[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me build a NAS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ds380-34.jpg (46KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
ds380-34.jpg
46KB, 560x560px
So I want to build an 8 bay NAS box. I see a lot of recommendations for the Asrock C2550D4I, but at around $300 it seems pretty expensive. Is there some reason why I shouldn't get a $60 AMD mATX board with 8 SATA ports and a FM2+ processor for around $100 instead?
>>
do your own r&d faggot.
>>
Storage would be handled by 8x 4tb drives run in raid 6 or zf2, since I'd probably run freeNAS. I already have the drives, but the rest of the hardware is in the air.
>>
>>57533241
>s there some reason why I shouldn't get a $60 AMD mATX board with 8 SATA ports and a FM2+ processor for around $100 instead?
No, unless you're a retarded faggot who can't BSD
>>
>>57533268
Maybe you'd prefer another watch thread.
>>
>>57533241

Remember that the motherboard and processor aren't all you need. You're also going to need RAM (an unholy shitload of it, if you want FreeNAS and 8 bays), a case, a PSU (modular is absolutely *essential* if you're going mATX), etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if your total bill of materials approached $300 anyway, assuming you aren't reusing any parts. Mine did, last time I spec'd out a minimalist DIY NAS build.
>>
>>57533241
As I recall, the secondary SATA controller on the ASRock board isn't supported in linux. I have a Supermicro A1SAi-2750F for this purpose which I'm happy with, but I guess you'd need an additional SATA board, or a port multiplier or whatever.
>>
>>57534672
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm fine spending 3-500 for the rest of the hardware. I was assuming 16gb RAM minimum but more likely 32gb. I just want to make sure I'm not making a fundamental fuck up by going with an AMD build instead of an Intel one. If there is a small Intel board that doesn't break the bank I'm fine going that way too. I'm just not aware of one in the same price point as a similarly specced AMD board.
>>
>>57533241
C2550 is overkill for a plain NAS. A cheaper, used atom will do fine, unless you're going for ECC.
>>Why shouldn't I get AMD
Because then you'd have to stuff a bunch of cooling into your NAS case whereas an atom is fine sitting open-air with the included heatsink.
>>
>>57535636
The cheapest Intel mATX motherboard with 8 SATA ports in stock at Newegg is over $200. You can get an AMD board for $60 plus rebates. Maybe I'm being an idiot by not considering an expansion card, but I figured it's easier to just get a motherboard that already has all the ports I want.
>>
>>57535720
8 ports is uncommon on tiny boards in part due to space reasons.
The Atom would end up using less power and require less additional cooling.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.