[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Card Smoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 7990Tilt.jpg (983KB, 2500x2225px) Image search: [Google]
7990Tilt.jpg
983KB, 2500x2225px
Got a 7990 plug it into my PC and it starts smoking then my PSU kicked.

Has anybody ever had this experience?

I didn't think AMD was this bad
>>
>I got a GPU that my PSU can't handle!
>Fuck X!
>Totally not my fault for being a stupid shit or anything!
>>
enjoy buying second hand shit without any proof of working
>>
850w actually
>>57535408
>>
>>57535453

Wattage =/= sign of quality.
>>
What's your PSU rated at, how old is it, and what's the rest of the setup like.

If you have a system drawing lots of power and trying to just barely eek it out then of course you'll get fucked. For example, every ram stick increases load a little, any over clocking takes a lot of power, any non standard or extra fans also increase drain.

If your PSU is old and you just increase the load, even if it said 1000 it could have degraded a fair bit and any dual card from amd or nvidia could trigger the same response.

The 7990 has a pretty large PSU load, but isn't tlknown for any issues when given proper wattage so chances are you either missed something or are just a huge shill.
>>
>>57535408

Tell your PC that smoking causes cancer and to cut it out!
>>
>>57535408
>I didn't think AMD was this bad

>7990

>7
>9
>9
>0

>$CURRENT_YEAR

You fucking deserved it. I hope your mobo was shot too.
>>
File: 1726450i03g9jmahjj0mjj.png (63KB, 421x248px) Image search: [Google]
1726450i03g9jmahjj0mjj.png
63KB, 421x248px
>>57535408
If your PSU kicked then it is your shity PSU's fault m8.
>>
AYYMD HOUSEFIRES
>>
>>57535428
with AMDrones, nothing is ever the fault of AMD

they always blame something else
>>
>>57535408
buying a dual gpu card in a system that clearly didnt had the juice for it

blames amd for his stupidity

good lord
>>
Check the stickers on your card
If the card overheats those are usually the first one to burn and cause smoke. The card itself may still be ok if you manage to fix it.
>>
>1 DVI port
what
>>
>>57537670
DP Mini was the future, Anon.
>>
>>57535428
>>57535487
>>57536713
The OP mentioned the 7990 smoked and the PSU kicked, that likely means the problem is not solely the PSU.
>>
>>57538867
Oh fair enough, I had misread it would seem.

However a failing PSU can also be responsible for delivering too much electric power and burning the card.

It should also be noted if you plugged in the power wrong it can also cause shorting or weird power transfer.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.