[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ I need some help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: python.png (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
python.png
80KB, 1000x1000px
I don't really know where else to post my story and ask for some advice, so I'm hoping someone can help me out:

I have dealt with medical issues since I was 19, I was in a wheel chair for a couple years. I am now 27 and have recovered from that almost 100%. I still have some physical limitations though, such as not being able to be on my feet for long periods. I completed two years of college during that time and graduated with my associates in network administration (I still feel like this was a huge waste of time). So I am looking at learning Python as a career option.

I have been studying Python for the last couple months and feel I have a basic understanding. I'm here to ask for any kind of advice on the direction I should take for future learning. Should I keep focusing on python or switch to something more marketable? I'm mostly just hoping to find something that can possibly land me some kind of work in the next year.

I appreciate any advice, thanks bros.
>>
>>57519963
Ruby
>>
>>57519963
The degree might be useless, but knowing about networking is actually really useful. If you can get to a point where you can route anything anywhere you want, you'll be a veritable goldmine for companies.
Python isn't as much of a "beginners" language as people think. Google uses the shit out of it (seriously, Gmail runs off it).
It might not be as prevalent as Java, perhaps, but it's still useful. (Plus you can script the shit out of working.)
Best languages to learn would probably be Java, C# (if you're going into Windows dev work), or something that is used quite commonly in the industry. (Best thing to do in your position is to Google the most used languages in the industry and base your learning off of it.)
Also, don't limit yourself to just programming (unless you absolutely love it. Then pick a language and become a guru).
There's still security that you can look into (metasploit, nmap, breaking into computers halfway around the world), networking (firewalls, packet routing, packet manipulation, etc), machine learning (but that one will probably require you to know a language pretty well), databases (administrating, designing, etc.)
Look around. There's a lot of things you can try picking up in your free time. (That will make yourself even more marketable in the long run.)
>>
>>57519963
Also, you can post on Reddit (here comes the ban hammer) if you want better advice than 4chan will give. (Dick faggot.)
>>
The language you want to learn depends on the field you want to work in.
The easiest way to get a job in the IT industry, is being a JavaScript developer. You can use it for front and back end web development.
C# is a nice language for back end development. So is Java.
Python is losing traction for web stuff, but gains traction on machine learning. There's a lot of money in that business.
There's also the embedded industry, but that requires some experience. C++ is mostly used there.
TL;DR start learning JavaScript. It's really easy and will get you a job for sure.
>>
>>57519963
Languages aren't your marketable skills--what you use the languages for is. In order to get a job writing python, you have to know who uses the language widely. It's mostly used for web development (django and flask, this is a downard trend) and scientific computing (upwards trend). Everyone else uses it as a convenient scripting language for automating certain processes.

>>57522412
Learn Javascript. You can take your networking knowledge and how HTTP works, etc. and branch off into developing web applications.
>>
>>57519963

Dude, network administration is a really great asset.

If you learn Python, take a look into stuff like Ansible or SaltStack, those are Admins tools wirtten in python. Pythson itself is pretty good for admins, bascially it was meant as replacement for Bash in the first place..

So you could go full SysAdmin and learn Linux administration (folder structure, how to ssh, users rights and so on...) and some security stuff.

Another career path would be web development, then you would go on with django and flask. Than JavaScript, HTML5, CSS3 and various libraries. But beware that there's a lot ot know here. SysAdmin is probably more comfy and more secure (job wise) once you're in.

What ever you do, get a GitHub (or similar repository) account and put wour work online. Your skills don't count if you can't document/prove them.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.