[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 29

File: cartoon-economists.png (125KB, 774x585px) Image search: [Google]
cartoon-economists.png
125KB, 774x585px
Previously: >>57519288

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>>/wg/6743571 - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers
>>
File: 1470485988119.jpg (165KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470485988119.jpg
165KB, 500x500px
First for Freedom.
>>
reposting my questions from last thread
>>57533112
>>
>>57532182
I've checked where the /sbin/init is pointing to and it says its linked to busybox. what do I do?
>>
Three hours till I pass out, and wondering whether to rice, fap, watch anime, or shitpost
Its hard sometimes.
>>
>>57533259
if it's hard then your choice is pretty obvious
>>
>>57533165
In general I would still say no.

If you only play a few games and aren't the type to always need to play the latest greatest stuff then you might be able to just look it up first, and see how the games run on similar hardware in Linux for others. Come up with a gameplan first, basically.

But otherwise I would still say the status of Linux in the game development world is still not at a point where gamers should just be switching over without having to think about it and expect to be happy.

We don't need everyone to be using Linux though for Linux gaming to take off. All we need is for you guys to want to be able to game on Linux, let game devs know, support it. Even if you're still using Windows it'll help.
>>
>>57533165
You could just dualboot and use Windows as gaming console and GNU/Linux for serious computing. Games that work in WINE actually have better performance than on native Windows, but don't expect any AAA+ games to work here. You can play in a VM when you pass the GPU to the VM, but that's a bit difficult to set up. I wouldn't recommend such things for beginners.

To be honest, it takes a while to feel save with the new OS, but you can save a lot time by learning and using the terminal as much as you can. That said, if you choose a distro like Ubuntu, you barely need to touch the terminal ever. Those distros are designed to 'just work'.

>Is it worth it?
I never looked back.

Oh, to your ricing question: You *basically* don't need any programming skills or deeper knowlege about the system to rice, 99% of all programs here are configured by simble .txt config files. You change settings to your likings - ready is your 1337 tiling WM. There are also a lot of places on the web where people are shareing their configs that you can grab when you're lazy. There are also some distros which already come prericed like bunsenlabs or manjaro spins with i3, bswpm, etc.
>>
File: file.png (224KB, 1368x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
224KB, 1368x768px
pretty comfy right now lads
>>
I am not new to Linux and no way new to "computers", but I lack much proper knowledge about Unix and related stuff. The hardest task for me was once to find the uncommented line of my Wacom tablet's driver due to which my Xs on Arch were completely failing to start.
Also, everything applies both for Linux, Mac and Win.

So, what I want to know:
1) Using the bash and doing most of the stuff in consoles.
2) I have never compiled from a source code and do not understand how code transforms into machine commands. How does it work and how do I start?
3) I am familiar with networking, but not quite. Tannenbaum is must-read, but who would tell me how le maimai deepweb mesh networks work?

Optional, but very desired:
4) Introduction to Encryption methods.

Wikipedia would not suffice. So?
>>
/brit/
>>
>>57533542
What machine is that?
>>
>>57533634
nigga look up the Qualcomm MSM number, it's a Snapdragon 820
I'm running it on my OnePlus 3
>>
>>57533634
Running it on my OnePlus 3 using CM13 and the Linux Deploy app from the play store

check the Qualcomm msm no. in the screenfetch, it's a Snapdragon 820
>>
>>57533645
stop copying my posts and fuck off back to /brit/
>>
>>57533544
1) OP -> copypasta collection -> shell pasta
2) there's basically no need for knowledge to compile a program.
when you have a source code archive, you extract it, run "make" and "make install", that's it
some packages can be configured with ./configure, if so, it's explained in a README or INSTALL file, ./configure --help also explaines what can be configured
when you run "make", the compiler will convert the source code to binary and create a file you can execute "make install" moves the new file to your other programs
3) tor -> clearnet works like this:
you -> proxy -> proxy -> proxy -> exit -> website
tor -> .onion works like this:
you -> proxy -> proxy -> proxy -> website
4) learning gpg is a good start
>>
>>57533661
oh fuck off you yank
>>
>>57533380
A lot of the games I play are on Linux but there's quite a few that still aren't and they're good ones. It seems that the AAA games seem to never bother to support Linux at all, the people who seem to do it are the smaller developers who actually care to listen to their community.

Surely it's not the hardest thing to make your game compatible with Linux right? I'm sure it's not as easy as a few lines of code, but for a game developer company it probably wouldn't be too big of a hit.
>>57533430
I dualbooted Xubuntu on my rMBP but ended up just never booting into it because everything that I wanted to do on my laptop could be done pretty elegantly and fluently through native macOS anyway, so I never really had a reason to boot into it. It was fun messing around with it and getting it to work though, I'm not a complete retard when it comes to the terminal, know most of the basic shit but I'm far from 'fluent.'

I watched a couple videos on ricing and like you said it was mostly messing around with config files. However, the video I was watching (because he was copying his setup on his main machine from a vanilla VM) he would just know a random package to install to get xyz thing compatible or work properly. I feel like if something wasn't compatible I'd spend 1000 years trying to search for a package to fix it or add functionality etc.

For most of my computing needs a nice riced Linux distro would be perfect, I really like the custom HTML/CSS 'start pages' people make on /wg/.

But one of the main things I do with my PC is jump in a Discord chat with a bunch of mates and play some games. I don't want everyone to be playing a game and me be like, "can't play that because it's not supported on Linux."

Also switching from Microsoft Office to Libre seems like a step backwards and might make typing up a simple Uni assignment that much more difficult. Switching my music from iTunes to a nice Linux music player, trying to get my iPhone to sync to Linux, etc
>>
File: 1460266128926.png (13KB, 620x488px) Image search: [Google]
1460266128926.png
13KB, 620x488px
>>57533696
>can't wake up
>>
>>57533674
> 1)
Thanks
> 2)
Yes, I do understand this, but I want to go further.
> 3)
That is obvious as well. I mean, all the implementations of non-traditional clearnet, there gotta be studies on that besides official sites and mans. You would not suggest reading iptables man and windows networking manual for clearnet, would you?
> 4)
What do you mean by that? I don't get it. I know there are plenty of encryption software, I mean I want to know how encryption protocol works, not how a specific program does.
>>
>>57533696
>Surely it's not the hardest thing to make your game compatible with Linux right?
It's actually a ton of work considering most AAA games are written with DirectX which Linux can't run. So they'd have to rewrite the entire rendering system to OpenGL or use some kind of abstraction layer

However that might change in the near future due to Vulkan. Even windows users are asking for devs to support Vulkan over DX12 because it'll run on older versions of Windows and is basically equivalent.
In fact DX12 and Vulkan are so similar that devs have said they can't imagine companies supporting one and not the other.

So if games start being developed with Vulkan then that would make porting games to Linux a breeze
>>
So I made this webm with ffmpeg, but it's too large (7MB) how can I lower the quality so it fits into 4MB?
>>
>>57533775
3D isn't the only issue, you also have input/sound/networking to worry about
though there's nice cross-platform solutions for those such as SDL
>>
>>57533749
Fair point. I just haven't seen any urgency as to why the convenient route is THAT bad and I should feel the urge to switch to freedom.

The companies stay afloat by selling your data and letting companies mine through the data for various patterns that suite their agendas. Unless you're doing something super fucked/obscure then you're just another point of data in a sea of millions of others.

Unless I'm haven't heard about some fucked shit that I should be aware of?
>>57533775
I really hope so. If Nvidia is as shady as everyone makes them out to be then I doubt they'll just let everyone start shifting towards semi-universal Linux compatability, without a fight at least
>>
>>57533801
lower the bitrate/increase the CRF

also, the limit for webm here in 3M, only jpg/gif/png is 4M (because reasons)
it's also limited to 2000x2000 and 2 minutes
>>
>>57533821
Thanks
>>
File: tumblr_lg5dvwwPi21qbqt8go1_500.gif (463KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lg5dvwwPi21qbqt8go1_500.gif
463KB, 500x363px
>>57533128
>mfw had to use AMPL for school
>teacher gives me .bat files to run the models
> use wine cmd /c 'run.bat'
> parse logs with (g)awk (seriously, this is awesome)
> set .dat files to use with gnuplot
> orchestrate everything with zsh
> it works
Fucking awesome. Wanted to use an excuse to use the Turtle library on haskell, but this stuff worked at the first try.
>>
>>57533814
spying on you isnt alright because they probably dont care about you personally, and'll only have their algorithms look at it.
>>
>>57533814
>I just haven't seen any urgency as to why the convenient route is THAT bad
Use Linux for a year or so and then try to go back to Windows. Then you'll understand. Literally everything about Windows is utter shit by comparison except for the fact that it has more software developed for it.
and that doesn't even bring into consideration the privacy concerns of win10

>Unless I'm haven't heard about some fucked shit that I should be aware of?
It's up to you.

But I think I remember an incident in the past where AOL data was leaked and some people basically created a browsable database of all the sites people were visiting. You could follow someones activity and see which sites the went to and when.

and those were just your basic logs. Imagine what kind of shit you could do with the kind of data that win10 (or google) harvests.
If you're comfortable trusting their security, and supporting those actions by not telling them you don't like it, then that's your choice.
>>
File: 1475567955266.jpg (314KB, 1795x709px) Image search: [Google]
1475567955266.jpg
314KB, 1795x709px
>>57533854
>>
pointless question - is shutting down from the menu the same process as shutting down from terminal?
if so, why do i need to provide my password in terminal but not in the menu?
>>
>>57533749
I've always held the opinion that we could certainly have both.
>>
>>57533801
to find what bitrate you multiply the filesize you want (3mb in the case of the chans) by 8192. Then you divide by how many seconds long the webm is. so for a 20 seconds clip it's 3*8192/20=1228. I usually round down a little bit, so I'd target 1200 in that case. I went full autisim with my webms and use this

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -an -c:v libvpx -ss XX:XX:XX.XXX -t XX:XX:XX.XXX -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -metadata title="example" -lag-in-frames 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -quality best -qcomp .5  -slices 8 -b:v XXXXk -bufsize XXXX -crf 10 -f webm -pass 1 NULL &&
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -an -c:v libvpx -ss 00:06:04.500 -t 00:00:07.000 -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -metadata title="example" -lag-in-frames 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -quality best -qcomp .5 -slices 8 -b:v XXXXk -bufsize XXXX -crf 10 -pass 2 output.webm

where -b:v is the calculation you made earlier and bufsize is anywhere from 1 to .5 times that calculation. so in this case 1200 to 600.
>>
>>57533898
I'm pretty sure you need to be root in the terminal because its using a program in /sbin, which is in the superusers path, but not in normal users.
IDK about startmenu shutdown options.
>>
>>57533898
Depends on how your system is set up. Password-less shutdown usually goes through PAM and as a result desktop enviros are usually given full permission to shutdown and restart the machine without a pass. In most distros, terminals are as well but idk why yours isn't.
>>
>>57533928
Thanks for your autism, I've already searched for a solution to calculate this for a shell script.
>>
>>57533889
I'm sure some good services/improvements to algorithms have come from the mining of everyone's data but fair point. Everyone should be entitled to their own privacy and have 100% transparency of where their data is going/what it's being used for if they opt into letting it get harvested.
>>57533892
Yeah, I feel like as soon as I get hooked on Linux I'll never turn back. It's just getting over the hump that is learning how different it is running your computer in manual as opposed to automatic. Need to learn how to edit configs, shell scripts, master the terminal, figure out how to troubleshoot when shit goes wrong, etc, etc. It's like a whole new methodology, decent amount of work

I guess whenever you give an ISP money to have your house connected to the internet you're giving them all your data around your browsing history. Unless there's measures to hide this embedded within a Linux OS?
>>
>>57533987
>I guess whenever you give an ISP money to have your house connected to the internet you're giving them all your data around your browsing history. Unless there's measures to hide this embedded within a Linux OS?

If you want to hide your net history a VPN would be the way to go.
>>
File: 1441446043101.jpg (501KB, 1121x1123px) Image search: [Google]
1441446043101.jpg
501KB, 1121x1123px
>>57533987
It's not really even a question of whether it's harmful or not.

The question is why do they need this now? Windows never spied on you like this before and they got along just fine.
Why would you be ok with having your comp have tons of backdoors and streaming data of your daily activity round the clock to some company all of a sudden just because they're become aware of what a cash cow big data is.

and all this while free OS's exist and are actually made to serve you properly instead of cutting corners, throwing bandaids over problems, and milking users for everything they're worth?
http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
>>
>>57534044
>The question is why do they need this now? Windows never spied on you like this before and they got along just fine

They can sell data to advertisers and the NSA.
>>
does anyone know what the fuck an xmi file is? there's no real history or information on it anywhere i can find. it looks like it's some kind of legacy midi format. i've never seen it before and i'm trying to get compatibility with a modern midi server daemon
>>
>>57534044
Windows started to phone home since XP, it's just that they don't hide it anymore since 10.
>>
>>57534075
Did they? on what sort of levels? I thought it was only stuff like crash reports, update status etc. I didn't think full scale telemetry was a thing even in win 7. Well, before win got certain patches anyway.

With what MS have gotten away with surrounding win 10 it goes to show people on the whole don't give a fuck about their OS spying on them. Some personal users go to linux like me, some buisness users crack the shits when a forced update ruins their work. but how many can really afford to switch infrastructure? MS has everyone by the balls.
>>
>>57534126
>people on the whole don't give a fuck about their OS spying on them.

Of course they don't. Even basic security and privacy measures are too much for them. Why do you think people always make shitty passwords? Because they're lazy and a crap password is more convenient.
>>
>>57534044
that "linux is free and doesn't spy" thing is just marketing, it hasn't much better politics than microsoft. actually, there are over 20,000 linux of code made by microsoft developers in the kernel, so the foundation doesnt sue ms for usin gpl'd stuff, instead of writing free drivers, they use proprietary ucode, which make backdoors possible in the same way like on windows...
>>
>>57534075
>Windows started to phone home since XP, it's just that they don't hide it anymore since 10.
It's been logging url/email/viewed pictures since 98, there's hidden encrypted files with that shit on.
>>
>>57534198
Found this yesterday: >>57522930

Yeah well, but it's obviously A LOT better than using an OS where everything is proprietary, right? It's a very succsessful entry level, at least. Then again, if people want full freedom, there's always GNU Linux-libre.
>>
>>57534198
>there are over 20,000 linux of code made by microsoft developers in the kernel,

The only reason they did that was so Linux would work properly on HyperV. Microsoft is getting to the point where they don't care if people run Linux as long as they run it on Microsoft services like Azure or on a Windows Server running Linux VMs
>>
>>57534126
>>57534157
That's what disturbs me the most.

I mean, Microsoft is a company and I can't blame them for doing whatever they can that works and makes them money.

But people not caring about their privacy not only scares me because the general public decides what's acceptable, but also because I literally cannot comprehend it.
Try as I might I simply cannot in my wildest dreams put myself in a position where I don't care about someone looking over my shoulder 24/7.
>>
>>57534240
The annoying thing is as well is that having the slightest concern over your own privacy gets you labeled a "tinfoil hatter" (or some variant) or that you shouldn't have anything to fear if you're not a criminal.

Think about how many times you've heard the phrase "I have nothing to hide"
>>
>>57534240
It's not really surprising given how much people will willingly surrender to Facebook and other communications platforms. As far as Ms tells you about win10 telemetry it's just "usage stats", which seems fairly innocuous if you aren't a tinfoilfag like myself and others in the minority.

I may have posted this before, but I stopped using 10 when it downloaded 8 gig of patches on a metered connection, forced the install. I reverted the patches, tried to block updates. it had wiped all mys settings even after reverting anyway. Then the next night it did the same thing again I was fucking livid.

other shit like that actually makes me want to throw up. my grandmother died and no one posted anything about it or did anything like send text messages relating to it, only immediate family in the hospital knew. within the hour my sisters/mums facebook was nothing but ads for funeral services and such. the fucking mic is on and listening to conversations I'm sure of it.
>>
>>57534301
Facebook is actually a huge problem, even when you don't have an account, because of all the like and comment shit all over the web. Every time you see such a button, facebook knows what site you are on, keeps logs, generates ads and the NSA just needs to collect the collections.
>>
We are in the matrix
>>
guys what happened, actual informative content and discussion on /fglt/? did I miss something?
>>
>>57534388
Install uMatrix and filter the fuckers.
>>
I stopped using KDE's discover and installed synaptic. Can I now remove discover without causing issue?
>>
>>57534421

Unless it's part of a package group you should be fine.
>>
>>57534388
I want to go back to the Berenstein universe
>>
>>57534388

I want web 1.0 back. Fuck this phone optimized ugly bloated shit. Load one website, contact 100000000000000 servers to load another 1000000000000000 js libs fonts and other content that tries to spy on me or asks me to "comment" on every little shit.

I want a web with useful content, not a normalfag toilet. (reeee) :^)
>>
>>57534487
there you go http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
File: 1378331359765.jpg (7KB, 218x265px) Image search: [Google]
1378331359765.jpg
7KB, 218x265px
>>57534512
>Good design is as little design as possible."
> - some German motherfucker
Every tiem
>>
Thread soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQwin3Vv0k
>>
Good thread.
>>
godd damn.....
i want an excuse to murder as many people as i can before i run out of ammo
>>
>>57535227
>>>/pol/
>>
>>57535270
i don't want to waste ammo on center-leftists when there are far leftists left
>>
File: 1479088771548.jpg (45KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1479088771548.jpg
45KB, 500x334px
Hey /fglt/, I could really use some help here.

I'm running a very recent release of Linux Mint. I'm interested in setting up my own hotkeys for tab switching, copying and pasting, switching windows, and what not. However, when I set my hotkeys in the control panel, they often break when I try and run them. So I need to fix them.

I figure there is some source code I can look at for how these keyboard shortcuts are implemented so that I can debug these issues.

To find the source code, I started top and opened the control panel. Then I looked for the process and got the pID. But I'm not sure this is the right way to going about finding the source code, looking into the pid.

Can anyone help me? I need to find the source code for implementing keyboard shortcuts so that I can fix this bug and submit an upstream patch.
>>
>>57535424
>Mint
stopped reading right there
there's literally NO reason to use it when theres ubuntu
>>
So if I have a Facebook account which I haven't posted on for 3 years, only like things every now and again to show friends I'm not dead and only really use it for a few group chats or scrolling aimlessly when I'm bored; how fucked am I privacy wise? What sort of data is being collected?

Also have Instagram which I barely ever post on, once every 5 months if that, just like hot girls and hope for the best, same question?

And what about a google account that I just use for YouTube subscriptions and watch random shit, same question again?

How fucked am I, and how can I go about lessening my ties to the botnet without being labelled a complete weirdo/tinfoil if I was to delete my Facebook/Instagram
>>
I'm making a script that fires 4 instances of mpv with random vids from my porn folder.

How can I auto tile them to the corners?
>>
>>57535434
Not what I asked for.

Are there any big reasons to use Ubuntu over Mint? Kernel optimizations, etc? Or is it really just small differences?
>>
>>57535477
don't care mate
yes. mint is literally being maintained by a retard who lets isos on the main page get infected with malicious software and your "distro" blocks updates for "stability" reasons when they contain major security patches.
keep using it though.
>>
>>57535503
>isos got malware once
>i don't agree with him declining a patch
In other words, no difference between the two distributions. Thanks, man! I'll keep using it.
>>
>>57535424
bump
>>
>>57535530
keep using it. "people" like you don't deserve something better
>>
>>57535424
bump
>>
>>57533128
What's a good way to learn guile for guix? I had a semi-functional setup for a bit, but I found documentation and examples for writing OS configs lacking.
>>
>>57535469
xdotool or wmctrl, but a much smarter way would be to tile the movies in one mpv window (lavfi can do that)
>>
>>57535562
No, people like me don't have the time to distro-hop for no good reason. I don't have the time to compile Arch or Gentoo but I need Linux. So if Ubuntu holds no major advantages, I will not use it.

In the spirit of /fglt/ could you help me navigate around the source code? It would save me a lot of time if you could point me to where I could find desktop code on my system, and how to find what code is running from each pid. Maybe that's not the right question, but either way I think you get what I mean.
>>
>>57535646
Thanks for the input. I'll look into lavfi.
>>
>>57535679
>arch
>compile
don't namedrop distros to make yourself look cooler if you don't even what what the h*ck your talking about.
>source code
which source code and what language is it in?
>So if Ubuntu holds no major advantages, I will not use it.
wouldn't you consider not having broken security an advantage? you could just use windows if you don't care about that
>>
>copyright 2007 richard stallman

what now freedomfags even your messiah has forsaken ye
>>
File: void_bg.png (6KB, 143x143px) Image search: [Google]
void_bg.png
6KB, 143x143px
Want a new distro for my laptop.

Void or Alpine?

Void: larger community, great init-system and package-management system.
Alpine: no GNU, better security, more lightweight(?)
>>
>>57536217
The question you should be asking is what
spectrum of autism you are on.
>>
>>57536333
prolly hfa just like myself
i can spot this kind of thing easily :0
>>
>>57536333
I'm 100% autism free.

But arch has too many dependancies by default and gentoo will kill my laptop battery. Aiso, fuck Stallman.
>>
>>57536362
Oh, and Pottering too.
>>
>>57536362
are we talking about base-devel or packman itself?
>>
Why does my wireless internet regulate itself, as in when I use some site its 4-5% and when I watch video or something its 90~%
>>
>>57536405
Both. but latter more. I just removed >140Mb of comepeletely unneeded kde libs from the system, that were automatically installed with some package to which they are optional.
>>
Guys. I hate the systemd, but sysinit is the best wireless manager I've used, What to do?
>>
>>57536217
fuck off
>>
>>57536454
Why the hate, anon?
>>
>>57536442
you don't hate systemd, you just want to be cool
>>
>>57536465
Well, no. I hate it because I've got a bootloop because of a very silly reason and was unable to properly debug it, unlike openRC and since then don't like or rely on it.
>>
~ $ ps -AZ|grep thunar
unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t 2512 tty2 00:00:05 thunar

Thunar sometimes crashes when I "cut and paste" a file from one directory to another

does this have something to do with my window manager launching the process from (the context of?) the TTY?
>>
How does creating a bootable USB for linux ISOs work?
Does installing the MBR to make it bootable?
>>
>>57536505
you don't create linux isos, you update it with your package manager
>>
>>57536499
nevermind, I just tried from a terminal (and noted it was launched as pts/7

I have no idea what this crash means

~ $ thunar

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
*** Error in `thunar': double free or corruption (out): 0x00007f01d8021480 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x6fe8b)[0x7f01f471ee8b]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x75706)[0x7f01f4724706]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x75efe)[0x7f01f4724efe]
thunar[0x4354f8]
thunar[0x4369fb]
thunar[0x436aa3]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x15a)[0x7f01f4cae4ea]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4a890)[0x7f01f4cae890]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_loop_run+0xc2)[0x7f01f4caebb2]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0(gtk_main+0xb7)[0x7f01f6b96bc7]
thunar[0x41f749]
/lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0)[0x7f01f46cf680]
thunar[0x41f7d9]
>>
File: 1477560169194.png (322KB, 1017x885px) Image search: [Google]
1477560169194.png
322KB, 1017x885px
>>57536217
>>
>>57536505
It already comes preinstalled.
>>
>>57536418
please respond
>>
>>57536547
I don't like void/alpine cancer also, but you're plain stupid. Guess why this happens? People google the void and post it here. That's why it's always the same and why your meme is shit.
>>
>>57536525
>>57536555
I think I need to rephrase my question.
What makes a linux ISO that have been burned to USB bootable?
Boot flag?MBR?
I'm trying to create a USB with puppy x-tar/Hiren's/slax
>>
>>57536571
we already told him
>>57536581
mbr, yeah, then you need grub, a kernel and a user system
>>
>>57536595
Thanks.
>>
>>57536547
Sorry, my first time posting about it. Got logo from the official web page.

And I do honestly need help with the decision.
>>
>>57536617
>honestly
your post is autism
either you're just retarded and follow memes or you know exactly what you're talking about and therefore don't need help
>>
>>57536464

Not him, but you're an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

>more lightweight
How to spot a gullible idiot: the word.
>>
>>57536419

That's literally not how pacman works you lying retard.
>>
>>57536581
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media
>>
>>57536362
how? do you not have a wire than connects to your laptop and gives it an electric charge? you don't need to compile software 24/7 you know
>>
File: alpine banner.png (45KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
alpine banner.png
45KB, 720x340px
>>57536630
You are not a nice person. If I didn't need help, I wouldn't ask, would I?

I need help deciding between the two.

So, once again, Void or Alpine and why?
>>
So I have a few distros that are burned to DVDs.
I want to recreate the ISO, to send it and to be re-burned to DVD/USB.
Do I just use
dd bs=4M if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/ISOs/xxx.iso
>>
>>57536646
Elaborate please. It installed optional dependancies that I didn't ask for. How is that good?
>>
>>57536651
Thanks.
I'm asking because, puppy/slax/Hiren's LiveUSB doesn't seem like the rest of distros.
Which got me wondering why?
All the ISO for many distro simply dd the iso to a USB flash drive, and you're good to go.
While in
>puppy
Need to install MBR first, then copy the rest of the distro from CD.
>slax
Set boot flag to the drive then copy the rest from the zip file.
>Hiren's
Installing Grub4DOS, then copying files to the root of flash drive.

It makes me think that the ISO for these distros are not the same like the rest.
>>
>>57536673
alpine
no gnu
easy enough
>>
>>57536733
What's your problem with GNU?
>>
the fglt site mostly contains scripting guides, but what are some resources on learning linux and linux administration to cover at least some parts of certifications exams
>>
/g/ is shit, what a waste of time.
>>
>>57536746
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/Documentation
>>
>>57536737
what do you think my problem with gnu is? its shite
>>
>>57536733
Thanks
>>
Any Gentoo hardened kernel pros here?
why is my compilation failing due to a lot of section mismatch errors? i'm trying to compile the latest hardened-sources.
>>
>>57536686

It doesn't do that. I'm not even sure if there's a flag to make it install optional dependencies upon install. Therefore you're either lying or you used a shitty pacman wrapper (Yaourt or whatever shit is popular) that installed them for you.
>>
>>57536746
http://www.tldp.org/guides.html
>>
>>57535459
For facebook they collect everything you posted, typed on a chat, every group you are part of, they probably can tell where you study, work, who are your Friends. They also collect what you look at when browsing facebook. Even where your cursor is.

Not having facebook doesn't make you a weirdo.
>>
File: ZelWiiH.jpg (74KB, 610x767px) Image search: [Google]
ZelWiiH.jpg
74KB, 610x767px
>>57536722
You're right.
Because most of the distros uses hybrid ISO, not the regular ISO, that's why slax/hiren's/puppy doesn't boot when you burn the ISO to USB flash drive.
To see if the ISO is hybrid you can run
head -c 512 thefile.iso > bytes.txt

In a proper non-hybrid ISO the bytes should all be zeros. Though in theory they could contain any random garbage, so in a non-zero case it is harder to confirm if it is a hybrid without more in-depth analysis of the bytes.
Another way is to rub fdisk on the file. If it shows anything meaningful, it is hybrid.
>>
>richard stallman is a leftist cuck
brb install bsd
>>
>>57536916
Nope. Only pacman.
I newer install anything kde/qt yet I had ~150mb of kdelibs that turned out to be purely optional.
>>
>>57537200
installing bsd right now
ditching leftist software never felt this good
>>
What RDP client does fglt use?
>>
>>57537236
How can fglt use something? It's a thread
>>
>>57537210
so you're installing from the terminal? if that's the case, it should ask about optional dependencies, and if you're not using the terminal then yes you are using a wrapper for pacman, most likely pamac, which for me does some wierd shit, like try to uninstall dependencies needed by other programs when I uninstall something, so I have to uninstall from the terminal to not break the system
>>
so i have this netbook i want to set up for use in our band's practice-space. it's obviously a piece of shit so i'm thinking lightweight distro but i still need a gui for simpletons so my guys &girls don't complain about "i can't do anything with this computer fixit,fixit,fixit anon!"

tl;dr: what are some user-friendly distros that run well on shitty hardware
>>
File: OhQqJjl.jpg (302KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
OhQqJjl.jpg
302KB, 2048x1365px
>>57536684
Anyone?
>>
>dev of foobar writes versions for android and mac
>refuses to make one for linux

f-fine I'll just use clementine then. I d-don't even care about the bloat
>>
>>57537344
install xubuntu, and have a look at lmms
>>
>>57537390
Use MPD, FFS
>>
>>57537390
you really don't cause clementine is the coolest.

except if yr using mpd. use mpd! it's better than both.
>>
>>57537294
Yes, terminal.
No, I don't remember being asked about that particular package. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure though.
>>
>>57537210

Again, familiarize yourself with how pacman works. Pacman WILL NOT install optional dependencies. It will only show them after an install.
You can argue, make up reasons or try to figure out how you installed those things, but you cannot convince other people that pacman installed those optional dependencies automatically for you. Because it doesn't, it's not programmed to do that.
>>
>>57537423
you should have seen a list with all optional dependencies listed and it waiting for input, if you just hit enter, the default is to install everything
>>
>>57537425
I know tnat it shows them.

I''m saying that I got stuff that I was not asked about and when I removed it nothing broke. Therefore it must be optional.

Conclusion: either I fucked up or unnecessary optional stuff was pulled by pacman
>>
>>57537452

>unnecessary optional stuff was pulled by pacman
It wasn't. It astounds me how you still haven't realized that it's impossible for that to happen. It's not advanced physics. It's a simple concept.
>>
>>57537399
sounds legit, downloading xubuntu now.

funny i never heard of lmms, what does it do different/better than ardour?
>>
>>57537477
In that case it looks like I fucked up.

Well, will try Aipine(or void, if it can run with no coreutils) and then Arch again with more cauton.

Sorry for misinformation
>>
File: Screenshot_20161116_190037.png (23KB, 482x407px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161116_190037.png
23KB, 482x407px
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>57537527
>synaptic
>>
>>57535307

Oh look, the "/pol/ is leftist" guy again!

Reminder to sage, hide and report!
>>
>>57537536
think your funny faggot I'll suck you dick and see who's laughing then
>>
>>57537200
>>57537226
>how dare people disagree politically with me?!?
>>
>>57537553

Software is apolitical. You're in the wrong place. That's like going to a farmer's market to buy electronics. Only a retard would do that.

tl;dr: you're a retard for coming to a specific software related thread and arguing about irrelevant politics. I suggest you kill yourself, because you must be terminally retarded to do something like this.
>>
>>57537579
Why does this thread have a political image as its OP then? something doesn't make sense here
>>
>>57537579
Free software is 100% political.
>>
>>57537697
>>>/r/eddit
>>>/r/memes
>>
>>57537648

I don't know, I don't even look at it. You're on 4chan, is this the first time you joined a thread? There's a thread with a Japanese comic picture about Windows updates, and a thread with a picture of a frog about new programming languages.

>>57537697

I don't see it, without massively shoehorning it.
>>
hey guys! what if a coup were to take place here suddenly? i'm just asking... a purely hypothetical proposition.
what's the makeup of the thread and what party is in power right now?
>>
>>57537722
You don't know what free software is, you might be confusing it with open source software.

http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

>>57537720
No I'm not leaving, this is MY thread, you're the one who's supposed to leave if you don't like it. Go start your own.
>>
>>57537764
not for long then i guess
we'll have to take over.
you and your friends will be executed though
>>
>>57537744

Well, a coup d'état IS taking place in America as we speak...
>>
>>57537781
yes. but in the case of this thread war crimes aren't off the table
>>
>>57537648
As much as OP's cartoon is political, it's message is really just common sense...
>>
>>57537813
for it to be common sense it should be correct
but how can it be correct if the things on that picture are derived from a false starting point that implies there are mainstream economists who are not left wing economists
>>
>>57537764
>this is MY thread
but i thought you fucks didn't believe in private property.
if this is truly the case I would like to see some proof of ownership
>>
hey, is this poster truly the owner of this thread?
>>57537764
why are there no "no trespassing" sings here or anything else that would indicate that non-retards can't come here?
if he cannot verify that he is the true owner of this property i'm claiming it.
i'll wait for 5 minutes then i'm taking this over.
>>
File: 2016-11-16-13:04:02.png (18KB, 414x111px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-16-13:04:02.png
18KB, 414x111px
>>57537929

I present proof to verify me as the owner of this thread.
Hereby I grant everyone the right to trespass my private property and talk about everything software related. No politics allowed.
>>
>>57537971
okay. this is good enough then. i won't take over ownership of your thread.
now delete the OP image as it is in fact political and it violates the contract you have formed with me in your third sentence.
>>
forgot to add this. if the image is still up and the contract is still in violation after 5 minutes i am invoking clause 15 of the /g/ treaty and claiming exclusive ownership over this thread with the right to remove anyone from the premises
>>
File: 1389968809435.gif (442KB, 441x270px) Image search: [Google]
1389968809435.gif
442KB, 441x270px
>tfw the only surviving member of the founding council

at least the others didn't live to see what this place has become. I will rest with them soon.
>>
File: Ronald_Reagan-AB.jpg (66KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ronald_Reagan-AB.jpg
66KB, 334x250px
Mr. Thread owner, tear down that picture.
>>
seems like this thread is mine after all.
i declare myself exclusive owner of this thread from this very moment.
>>57538041
your laws do no apply here anymore. now please leave this thread. you and your cronies aren't allowed on this property anymore.
the provisional set of laws applying to everyone in this thread from the moment this post is made:
all rms posters are to immediately leave the thread.
a senate is to be established within a few days. all senators are appointed for life by the owner. no elections.
all senatorial decisions have to be approved by the owner.
everyone else can stay until explicitly told to leave by the owner or any member of the senate.
>>57538061
Yes. That will be done shortly i'm contacting the construction company
>>
for anyone willing to become a senator write your applications as a reply to this post.
>>
>>57538129

Senator application.

I have been using free software unknowingly for a long time. Actively for the past 2 years, once I switched to a Linux distribution. I am GNU friendly. I support systemd. I recognize only a few core distributions. I do not approve of shitty niche distributions and will build concentration camps for people who insist on using them. I will work actively to tell everyone to commit suicide who uses the buzzphrases "lightweight" and "user-friendly".
>>
>>57538129
Free software is good in my opinion.
I don't agree with practices of FSF, RMS and Lennart Pottering.
I'm a strong advocate of niche distributions, since variety is strength.

With me in senate, people like >>57538158 will be "valuntarily" sent for "re-education"
>>
>>57538158
>>57538094
>>57537983
>>57537971

Stop replying to yourself.
>>
>>57538158
>I am GNU friendly
declined. You will be tried for treason within the next few hours.
Lock him up!
>>57538178
We will contact you shortly.
>>57538184
Is this meant to be an application or are you implying the owner of this thread is a liar? I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>57538178
This poster is know officially a senator of /fglt/ (friendly Gentoo Linux thread).

You may proceed with the creation of valuntary re-education camps
- Signed by the exclusive owner of Friendly Gentoo Linux thread
>>
>>57533128
>implying economists are right-leaning
>>
>>57538271
>edgy memes
>>
>>57538271
this. Seems like the previous owner had no understanding of even the basics of economics, political science or anything even remotely related to them.
It's no surprise though
>>
>>57533756
>>57533544
>2)
First you have a group of plaintext files called the source code. They might be organised in different ways for the programmers' convenience.
If we're talking about C, which is the most common language you can find, .c files are the source code that nobody but the program in question needs, and contain most of "how to do something", and .h files are definitions of functions and data, mostly "what is there in the program", other programs need them to interact with the program if it's applicable, and also they kinda tie symbols from different .c files together, when they crossreference each other.
Now, you have a compiler. For example, gcc (GNU Compiler Collection, including GNU C Compiler) or LLVM+Clang (wants to substitute GCC, but sucks at optimisations, rocks at debugging).
They go through plaintext files of source code, parse them, build their own internal structures of how the source code looks, then rearrange these structures to lesser or greater degree (to get faster code execution or maybe to save up on filesize), for every .c file they generate .o file, the object file, holding machine code that executes what this particular .c file tells it to execute. The .o files can't be executed yet, they have several placeholders in place. That's because they need the information from other .o files, these need to be linked together.
Mind you, gcc is perfectly capable of generating the full executable file if you only have one .c file, but this is only a good idea for the simplest of programs.
After that, a linker, another program you have (usually called ld), separate from the compiler, looks through the object files it's told to link and combines them into a full executable, combining .o files, handling dynamic linking placeholders (more about that later) and adding a little bit of machine code that is needed to make the OS handle executable right. This executable can now be run... if it doesn't have any dynamic dependencies.
>will continue
>>
>>57538288

That's a comic by Stallman you jackass. Also stop shitting up the thread with your puerile games.
>>
File: logo.png (4KB, 160x139px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
4KB, 160x139px
>>57536217
Ok, it didn't go as planned. Boot process stalls at the kernel boot, my CPU goes to ~100% and nothing else happens.

Maybe skylake was not supported in april?

Anyway, till next release I will try Alpine.
>>
>>57538309
How does that change anything I've written? If someone posted a picture of that kind it is obvious that he agrees with what was on it. Thus the economic and political ignorance of Stallman was inherited by the previous owner of this thread when he posted that image
>>
>>57533128
how can someone have access to the internet and still be this ignorant?
i just can't wrap my head around this
>>
>>57538327

Pretty sure Stallman knows his shit better than some random shitposter on an Bruneian relief-printing weblog.
>>
>>57538377
Have you considered you might be the ignorant in this case, kid?
>>
>>57538398
Well, I have a degree in economics and currently having my masters.

Pretty sure I know something about economics.
>>
>>57538398
Pretty sure almost anyone on this planet knows his shit better than stallman (on this issue)
>>57538407
teah, I usually consider that a few times and then recheck. I have came to the conclusion that it is stallman whos ignorant here
>>
>>57538398
also, why do you cultists think that someone good in one field is also automatically good in every other field, even when they are vastly different?
>>
>>57538303
Dynamic linking is the issue of reusability. Some code you want to reuse often in many different programs, and putting the entirety of it into the executable may not only be complicated if a different team is working on the code you want to use, but also will waste disk space and memory, since every program that uses this exact code will have to have its own copy, which is inefficient. And the case when one piece of code is used by tons of programs is actually really frequent.
So, we have .so files in Linux, or .dll files in Windows, or .dylib files in OS X, called "libraries" which hold this code that many other programs want to use. These are separate files from the executable files, but they too hold fully functional and linked machine code.
When a program wants to use it, it has placeholders in it telling to search for such a file left by the linker, the placeholders are parsed by a special program called "dynamic linker", and then not-sure-who searches for them based on where the OS puts them, loads them into memory, and finally load the executable file itself into memory with references to where it should find the code from dynamic libraries.
If it sounds complicated, that's because it is, but it's better that way than otherwise. Look up "Dependency hell", there's actually lots of problems with handling dynamic libraries right, especially considering they're often made by a different team compared to the one that made the program. Still, they're really important, so programmers make workarounds to handle this stuff.
>fix me if I screwed up somewhere, I'm not completely sure of this part
>will continue
>>
Hey guys, I'm new to Linux but have a question.

Let's say I'm using Fedora, and a piece of software isn't in the official repo's and I install it manually, will I have to continuously re install the software when updates arrive? Or will it automatically update?
>>
>>57538489
[preemptively kills all rms posters that will reply with their shitty pastas]

No need to thank me, my friend.
>>
>>57538408
Well, virtually every economist alive seems to agree that brexit and tearing up NAFTA/paris agreement are going to be bad for the economy, and will most likely have long-term negative political consequences based on historical studies, so what do you have to say about that?
>>
>>57538489
And to answer your question. Yeah. Better install software that is in your official repos since you will have to update other software manually. It isn't an issue though if you aren't going to use a lot of "3rd party" software
>>
File: blackscienceguy.png (3MB, 1440x1345px) Image search: [Google]
blackscienceguy.png
3MB, 1440x1345px
>>57538500
>trying to have a rational conversation with a right-wing extremist
>>
>>57538506
Thank you for the response, that's exactly what I needed to know
>>
File: 1478380627562.jpg (62KB, 1182x684px) Image search: [Google]
1478380627562.jpg
62KB, 1182x684px
Okay, so this is hopefully be an easy one for most of you. I'm still full on struggling with it, though.

I'm trying to set my keyboard to execute a custom bash script that increments or decrements a variables' value each time the script is run, then use that variable. So far, so good. I was thinking of implementing this via a custom bash script that reads the variable in question from a file each time it needs to access it, then write the incremented/decremented value back to the file after incrementing/decrementing.

My concern is that, if I'm using an SSD drive, would frequently reading and writing to the same file be an issue? I'm imagining that if I knew what I was doing, I would look at somehow using a real-time RAM variable, or am I too overly worried about this? Thanks a lot if you've got any suggestions.
>>
>>57538525
not if your SSD has been made in a good, honest, hardworking chinese slave factory
>>
>>57538500
Not that guy, but you just admitted that the image is incorrect. Congrats.
Either that or you just implied that supporting the EU and nafta has anything to do with right wing economics. In which case you've outed yourself as a complete retard.
Checkmate
>>
>>57538525
don't worry about doing too many read/write cycles on SSD's. this was a problem for older ones, newer ones will likely be deprecated long before they get worn out.
>>
>>57538489
And this, new friend, is why we don't use Fedora/RPM based distro's. Debian and Arch have huge software repo's, although you would have to use Debian Testing/Unstable for up to date packages.
>>
>>57538515
Also, it's better to install dependencies for your 3rd party software from your official repos since the possibility of something breaking is a lot less that way
>>
>>57538500
I can't tell aabout political conseqequences (though I can and do speculate that they will be long-run and rather negative), while economic analysis and comparison with USA and Europe (as a whole and with particular states) history suggests that it's not goiing to end particularly good for the Britain.

That sait I have to point out 2 things:
1. Economics is nos universal and has dosens of sub-disciplines and I personally more of a micro-economist and am not qualified enough to reliably predict such things (though my masters are in macro + politics)
2. You should always remember that such "predictions" are often educated guesses. And more often than not they will reinforce each other due to various reasons. Therefore "virtually anyone agrees" is a flawed argument.
>>
I'm trying to set up mpd as a systemd user service on a new machine and for some reason it's not working even though the same set up did on the last machine.

I have /home/me/.config/systemd/user/mpd.service but when I do 'systemctl --user enable mpd.service' it gives me 'Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory'.

The service can be started with 'systemctl --user start mpd.service' but it fails when trying to enable it.

This is the service file:

Description=Music Player Daemon
After=network.target sound.target

User=alex

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/mpd
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

# allow MPD to use real-time priority 50
LimitRTPRIO=50
LimitRTTIME=infinity

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Also=mpd.socket
>>
>>57538508
is that all your capable of lmao?
>right-wing
>extremist
explain in what way is this bad?
>rational conversation
hehe... i don't think your kind is even capable of this
>>
>>57538485
Now, returning to compilation, the previous explanation assumed you are typing all the commands to compiler and linker manually. But it's inconvenient, so we have special plaintext files called makefiles, usually named Makefile or such. They hold the instructions to the compiler and linker to build the program fully with minimum of user interaction, and also usually the instructions to install it (which involves copying files to special directories on Linux). When you call the program make, it searches for such a file in the directory you called it in, and executes the automated instructions.
The big thing about makefiles is that they're deterministic. They have to have all the files and arguments it needs to build explicitly mentioned either in call to make or in makefile itself. So, if you add a new .c file with new code, and crossreference it correctly in other files but not in makefile, make will not be able to find it. Also, if you want to pass different parameters and stuff to the compiler, it can be complicated too.
So, to work around it, there is stuff like cmake and configure files and autotools which generate makefiles automatically. Also, a ton of other build systems too. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to generate a makefile for a program. They're easy to write for humans too actually, just kinda obnoxious for big programs.
The user mostly just needs to call one correct executable without parameters, except for configure, the whole point of which is to tell what you want to compile in by passing parameters to it, but they're easy as long as you can read and know to pass --help to them first.
All this stuff mostly holds true for compiled programs. Interpreted languages like Python, or something like Java or C#, or the entirety of Android work in a different way. But most of the Linux ecosystem will work like that.
Hope you didn't get confused by all this. It's a pretty in-depth explanation, I think.
>fix me if I'm wrong somewhere, please
>>
Im thinking of installing budgie on ubuntu 16.04 . is this a good idea . also after installing it , how can i possible remove it and if like it can i remove the default unity desktop environment
>>
>>57533128
swap economists with MSM
swap left and right
walla!
>>
>>57538615
Shouldn't you be posting cartoon frogs on twitter?
>>
>>57538628
>twitter
don't have an account there
>cartoon frogs
but why would I post the cartonn frog meme on twitter? did you mistake me for someone from pol?

also you didn't answer my questions. don't you think that's conducive to a rational conversation?
>>
>>57538625
Care to explain how are our economic policies any left-wing when they only benefit bankers and massive corporations?
>>
I am trying to install
https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au
but I am getting this error
 make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/build M=/root/Downloads/rtl8812au-master  modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:1052: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I have little to no experience with linux. ad am running the latest version of debian.
>>
>>57538663
and am*
Typing on spare rubberdome, sorry
>>
>>57538663
Are you doing this as root or using sudo?

It can't find your kernel modules directory, is that version really the kernel you are running?
>>
>>57538663
haven't used debian but this should work mate
https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#Debian_8_.22Jessie.22
>>
>>57538709
As root.
And yeah 3.16.0-4-amd64 is the only folder in my /lib/modules/ folder

>>57538724
I'll try that now.
>>
>>57538755
You shouldn't need to be doing make with root, just install.
>>
>>57538764
Does it make a difference?
>>
>>57538778
Yes, potentially.
>>
>>57538624
pls respond , i especially wanna know how to remove budgie if i dont like it , i googled it and didnt find shit about how to remove budgie
>>
>GNU

Stop this meme already
>>
>>57538786
yes you can do everything you've said. just install it and choose it in your login manager it doesn't get any easier than that
>>
>>57538786
sudo apt remove --purge budgie (or whatever the package name is). Remove what you install basically.
>>
>>57537413
>>57537415
Not him.
I just want to make a static playlist from lots of different albums and jump around it chaotically/make a ton of different playlists, one for each album I'm currently listening to, and jump between them chaotically.
I love MPD for its daemon nature and for being able to control it with WM keybindings or shell scripts, but my preferred way to listen to music is completely incompatible with its KISS philosophy and a single queue, it seems.
I don't know of any Linux player that supports the way I love to play music. Foobar did. Foobar was the player that spoiled me, allowing me to get used to this way.
>>
>>57538628
so you can't answer any of my questions? how predictable
>>
>>57538806
mpd supports playlists, as does deadbeef.
>>
>>57538780
Same error. I'll try what the other anon sent.
>>
>>57538819
Oh yeah, I didn't mention.
After the series of chaotic jumps is over, I often like to listen to the rest of album that was the last one in order.
OK, or more like, I like to listen to the album in order from the song I specified, but I want to be able to start chaotically jumping around other albums at any moment when I get bored of this one, and then when the jump series is exhausted, I want to continue listening to the album the last song was in, in order.
I don't think it's possible with MPD normally, since you either add a track to the queue or you don't.
I think maybe just adding whole albums to the queue when I want to listen to album, and then cropping when I get bored of the album and adding songs manually after that will work. But dunno, that sound pretty inconvenient to control.
I even know this sounds like a really weird way to listen to music, and me being spoiled, but the thing is, foobar allowed for that. So it's not like it's something impossible.
On the other hand, music database, control flexibility and daemon nature of MPD are GOAT. I really wish these existed too.
I didn't try deadbeef, though.
>>
>>57533128
Humor or humour.
>>
>>57538933
>humor or humor
seems like you made a typo
>>
>>57538912
I don't know, I'm not sure I really understand what you want to do with it to be honest. It might be possible with some players, I have a feeling that qoudlibet might be able to do what you want. You can use foobar in wine though if you really want to, it works.
>>
>>57538948
Seems like you voted for Donald Trump.
>>
>>57538959
I didn't vote though
>>
>>57538818
>p-pls bite my bait
lmao pathetic
>>
>>57538987
Yeah, that makes even more sense.
>>
Got a script that I must run with source and 'set -e' to make sure every command is executed in the right order, however, I also want to come back to the shell in case one of the programs fails. I got this setup right now, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
trap 'bash' 0
# rest of the script here

Any feedback much appreciated

Also just noticed that it nests bash calls everytime the program fails, so this definitely isn't a proper solution.
>>
>>57538990
In what way?
>>
>>57539007
Christ, you are pathetic.
>>
>>57539016
>can't even answer a simple question and expects everyone to know his world view and his thinking
Christ, you are pathetic.
>>
>>57539039
ok hun
>>
>>57538949
>I'm not sure I really understand what you want to do with it
Yeah, it's kinda complicated. In foobar, I basically had multiple playlists, I begin listening to one, and then at any moment I might want to start jumping around them by putting separate songs from those playlists into queue. Then, I want to continue listening to a different playlist starting from the last song I put into queue, I usually specifically put it there to jump to that playlist.
>qoudilbet
Will look it up, first time hearing about it.
>foobar in wine
Consider it, but no integration with Linux and running a huge wineserver underneath stopped me.
For the moment, I'm doing with custom patched to mpd and ncmpcpp, but they're still a bit inconvenient, and I fear they will break eventually, so I really want to find a player that does all this stuff natively if it exists. Also, it's just a bit sad, if there's still no player that allows for complicated queue managing like this. Maybe if it bothers me enough and I don't find any alternatives or better options, I will eventually write my own, and it will be like an unholy mix of MPD and Foobar's features that I prefer. Or maybe it's a dumb idea, and I just don't understand why simplicity is good well enough.
In any case, I should really look into the player you mentioned and deadbeef. Thanks.
>>
>>57539051
christ, your pathetic.
>>
>>57539085
>your
If only this were just bait.
>>
>>57539114
was*
>>
>>57539118

learn 2 English son
>>
>>57539073
I think quodlibet is the best bet with the more to describe this. Or maybe cantata, it has more flexibility than ncmpcpp. You just might need to make a sacrifice and listen to music in a slightly more conventional way though. Occasionally there has to be changes in the way you work when switching from one OS to another. Or maybe just think about what you are doing in a slightly different way.
>>
>>57539114
>he can't explain his point of view and expects everyone to agree with him
if only this were just bait
>>
>>57539152
Epic, come back when you have finished your English lessons, honey.
>>
>>57539160
epic come back when you have finished you're English lessons, hun.
>>
File: 1467259743595.jpg (218KB, 784x904px) Image search: [Google]
1467259743595.jpg
218KB, 784x904px
EMBRACE, EXTEND, EXTINGUISH

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation/
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-16_11-40-59.png (85KB, 915x575px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-16_11-40-59.png
85KB, 915x575px
Did firefox 50 finally get thumbnail previews? I honestly can't remember what the file picker looked like in 49
>>
>>57539799
i really want to know RMS's reaction to this.
>>
>>57540342
>finally
No, it's always had it by calling GTK file picker
>>
>>57540342
whats wrong with your arc?
>>
>>57539799
So...BSD?
>>
>>57540505
alright maybe it just unbroke itself for me.

>>57540521
I need to grab the latest off github, I broke it trying to edit something but have been to lazy to reinstall it.
>>
>>57533150
>left
>freedom

do communists unironically believe that their authoritarian state is """free""""?
>>
>>57540602
it seems like they do
>>
I installed ubuntu 16.10 instead of 16.04, should I reinstall? Is there a less destructive way to downgrade?
>>
>>57540442
who you care?
>>
>>57540602
>authoritarian state
>leftism
Nigga, you seem confused. Marx and Bakunin were anarchists. You must be thinking of capitalism and corporate power.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-16_18-29-12.png (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-16_18-29-12.png
337KB, 1920x1080px
i changed from unity to xfce ( on ubuntu) and in the settings , there are no users acounts settings . wtf ? any solution ?
>>
>>57540806
oh shit in the end i failed to cover my ayyrab name
>>
$ sudo apt-get install eclipse-cdt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
ant ant-optional aspectj binfmt-support ca-certificates-java default-jdk default-jre default-jre-headless eclipse-cdt-jni eclipse-jdt
eclipse-pde eclipse-platform eclipse-platform-data eclipse-rcp fastjar fonts-dejavu-extra jarwrapper junit junit4 libapache-pom-java
libart-2.0-2 libasm3-java libasm4-java libaspectj-java libasyncns0 libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni libbonoboui2-0
libbonoboui2-common libcglib3-java libcommons-beanutils-java libcommons-cli-java libcommons-codec-java libcommons-collections3-java
libcommons-compress-java libcommons-dbcp-java libcommons-digester-java libcommons-httpclient-java libcommons-lang-java
libcommons-logging-java libcommons-parent-java libcommons-pool-java libdb-java libdb-je-java libdb5.3-java libdb5.3-java-jni
libeasymock-java libecj-java libequinox-osgi-java libfelix-bundlerepository-java libfelix-gogo-command-java libfelix-gogo-runtime-java
libfelix-gogo-shell-java libfelix-osgi-obr-java libfelix-shell-java libfelix-utils-java libflac8 libgail18 libgconf2-4
libgeronimo-jpa-2.0-spec-java libgeronimo-osgi-support-java libglade2-0 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0
libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libhamcrest-java libice-dev libicu4j-4.4-java libicu4j-java
libjetty8-java libjline-java libjsch-java libjtidy-java libjzlib-java libkxml2-java liblucene2-java libnspr4 libnss3 libobjenesis-java
libosgi-compendium-java libosgi-core-java libosgi-foundation-ee-java libpulse0 libregexp-java libsctp1 libservlet2.5-java
libservlet3.0-java libsm-dev libsndfile1 libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni libswt-glx-gtk-3-jni libswt-gnome-gtk-3-jni libswt-gtk-3-java...

Why is this allowed?

I'm trying to keep a minimal system going. I only have 1005 packages installed for christs sake
>>
>>57540780
>can't open business
>pay abhorrent taxes
>free
>>
>>57540852
Because a bloat software will require a lot of dependencies.
>>
>>57540915
>oppressive state
>socially just
See, I can play that game too.
>>
>>57540806
look under
Applications > Administration > Users and Groups
>>
>>57540780
I see. It makes sense that an anarchist would advocate for the creation of a strong centralized state that would enact his wealth redistribution policies.
>implying government control of the economy doesn't create corpropatism
also kekd at this one
>>
>>57540938
define oppressive, define just, define socially just (define here means explaining it in this context and not linking me to a dictionary site)
next explain how it is socially just and not oppressive
>anarchist
>state
also explain how is this even possible?
i'll wait, but i'm not holding my breath
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-16_18-40-06.png (19KB, 874x225px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-16_18-40-06.png
19KB, 874x225px
>>57540852
without package splitting it'd probably pull in programs like gimp and gnome shell
>libgnomeui-common
>libgnomecanvas2-common

>muh 10 packages
>>
>>57540852
>minimal system
>1005 packages
you already failed
>>
>>57541043
I blame needing a LAMP stack and Python

For some reason, 140 packages for php
>>
>>57540672

Why would you downgrade?
>>
>>57540852

Hint: look at the no-recommends and no-suggests flags, idiot.
There was probably no reason for me to say "idiot", but I just have issues.
>>
>>57541094
>but I just have issues.
you're so cool and mysterious!
>>
what are the modern and still actively developed terminal emulators for linux?

i was using final term (http://worldwidemann.com/final-term-a-modern-terminal-emulator/)
but it's dead now (http://worldwidemann.com/finally-terminated/)

thank you /fglt/
>>
>go to install Solus
>cannot install to my SSD alongside Wangblows

pic related is my gparted, running Solus live right now
>>
Best KDE distro?
>>
>>57541245
i am >>57541218
i just found this
https://hyper.is/
what do you think?
>>
>>57541245
kubuntu
>>
>>57541231
Did you for some reason attempt to install on the same partition as Windows? Or choose to format the drive and install?
>>
>>57541257

My computer couldn't cope with that website. It's disgusting on a really low level.
>>
>>57541266
I 'shrunk' the partition within Wangblows but no allocated space showed up in Disk Management despite losing roughly 50GB from the drive. I'm certain that the SSD needs a complete wipe at this point though, I have fucked up my partitions many times.
>>
>>57541257
I like the effects and shit.

I wonder if that could be implemented into tiling window manger like awesome.
>>
>>57541320
hey, i am actually using awesome too. the problem that i would have with >>57541257 is that you need a full chromium instance every time you open a terminal.
>>
>>57541270
>computer couldn't cope
>really low level

you got the module loaded?
>>
>>57541320

>implemented
What do you mean? It's literally a terminal emulator that can be run regardless of the window manager.
>>
>>57541320

If you want to wait for some time for a term to open. You would just need to install it and bind it to a key in your rc.lua
>>
>>57541392
>rc.lua
is there any windows manager written in javascript?
>>
>>57535424
Try a different DE/WM. Openbox and i3 make it pretty easy to configure keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>57541298
GParted shows no partitions for the drive, so could be a partition table issue. If you've backed up data, you can attempt to repair (GParted supports fsck as frontend I think?), or, like you said, format and install fresh. If latter, I suggest to perform ATA secure erase prior to formatting to restore write performance on SSD.
>>
>>57541425
Google tells me JSWM, but it looks incomplete and is probably bad supported
>>
>>57541597
>google
enjoy your botnet
>>
>>57541425
Javascript belongs into the browser.
>>
>>57541043
>what is package splitting
found the newfag
>>
new thread when? :3
>>
>>57542100
After 310. only the newfag OPs make a new one at 300.
>>
>>57541231
>he fell for the solus meme
>>
>>57542120
but newfags are not supposed to have know the 300 limit, no?
>>
>>57542120

Fuck you.

New thread, now with more dubz: 57542133
>>
New thread: >>57542129
>>
>>57542131
>but newfags are not supposed to have know the 300 limit, no?
Literally what?
The bump limit on /g/ is 310
>>
>>57542148
DELTE THIS NO GO HERE >>57542133
>>
>>57542152
it was 300 not so long ago
>>
>>57542171

For all intensive porpoises it still is.
>>
Good thread.
>>
>>57542260
Yeah.
>>
>>57540942

Marx believed in historical process, Capitalism was like Socialism: just a phase on the path to Communism.

In a Communist society there is no State.

Anarchists and Communists are fighting for the same thing, by different means.
>>
>>57542518
>Anarchists and Communists are fighting for the same thing, by different means.
Yes and no. They all want to reach stateless society. But communists are really working in that direction by gathering proletariat. While anarchists are working in the opposite direction by serving bourgeoisie.
>>
>>57542656
>While anarchists are working in the opposite direction by serving bourgeoisie.

Serving?

Historically, Anarchists tended to be more violent in their methods: attacking all sources of State power.

In times of a power vaccuum this method proved quite effective. Ukraine was Anarchist for much of the 1920s and their black army fought off both the Red and White armies.
>>
>>57542713
>Historically, Anarchists tended to be more violent in their methods: attacking all sources of State power.
Yes, like that they repulse proletariat. They also fight communism. They're bourgeois watchdogs.
>>
@57542518
@57542656
@57542713
@57542744
why does anything to do with tech attracts the shittiest """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""people""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""?
>>
>>57542744

Ukraine flattened power relationships. Where hierachy was necessary, it was consensual.

There was no private property.
>>
>>57543006
You're dreaming anon.
>>
>>57543006
>it was consensual
>there was no private property
so every single person (i believe the number was more than 5 million) there decided to voluntarily give away their private property?
>>
>>57543244

No, it's a fact.
>>
>>57543617
Anarchists are always dreaming.
>>
>>57543299
>so every single person (i believe the number was more than 5 million) there decided to voluntarily give away their private property?

"Property" is a legal definition. All productive capacity was held in common, like land, resources and factories.

If an individual attempted to monopolize a resource, it broke the non-aggression principle.
>>
>>57543657

Have you decided to deny historical fact?

I suggest you Google: "Nestor Makhno"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno
>>
>>57543657
>2016, never heard of the Ukrainian Free Territory...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Territory
>>
>>57541218
Termite
>>
>>57543719
from your link

>called for "[f]reedom of speech
freedom for bourgeois to do propaganda

>the economy was based upon free exchange between rural and urban communities
bourgeois

Where did they abolish private property?
>>
better delete your shitty posts
i've mad a virus that will hack your brain and deactivate it in a few minutes
compiling it right now... just wait
>>
>>57543995
kys
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.