[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: rust-logo.png (24KB, 209x208px) Image search: [Google]
rust-logo.png
24KB, 209x208px
If it was so easy to come up with a low-level language that does true memory safety with speed close to C, why didn't someone do it first?

I don't care if SJWs are trying to take this over, it seems like a fucking brilliant language.
>>
ADA
>>
>>57537814
>it seems like a fucking brilliant language.
It's just C++ in a fancy wrapper. It's basically D 2.0.
>>
>>57537814
>with speed close to C
bound checking for array index
>>
>>57537847
you can disable that though right?
>>
>>57537825
So, C++++++?
>>
>>57537814
>If it was so easy to come up with a low-level language that does true memory safety with speed close to C, why didn't someone do it first?
Pretty sure they did, I read it somewhere in the Rust notes that they got the arena idea from a C dialect.
>I don't care if SJWs are trying to take this over, it seems like a fucking brilliant language.
It's decent, I guess but lets see how it looks in 3 years. I'd also appreciate an alternative implementation.
>>57537824
Not true memory safe.
>>57537825
The difference is, D fucked up so often you could call the current version of D an incompatible D 4.0.
>>
>>57537883
and you lose the safety.

some trivial stuff like graphs, linked list or sorting algorithms (without trading performance) are not easily implementable with the rustacean way (that is, without spamming unsafe wherever you want).

that's my main critique to rust, it's not well suited for algorithms and data structures. it's not a minor thing.
>>
>>57537824
No more safety than C.

>>57538209
Not entirely. The paradigm in rust is to use iterators instead of ever iterating by indexing, thus you wouldn't really lose anything if you were to be idiomatic. It is a loss, however.

>>57538066
You're confusing memory safety and memory allocation scheme, which are completely different topics.
I'd also like to see a non-llvm implementation, but that probably won't happen. Not that I think there's anything wrong with the current implementation, but llvm is probably going to be a bottleneck.

>>57538066
>>57537814
Uniqueness types (i.e. rust borrow-checking) isn't a new concept. The Clean programming language had that. A superset of that, linear types, has existed in many languages, including ATS and proof languages.

Rust's win is that it wraps it in an easy-to-use, familiar format and includes many additional core programming language features that people have come to rely on, without going for an unfamiliar ML/lisp-like syntax.
>>
>memory safety
Is gone when you have to use Rc.
>speed
Lots of benchmarks show Rust being slower than C. On top of that, it consumes much more RAM.
>>
i thought that was golang. isnt golang a better alternative to C/C++ than Rust. i mean google replaced their server side programming with golang from C++.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.