATA socket and the other through a USB 3.0 SATA adapter.
>>
>>57544935
Use dd. Get some live linux usb, boot from there. Unmount your current SSD, use dd to make an image of it and put it on your portable SSD.

If you need to restore, boot to your live linux usb once again, use dd to flash the backup image to your SSD you want to be using, and then you can treat it like normal after that.
>>
>>57545755
>linux

Stopped reading there
>>
>>57545993
Are you trolling or simply retarded?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.