[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Other than criminals, who even buys dumbphones these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 17

File: 1469762938526.jpg (125KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1469762938526.jpg
125KB, 500x333px
Other than criminals, who even buys dumbphones these days?
>>
>>57524144
Those who don't want to charge their phone every night.
>>
Older patrons
Parents for children who require controlled/minimal usage
Businesses

How long did you expect this thread to go for?
>>
>>57524144
>shitting on phones from before 2007, aka they year tech went to shit and dragged the world with it
>>
>>57524144
why would I need a smartphone if I only call and text? I only own a smartphone because I got one for free.
>>
Luddites
>>
Samsung S5610, doing big business with it.
Best phone ever.
>>
Poor people
>>
>>57524144
>blackberry
>dumbphone

OP, do you even know what a dumbphone is?

You're a dumbperson.
>>
I would buy a dumbphone if there was a really thin, cheap one with e-ink.
>>
>>57524221

>e-ink

Stop this fucking meme.
>>
File: 14731108138500.jpg (34KB, 341x604px) Image search: [Google]
14731108138500.jpg
34KB, 341x604px
>>57524144
>symbian
>dumbphone
That one actually hurts
>>
>>57524230
No, you.
The screen have to be small and the battery will last for weeks on standby
>>
>>57524201
That's no excuse anymore. New Windows phones were like 20 dollars.
>>
I use dumbphones for my phone calls.

If I want to do other stuff I have a regular computer.
>>
Smart people use dumbphones

Dumb people use smartphones
>>
retarded, vocal hipsters - just want to be different, no matter what the cost
neo-luddites - are anti technology but always in the closet about it and don't want to admit it, only luddites in terms of sticking with whatever they happened to have at the time, exactly the same as their grandma who they made fun of for refusing to learn a PC over a typewriter for 30+ years
nostalgia shits - can't let go of whatever they happened to have at the time because they're failures and have to forever live in a time when they still had potential
anyone repeating memes from when smartphones were new - about as bad as SSD meme shits, "muh battery", "muh fart apps"
ham fisted - think they need a dumbphone because they keep dropping it
special kind of privacy shit - thinks that smartphones are tracking devices but somehow thinks dumbphones are immune to this
actual old people - scared 100x more than death of change

Should cover all the bases. Same shitty type of faggot pretty much.
>>
So lets summarize, dumb-phones are for:

>Druggies and other kinds of criminal scum
>Luddites
>Millennials nu-male hipsters
>Basement dweller NEETs who lack any kind of social life

Am I missing anyone else?
>>
>>57524290
/thread
>>
File: desconectados-864x400_c.jpg (57KB, 864x400px) Image search: [Google]
desconectados-864x400_c.jpg
57KB, 864x400px
>>57524298
Nope, nailed it
>>
>>57524298
Old people.
>>
>>57524144
I use them when Im going to a party and know IM getting drunk or something. I think thats the only use people gives them today
>>
>>57524298
Or people who want a phone. Just a phone.

Not a facebook machine. A phone.

They don't want e-mail or candy crush. They want a phone.

So they buy a phone.
>>
>>57524372
What kind of a jaded person would be like this?
>>
>>57524382
I'd fall into that category, for one.
>no social life
>poor impulse control, fucking with phone at uni too much

If I ever follow through on getting a job I'm seriously gonna just bust out a sheet or two of crossword puzzles during my breaks while still ignoring people.
>>
>>57524372

Literally no reason to own a dumphone unless you fall into one of the groups that I already explained here >>57524298

Since we're on /g/ I assume you're most likely the NEET with no social life, or maybe, the nu-male millennial hipster (we can thank reddit for bringing this scum to 4chan btw)
>>
>>57524445
>fucking with phone at uni too much
So you're not in that category unless you mean you're playing Space Impact?
>>
me b/c $7 a month service fee and the phone itself is even cheaper
>>
>>57524372
>Fuck those dumb teens, who needs gaems and facebook!
A smartphone is pretty much a computer on your pocket. Who wouldn't want that? Do you use your computer at home for Facebook and Candy Crush exclusively?
>>
>>57524445
>>57524382
>>57524372
The "just a phone" argument is still just a different shade of the "I'm better than you" hipster shit.

just as bad as grandmas who can't figure out that the START button on windows turns the computer off and refuse to learn for decades, now we have 20 year olds spouting "muh facebook", aspiring to be their grandma, forever stuck in this weird 2006 time in which they somehow think you can't take this shit off.

If you bought a piece of shit from a carrier that doesn't let you uninstall, try this: Actually have self control and don't pay attention to a 40x40 square icon that you weren't going to use anyway. but we all know you won't do this because the hipster disease kicks in when you see that and you think you're a "normal"
>>
>>57524298

poorfags.

>tfw no smartphone

also, should I buy a tablet instead of a chinkphone if I want to have access to a myriad of android exclusive apps apps ?

(no bluestacks is shit, remixOS aswell)
>>
>>57524497
Nova launcher is pretty good desu
>>
>>57524298
>Basement dweller NEETs who lack any kind of social life
That's me.
>>
>>57524499
>tfw no high end smartphone
ftfy, I'm sure you could buy a low end smartphone right now if you wanted to.
>>
>>57524144
old people
>>
(((Gaypple))) shill in this thread

No one will buy your homosex devices for 200% homosexes
>>
>>57524461
>>57524471
>>57524497

Why should someone pay for more that what they need? Are you shareholders?

A new dumbphone is 1/10 of what a new smartphone is, here in the UK.

And "a computer in your pocket"? Yeah, a shitty, closed, computer with a tiny screen.
>>
>>57524144
Japanese.
>>
>>57524547
Nobody here says you should go into a major carrier and buy the new exploding samsung which will always be $800+. You get one used or you get a chinese phone so the max cost is $50. Android hardware is perfectly usable today just from 2012. In fact it is arguably better because you can easily root and put AOSP on it. Just FYI if you go into these carrier stores they have a dumbphone "choice" available sometimes and it will also be a rip off.

your closed computer argument shows that you are the exact grandma you made fun of for not learning windows, you just make shit up when you're forced to learn. We recommend android, and not iphone shit which is what you think you're talking about, because you can install everything that you normally otherwise fap over:
-can dual boot linux distros
-can install replicant which is the freetard android
-can carry roms around and boot to as many as you want
-can install any app you want off the app store without rooting

You're thinking of your precious dumbphone only having some half assed version of java on it. Shit changed.

you're just a neo-luddite and unwilling to learn just like your grandma, admit it already.
>>
>>57524547

I can do anything with my smartphone.Talk, texting, send pics etc. with my friends/gf/family, listen to music, watch videos, check facebook, work stuff (money transfers), shitpost on 4chan, and a long long etc.

And for people who spend 80% of their time outside of their homes, a smartphone is a must. For me, my smartphone is more important than my PC.
>>
>>57524597
Yeah, no.

Jap phones are an alternative evolution of the dumbphones, just like how android smartphones are an evolution of the dumbphones in the west.

Jap phones have been capable of many things that dumbphones/smart phones couldn't do for many years.
>>
>>57524613
Your argument failed to mention the tiny shitty screen. Besides, all you said is "you can do extra work and get your phone to do stuff your desktop does, but worse."

Whoop-de-fucking-do. Excuse me if I don't pour my money onto the counter for "what you have but worse."
>>
>>57524625
>And for people who spend 80% of their time outside of their homes, a smartphone is a must.

No it isn't. Why do you need a smartphone to go for a walk, or when you're at work, or when you're visiting friends?
>>
>>57524649
>>57524663
You're so out of touch with the world, god damn.
>>
>>57524519

yeah, looking forward to a Xiaomi Redmi 3S atm
>>
>>57524676
Explain how we've gotten to the point where NOT having your nose to a screen means your out of touch with "the world."

Then define "the world."
>>
>>57524296
Physical keyboard, more can be done with it.
>>
>>57524649
>>57524663
>>57524676
like I said, this is just the new old people making up FUD when they are 10+ years out of date.

I talked to some older people and when they were 30 in the 80s they remember accountants unwilling to use a PC and spreadsheets for made up reasons like "I don't trust them"... I can't imagine yanking my hair out for weeks trying to balance books when I have a perfect calculator that can even remember all the entries and basically print out the whole thing to present to whoever, right in front of me.

stay in the dark. old people actually brag to each other how out of touch they are, thinking that makes them cool or something.
>>
>>57524692

The world changed grandpa. Get over it.
>>
File: 41Z88W3QPDL.jpg (27KB, 475x359px) Image search: [Google]
41Z88W3QPDL.jpg
27KB, 475x359px
>>57524714
While it's rare they still have brand new android hardware that has this and you can also dual boot it on blackberry that always has it. Also android supports this technology called "bluetooth" and you can pair a bluetooth keyboard to it. also supports usb on the go so if you wanted to make a dock for it at home or work to type, you could with one adapter.

not saying you should use it for your main typing thing over a laptop but they have that out there. as far back as palm pilots, they had foldable pocket keyboards.
>>
>>57524732
>old people actually brag to each other how out of touch they are, thinking that makes them cool or something.

This is so fucking true, I see it all the times on my parents and generally old people.

Why the fuck do they do that?
>>
I talked to a relatively young guy who owns a dumbphone and asked him why he used that instead of an smartphone like everybody else. He said that he didn't like people bothering him with dumb stuff and that if somebody really needed him they'd call him and he'd call when he needed somebody. Also that it made it harder for his boss and coworkers to contact him to ask him dumb questions about work stuff.

That seemed reasonably to me, but I use my smartphone for listening to music and browsing 4chan on the go so there's that.
>>
>>57524144
Alot of people you close minded fuck
>>
>>57524779
They just want their generation to feel special.
>>
>>57524741
Nah, the world is the same. Coincidently the people who convinced you it changed also think you should buy things. From them, no less.

>>57524732
You still haven't countered the point: why have a smartphone when you have a computer? Because you're "mobile"? Exactly. I'm walking, I'm speaking, I'm doing things. What benefit is having Mario in my pocket when I'm driving?

What to read something, or write something? Why would I want to do that on a screen smaller than my hand, when I've got a full keyboard and large screen at home?
>>
>>57524811

So they're like hipsters in their own way?
>>
>>57524839
Yes, the same will happen to us as well.
>>
>>57524144
I do. Other than being able to look things up, I didn't find a smartphone useful, so I broke out my old dumbphones.
>>
>>57524290
really made me think
>>
>>57524779
They are scared beyond death of change, biblicaly so, a hundred thousand times beyond anything else. You'd legit have an easier time asking them to kill their own family with a butter knife. This is how they respond to that.

>>57524785
this is not valid, you just need to learn how to say no.

>Hey anon nice phone are you on facebook?
>Nope

that's it. if you think they will be offended or something, just make up some excuse like "I think it causes my phone to crash".
>>
>>57524144
I still use a flip phone. I'm a poor loser. "But anon they are cheap" yeah the phones may be cheap but try finding a phone plan that also is when you have a smart phone because a lot of them force bundle data plans and shit.
>>
The real question is why would you need any phone? There's so many ways to message and talk to people for free on my laptop without having to pay for cell service. Everywhere I go has free wifi anyways. Go ahead tell me why I'm a Luddite for not wasting money.
>>
>>57524857

Nah.
We've been exposed to technology from very young, unlike our parents or grandparents. Our brains will have the plasticity necessary to learn and adapt to new stuff (technology speaking) until we're really really old.

Unless of course we DON'T WANT to adapt, but that's a different story.
I know personally I'm going to do it until I die, I love new tech stuff.
>>
>>57524923
Wouldn't you love a laptop in your pocket?
>>
>>57524923
I only have one in case of car breakdowns.
>>
>>57524881
So buy something that's for facebook, but then don't use facebook on it?

How much of a good goy are you?

>>57524923
I have a dumb phone that sits in my car's glovebox. The only thing I'd need a phone for out of the house is if I broke down. Any thing else can be done when I want it done, which isn't when I'm out the house.
>>
>>57524833
Why would you go home just to read or play a game? When you're waiting for a train, or you're taking a walk or something, why not have the option to be able to read a book from your phone, or play a round or two of whatever game you enjoy? Do you not like enjoyment? Are you autistic? Grow up and stop being so immature.
>>
File: 1464486596678.webm (459KB, 1292x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464486596678.webm
459KB, 1292x1080px
>>57524967
>phones are only for facebook
>>
With nintendo switch coming we can have REAL gaming and not smart phone bs gaming on the go soon?
>>
>>57524144
i just switched yesterday back to dumbphone

was using that crap for phone only so at least now i have battery life
>>
I was dating this one girl who was amazed I didn't have a smartphone. In the end, she actually really liked the fact that when I wanted to talk to her I just called her, and I wasn't constantly looking at a phone on dates, etc., etc.

Not saying there aren't vapid drones who would refuse to date anybody they couldn't snapchat, but just so you know you can have a social life with a brickphone.
>>
>>57524948
Why? I'm either driving(where I definitely don't need a phone) at home (could just use my laptop or desktop) or at work(work computer and laptop) or eating lunch at some restaurant(with my laptop on the table)

Although the dumbphone in the car suggestion is good, I'll just save my money and maybe flag someone down to borrow a phone if I do happen to break down.
>>
>>57525002
I hope so, maybe we'll start seeing more AAA games for mobiles if Switch leads the way.
>>
>>57524785
I personally just selectively ignore messages when people are asking me shit. I keep my friends split up on purpose.
>>
>>57525015
>Eating at a restaurant with a laptop on the table
People do this?
>>
>>57525053
Well I assume he's alone
>>
One of the downsides to me still using a flip phone is trying to type out text messages with a phone number pad, it's like.. holy shit I'm just gonna call the person instead.
>>
I didn't realize there were so many drug dealers on /g/
>>
>>57525053
>>57525061
Yeah obviously not when I'm eating with others. But at that point using your phone would also be rude.
>>
>>57525076
I could only wish I had that kind of money. Hell if I did have that kind of money I wouldn't have the flip phone.
>>
>>57524948
Smartphones aren't laptops.

Stop the "it's a computer in your pocket!" meme. It was literally invented by advertisers.
>>
>>57525094
It really is though, you wouldn't believe the amount of things that they can do nowadays. They can even do VR for fuck's sake.
>>
>>57524144
Is top middle a belt buckle?
>>
>>57524983
>When you're waiting for a train

All of 5 minutes. Just sit down and think to yourself for a bit. Watch the world around you.

>or you're taking a walk or something
Same as above. Just think to yourself. Enjoy the peace and quiet in the countryside, or if you're in a city, the bustle of life going on around you.

> why not have the option to be able to read a book from your phone
Because it's the inferior option in this case, and chances are the chair or where I'm stood wont be as comfortable as my chair at home so I wouldn't be able to get in to it.

>or play a round or two of whatever game you enjoy?
Again, it's the inferior option. I can play a game or read a book at home, but I can't just look at the world around me. Why would you want to miss out on the world for something you don't need the world for?

> Do you not like enjoyment?
I love it.

>Are you autistic?
No.

>Grow up and stop being so immature.
Buying something that doesn't benefit you just so you can impress the kids on the playground isn't grown up.
>>
>>57525092
So you have a dumb-phone because you're poor?
Because if you are involved in any kind of illicit activity and own a smartphone you're asking to be put behind the bars.
>>
>>57525109
Wow! You're right! I can immerse myself in a fantasy world surrounded by people talking and the smell of a pissy commuter train.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>57525152

You can't be more dense even if you tried.
>>
>>57525159
Yeah that's mostly the reason as I pointed out in : >>57524899

Job finding is a bitch.
>>
>>57525179
I'm glad that you have come to your senses.
>>
>>57525191
So you prescribe buying something I don't want to use, and wont use?
>>
>>57525179
Now you're just grasping
>>
>>57524144

I do. Why would I pay an upward of $100 USD a month for a smartphone plan when I have no practical need for a phone that could obsolete my desktop computer? I don't intend to use my phone for general computing. At most, I might use it as an MP3 player, but a lot of dumbphones support microSD storage and audio playback.
>>
>>57525152
>Having a GPS, compass, calculator, music player, flashlight, camera, calendar, email, internet access, books, notepads and a myriad of other stuff in my pocket doesn't benefit me

Wow man, how did you manage to invent a time machine? Please tell us what your life was like in the 1700s!
>>
>>57525265
seen these people go on trips and it's fun to watch

>What's that?
>muh bags
>I thought you "traveled light"
>muh one device per function
>what's that?
>muh other muh bags
>For what?
>charger for car, charger for wall, usb charger, for per muh device
>What did you do before the trip?
>had to update muh gps or else the maps would be wrong. reupload all muh new music to mp3 player, go find shitty proprietary 2003 app and laptop I keep around just to put music on it, check batteries for everything

response will be "I don't go on business or personal trips because I'm a loser so I don't need any of your facebook phones"

other guy won't do this, but just stop trying to support this already, admit you are a luddite so we can stop having this thread
>>
>>57524144
People who prefer actual buttons to typing on a flat glass slab without tactile feedback.
>>
>>57525359
Vibration does the trick.
>>
>>57525383
Sorry, but I don't want to have an orgasm in public.
>>
>>57524270
Yeah but they're retardphones
>>
>>57525383
Vibrations do not provide bumps that let you basically type with your eyes shut. They let you know you have touched they keyboard, they offer zero feedback other than that.
>>
>>57524144
People who like paying less than $50 a year for their phone and plan.

I'm as wired as everyone on my laptop but paying for service is a chump play. Tosser phones and free WiFi are the order of the day. You stay as connected as everyone else but unlike them you aren't on the hook for expensive service.

The several grand I save goes towards worthwhile investments that aren't deprecated after six months.
>>
>>57525426
You can type with a phone physical keyboard with your eyes shut?
>>
>>57525389
>>57525426
>>57525359
damn just admit you're a hipster already. it will be much easier on all of us.
>>
>>57525445
>35 bucks a month for basic service
>expensive
>>
>>57525472
12x more than I pay. And you have to care about overage. lmao, people defend this? GOOGLE marketing pls go.
>>
>>57525445
Why not a smartphone and free wifi? That's what I do
>>
>>57524144
(You)
>>
>>57525510
Who said my phone doesn't get wifi?
>>
>>57525504
You still have to worry about coverage no matter what, even if you have a dumbphone. Show me your plan that is so fucking cheap.
>>
>>57525525
Nobody
>>
>>57525535
I said you had to worry about overage. Of course we all have to worry about coverage.
>>
I've got Verizon 4g in my laptop and no phone, what am I?
>>
>>57525559
I thought that was a typo. Anyways, I don't have to worry about overage. My plan was 35 bucks a month, I have no overage fees, no contract, and I'm free to use whatever GSM phone I wish.

Again, show me your plan that makes you pay about 2.9 bucks a month.
>>
>>57525236
smartphone plans are like $30+
>>
>>57525592
You buy a $35 prepaid phone with a coupon for bonus time, usually during the holidays, but also when they overstock. Lasts all year easy.
>>
>>57525472
But isn't that with data added in there? Even if you don't use data and use wifi instead you still have to pay for using data. You can't have a smart phone and not be forced into that. Hell I've even seen stories where people tried it but the phone company has a database of known smart phones and could detect and automatically switches the person to a data plan.
>>
>>57525610
Basically, you use a Tracfone or a similar service. No thanks.
>>
File: 1477433803707.png (198KB, 365x353px) Image search: [Google]
1477433803707.png
198KB, 365x353px
>>57524732
Who hurt you?

No seriously, you are so venomous over someone not using a smartphone.
>>
>>57525637
Das raciss.
>>
>>57525636
I do pay for 2.5 GB of data, but that's fine with me because I do use LTE semi often and the biggest thing I like is the unlimited text and calling.

I'd say that 35 a month is pretty good for what I'm getting.
>>
>>57525645
He's a mad shareholder.

Like that guy who said it was sad that people use 5 year old computers.
>>
>>57524497
I'm 30, but no shit sherlock
I don't even have a phone plan since gaytalk capped my data on the last month of a full year, for the entire month. (too much imagefap)
>>
>>57525471
Try having persistent arousal syndrome and use a smartphone. You'll be holding your box all day from the constant orgasms.
>>
>>57525682
>Mfw I get 20 GB of data and unlimited texts and calls for 32 bucks a month and I think that's expensive

Where the shit do you live? Zimbabwe?
>>
>>57524899
Why not just put a pay as you go sim in one? Unless you need a plan for some reason.
>>
>>57525947
Not him but check out this small sample of Canadian prices.
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile-plans#dtt-no-pulse
http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smartphone-plans?ipn=1
Click that no tab button for their cheaper prices.
>>
>privacy-conscious people like the Germans
>people who want to be able to call people, but want battery life (e.g. hitchhikers, hikers, people who just don't want to charge their damn phone every single day)
>people who want something durable, and easily replaceable (I'm not talking about clumsy people)
>>
>>57524196
I would like to buy one crack cocaine please.
>>
>>57526155
200 dollahs?
>>
>>57525236
You know you can get smartphones without a plan right? Or better yet, free plans from Freedompop or Ringplus.
>>
>>57524192
>>57524296
>>57524298
>>57525329
why does /g/ literally have no idea what a hipster or a luddite is? is it just paid shills or are there genuinely braindead bootlickers out there who think mindlessly consuming new technology solely because it's new is actually a healthy way of thinking?
>>
>>57527351
>are there genuinely braindead bootlickers out there who think mindlessly consuming new technology solely because it's new is actually a healthy way of thinking?
Take a look at the catalog. Half of the threads are nothing more than mindless consumerism.
>>
>>57524144
I have never ever bought a smartphone. The only reason I use one now is because I got one at work.

If I was in a market for a new phone, I can't say I'd choose a dumbphone over a """"smart""""phone because it is quite nice to be able to browse the net everywhere and use google maps to get yourself where you need to go. But I'm disappointed with smartphones. It's like they're made for morons. There is literally no smartphone on the market that doesn't scream "my owner is retarded". I particularly can't understand people who spend thousands on new flagship phones because they need the octacore processor with 4GB of RAM to browse facebook without stuttering. Even with that price tag, that shit will be junk material after 2 years max. Nothing really makes sense in the mobile market of today.
>>
>>57527512
That's why true power uses install a chroot gentoo
>>
Me soon. My second nokia e71 is gonna become obsolete after whatsapp stops supporting it after 31.12.16; using it for work-related calls and texts only. It's a glorified alarm clock. I recharge ~ 3 times per 2 weeks
>>
What does everyone think of Japanese smart phones though? The ones that combine using things like android with still having the form factor of a flip phone? Like this one for example? Though there is the issues of paying more for shipping and shit and having to make sure the damn thing works on your non japan cell network and possible language barriers but I think the site I got this pic from takes some of this into account.
>>
I have a dumb phone it is my second phone.

It is used for:

>My work phone - I don't want to give work my normal number
>My "I don't really want to give you a real number but I might need us to be in contact" phone
>My alarm since it never runs out of battery ever and is significantly louder and has better speakers and vibration than any smart phone
>a back up just in case

I could buy a cheap smart phone for this but then I'd have to think about the battery more.
>>
I leave my smartphone at home and bring an old flip phone with me when I am going to sketchy areas where I run a high risk of being robbed.
>>
What nokia is the grey one in the last row down there?
>>
>>57525398
you'd have to be a retard to choose a dumb phone over a windows phone. great job being a dumb 15 year old who doesn't even know what they're talking about. how does it feel not having a fully matured brain you fat piece of shit?
>>
The only reason I can see folks using dumbphones is because they are cheaper monthly than smartphones are. IE, one of the cheapest plans in my area, which is straight talk. is 30 dollars for basic service. 45 bucks for 5gb
>>
>>57524714
MORE CAN BE DONE WITH IT

what the fuck do you need to do on your phone, but can be DONE on a dumbphone?
>>
>>57529560
You can use any dumbphone plan with a smartphone.
>>
people who only need to call and text
people who actually can't afford a smartphone
>>
>>57529630
You can buy an unlocked smartphone off Amazon for $50.
>>
>>57529651
one that doesn't lag?
>>
File: pablo escobar.jpg (32KB, 294x310px) Image search: [Google]
pablo escobar.jpg
32KB, 294x310px
>>57526155
check your sat phone amigo
>>
I'd rather use my smartphone as an enhanced dumbphone

>Large screen so my eyes dont get strained
>Functional GPS
>Actually decent web browser
>Whatsapp/Facebook Messenger support, really useful for group chats and talking to people outside my country
>Decent camera
>Access to my bank account on the go

There's no real reason to pick a dumbphone over a smartphone, unless you're going to be unable to charge it for two weeks or you're afraid of being robbed/losing it on some party or travel.

The only thing I REALLY miss from dumbphones is the keypad/keyboard. I'm faster with smartphones, but it's not nearly as enjoyable. Which is why Blackberry Priv and Classic are on my sight
>>
File: 1.jpg (140KB, 500x857px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
140KB, 500x857px
wasnt there an interior design board on 4chan? wanted to change how my room looks and was looking for some inspo.
>>
>>57524189
>own a smartphone because I got one for free.

give it back tyrone
>>
>>57530407
>how do i chans
>>
>>57524144
poorfag outists who want to save up for a dedicated GPS
>>
>>57530487
retard alert
>>
>>57529183
>Japanese smart phones
You realize that no one actually buys these? Everyone in Japan has an iPhone.
>>
Anyone that doesn't have shit for brains. Kill yourself, fucktard.
>>
I would get one as a miniature computer without a plan (using wifi only) but:

A: Touchscreens bug the fuck out of me with how cumbersome and inaccurate they are. I'd rather deal with a fucking clitmouse over having to zoom, tap, wait for the shitty """responsive""" website to stop lagging and realize it thought I hit the wrong link, hit back and do it again so I can tap the CORRECT one, repeat ad infinitum.

B: I actually prefer resistive touch screens because using a nail is more accurate than my fingertip and more convenient than a special stylus, but those seem to have fallen out of favor with everything but dumbphones.

C: I prefer a physical thumb keyboard. Not a Bluetooth thing that makes a phone basically a shitty laptop, not one that clips to the phone like a Gameboy accessory throwback. One that I can pop out, type some stuff without it taking up screen space, and pop back in. Or permanently part of the phone.

D: Every piece of software on phones that I've encountered via messing with emulators and reading opinions has been crap. Laggy, buggy, simplified crap. Phones have horrible restrictions for interface design. Small screen + touch only = large tappable elements are your only option. This means you either have to add tons of nested pages, scrollable elements, or just make the whole app or site lacking in comprehensive functionality.

>>57529606
>You can use any dumbphone plan with a smartphone

Not in my area. It is not an option.
>>
keep annoyance away from enjoyance
>>
>>57524158
lol 155
>>
>>57529362
Triggered much?
>>
>>57524144
anyone 70+
>>
>putting a price on privacy and liberation from the 24/7 email/internet device hell
I really cannot do it. I had a smartphone by force for work at my last job. Could not be happier that chapter of my life is over. I now email check twice a day and have the dumb phone for *emergency* calls from work only. Family and friends know they need to dial me if it's important or send a brief text otherwise. Incredibly liberating.
>>
>>57525398
Nothing retarded about having a phone that performs more than a dumb phone and has replaceable battery
>>
what is a /g/ approved trap phone
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (20KB, 307x500px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
20KB, 307x500px
>>57533917
Samsung S150G ma nigga.
>>
>>57533325
Not an option? What the fuck are they going to do? Deactivate your sim card?
>>
>>57524144
People who want dumbphones.
>>
>>57533873
>my self control is so awful that I can't control myself from checking my email all day so that must mean smartphones are bad
>>
>>57534003
>required to check email all day because computer in my pocket
>"self-control"
Sorry marketing, you'll be needing a new meme.
>>
>>57534025
>work requires you to check your email
>blames smartphone
fucking retard
>>
>>57534063
>ditch smarphone
>work can't request I check something I don't have
Marketing you're not doing well tonight.
>>
>>57534121
>get fired for not doing job
>>
>>57534127
>the only way you can sell your phones is by mandating them
You're that bad huh?
>>
>>57534167
If part of your job is to be responsive to emails then that's what you need to do you fucking faggot. Enjoy your unemployment.
>>
>>57534174
Your only job is to sell phones to autists, and you best argument is "well you must have this or you lose your job." That's pathetic. I have a job and no smartphone so, wrong.
>>
>>57534194
You probably have a shit job then. But you're too retarded to know that you can just simply use a smartphone without even setting up email, so that's to be expected.
>>
>>57534174
>>57534167
>>57534127
>>57534121
>>57534063
>>57534025
>>57534003

Jesus you two, you're both pretty.
>>
>>57534202
>buy a smarphone goy
>don't use the primary function, just buy it
Fucking. Terrible. Marketing.
>>
>>57534251
The primary function of a smartphone is to be a full fledged computer that fits in your pocket. You can do much more with them than checking your emails. But you're too dumb to understand I guess.
>>
>>57534262
It's not a fully fledged computer though. That would be an x86 system with a physical keyboard. We call them "laptops."
>>
>>57534276
So you finally reveal yourself as an intel shill.
>>
File: 1429962971380.png (137KB, 301x312px) Image search: [Google]
1429962971380.png
137KB, 301x312px
>>57534194
>>57534202
>>57534251
>>57534262
>>57534276
>>57534282

Hoooooly fuck they're still going!
>>
I have a dumphone. It's nice to be able to fit your phone in your pocket. I use it for making telephone calls.

Admittedly the text function is awful compared to smart phones, but the battery lasts for days and if it gets stolen or lost i wouldn't be mad
>>
>>57534282
>not being an armcuck is shilling
Nope
Marketing pls
>>
>>57533952
>Not an option? What the fuck are they going to do? Deactivate your sim card?

Not let me sign up for a smartphone plan that doesn't include data. Meaning my cell bill will reflect the cost of data if I wish to have talk & text and only use wifi for the net-connectivity features.

I look around every year or so and so far have found no carriers that would allow me to use a smartphone and pay for only those services. Plenty allow it for dumbphones.

Even the cheapest options would increase my bill by about 15-20$ a month, which means I am wasting money I could use for:

Anywhere from 3 to more than 40 videogames
Gas
(with an extra year) half of a decent GPU on sale
several nice dinners out
a small nearby vacation
a couple good (read: expensive) books
a Model M keyboard or two
almost a low-end 3d printer
a fancy microwave
one of those good frying pans the TV chefs use
a fancy tyrone meme or two
decent security camera
invest it

The list goes on and explodes if you include multiple years. Why waste money on something I don't want or would never use, and that won't benefit me?
>>
>>57534673
>sign up for a plan
You buy a sim card from Wal-mart and activate it online.
>>
>>57534697
Unless I'm doing pay-as-you-go that won't work because of:
>>57525636
>the phone company has a database of known smart phones and could detect and automatically switches the person to a data plan

Thus the most economical option is to have 2 phones.

Except for the previous quibbles I have with how smart phones are horrendously annoying to use for me.
>>
>>57534907
Literally no company does that you fucking retard.
>>
>>57534375
I only got a smart phone because my carrier stopped selling quality feature phones. I wasn't about to pay MORE for a shitty feature phone than it cost for a basic smart phone.
>>
>>57524254
rakesh, you fucked up the grammar, try better next time
>>
>>57524144
i need something like this but with a hotspot functionalitt. any recommandos?
>>
File: 1384586813355.jpg (126KB, 517x517px) Image search: [Google]
1384586813355.jpg
126KB, 517x517px
>>57524290
>>
Am i the only one in /g/ who:
>Use a dumbphone as primary phone for phone and whatsapp (nokia 210)
>Use a SIM-les smartphone for facebook, browsing and mobile multimedia shits (asus zenfone 2)

Because i need to be always available to contact and the zenfone battery life is so shit it doesn't last a day, while the dumb nokia can last 4 days I n a single charge. I also heard whatsapp will discontinue support for nokia dumbphone later this year and it pisses me off as that means i need to move my simcard to the zenfone
>>
>>57535256
>Nokia asha s40
>Dumbphone

It can browse internet, facebook and even youtube. how the fuck it is a dumbphone??
>>
>>57524290
this
>>
>>57535256
I use a dumb phone because I travel a lot and it's nice only needing to charge it once a week and not worrying about it getting hacked the second I land in Russia.
>>
People who want a phone, not a pocket web browser/game console
>>
>>57532181
> returning stolen goods is retarded
>>
I'm using a dumbphone because:
>it is free with my cheap plan ($5 a month)
>it works everywhere in the world
>it doesn't bother me with anything trivial
>it has a battery that lasts for a solid week even after years of use
>it has survived all manner of physical abuse unscathed without any protector
>it is free of all internet related corporate marketing spyware
>it won't be stolen by anyone sane
>it does what the fuck a PHONE is supposed to do and does it well (great call quality)

At what point in human history did we collectively decide being online 24/7 was a good idea?
>>
>>57535336
Can't torrent in it, cant edit photo in it, can't render a video in it

>>57535363
>Implying the almighty russian hacker cant hack your dumbphone
>>
I use mine for instant win games and sweepstakes from our glorious helloworld, prizelogic, young america, brandmovers and the like
>>
>>57525446
Of course I can type texts without looking at the phone, there are only 9 button positions to memorise on an E-1.161 compliant keyboard (reads, pretty much every dumbphone with a keypad on the planet). I assume you are also incapable of touch typing?
>>
File: 1470521739820.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1470521739820.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>57524158
>yfw 200 posts later
>>
>>57524298
I'm just cheap

So jews?
>>
>>57524983
Self-amusement is degenerate. It's emotional masturbation.

Talk to someone for once, you nose-burying autsitic shitwit.

Smartphones are only good for on-the-spot research if you happen to be shopping, but not autistic enough to plan out your purchases extremely thoroughly beforehand, and jobs/ongoing business relations that require constant email contact

And even then, "dumb" phones that aren't actually dumb, just pre-ishit, work fine
>>
>>57524290
really gets your noggin going
>>
>>57524637
Jap phones are based productivity devices. They don't even use SMS anymore, they use email because it's more productive.

Western phones are entertainment and consumerism devices. Westerners use a variety of special snowflake messengers because brand loyalty is a major part of their culture.

The two biggest features for a japanese phone are TV/radio reception and web access (staying in touch and connected). They use physical keyboards because users create and share information.

The two biggest features for a western phone are digital music stores (copyright jewery) and video games (manchild garbage). They have flat touch screens, and information input plays second fiddle to playing around with the information you are given by your overlords.
>>
>>57537261
>entertainment is bad
>i hate fun
>i only have one sexual partner
>i don't listen to katy perry

anything else you want to tell us MRA meninist? any unsolicited opinions on israel?
>>
>>57524290
this, it's hightech vs lowlife now
>>
>>57525329
What a strawman. I bet you never even went on a trip you faggot.

Dumbphones also have calculators, alarm clocks, the very basic shit. They do just enough. Upgrading to a smartphone gives you games, some shit like fitness tracking, Facebook. The only objective benefits are internet to look up stuff, and email if you have a job that has you in demand.

I'd not for the above, maybe I'd even gave a dumbphone today. Take a look: you are not afraid to lose it. You know how you tap your pocket time and again to check if your phone is still there? A lot of people do. All their personal info is on that device. They're attached to it. I have a fried who was afraid to even let his phone get to 0% battery, for no reason at all.
People are irrationally attached to their phones, to the point when it's their second identity. It's sick.

You have to realise some people don't need all the cool features. They're not doing anything for 20 minutes in the bus. They can carry their shopping list on a small piece of paper. They can go about their day without updates from their Facebook friends. You should try that, it helps your psychology. You're disturbed, man
>>
>>57537307
>Implying monogamy is bad
that's better than 0 partners. Behold, your case
>>
File: :^).jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
:^).jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>57524144
The same people who still wear watches
>>
>>57524144
>ngage qd
>dumbphone
Nigga you must be an underb&. Nokia running symbian s60 is a smartphone. Dumdum
>>
I see people talking about how they can't get a smartphone without a plan and how expensive they are and stuff and I got a free smartphone(it's shitty, not my primary device but it's dual sim) with my 5 euro plan.
>>
>>57539513
In the US they we don't have plans as cheap as that and 2G is getting phased out too.
>>
>>57537462

Your phone battery is dead and now you understand why people wear a watch. All because you need your desktop in your pocket. I prefer a phone to last when I need to call or receive calls.

>>57524144

It's not a fashion statement. Purely functional.
>>
File: motorola-razr-v3i-gold.jpg (61KB, 407x406px) Image search: [Google]
motorola-razr-v3i-gold.jpg
61KB, 407x406px
RAZR was goat
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.