[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was this proprietary pile of shit even allowed to become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: UEFI.png (47KB, 887x1024px) Image search: [Google]
UEFI.png
47KB, 887x1024px
How was this proprietary pile of shit even allowed to become a standard? Can we stop it? Libreboot's usage seems exceedingly limited.
>>
>>57506471
>Can we stop it?
nope.
computers have gone to shit, you lost. suck it up, and enjoy your botnet shillshit.
>>
File: TO_THIS.png (739KB, 954x1400px) Image search: [Google]
TO_THIS.png
739KB, 954x1400px
>>57506555
I guess I'm buying myself and old Thinkpad, then.

Also, checked.
>>
Wasn't libreboot scuttled by the tranny?

Also to use it, you cannot go more recent than the thinkpad x200 IIRC.

I secretly hope that when ARM becomes the new standard thanks to muh mobile devices, a generation of open source hardware à la raspberry pi will emerge and become mainstream.
>>
>>57506471
>How was this proprietary pile of shit even allowed to become a standard?

Normies don't give a fuck about muh freedoms

>Can we stop it?

No, but we can keep buying computers that include BIOS as an alternative.
>>
>>57507247
>Implying that ARM won't become into another botnet.
>>
>>57507422
Yeah, that's likely...
But can it be worse than what Intel is doing right now?

>>57507413
I remember this anon saying that a black dude gets angry being called a nigger only because he is English literate. If normies were slightly tech literate they'd become nuts when realizing how were getting abused by tech companies practices and mass surveillance.
>>
coreboot+TianoCore
>>
>>57506471
i dunno shits bretty comfy compared to bios m8
>>
>>57507496
>If normies were slightly tech literate they'd become nuts when realizing how were getting abused by tech companies practices and mass surveillance.
no, during the NSA leaks people already decided that they would rather be comfortable at home than rioting in the streets.
>>
>>57510214
Most people simply don't care.

Or, if they do, what does it matter? They already tell Faceberg every time they take a shite anyway, so what does surveillance mean to them?
>>
>>57506471
Look at ARM SoCs. The alternative is not something better than UEFI, the alternative is nothing at all. Requiring either a custom kernel or a device tree file per board instead of just creating one image that works on a majority of chipsets.
>>
>>57507247
>ARM
>Open source
lolno. Even the raspberry pi has a fuckton of proprietary parts.
>>57506471
BIOS wasn't open either but at least UEFI is a purpose built solution that is agreed upon by a consortium and not just thrown together by happenstance. As for openboot and libreboot, there's a company that used to actively contribute to development but nobody bought their stuff so clearly not enough people care about it. As far as I know that company has now stopped contributing due to limited resources.
>>
>>57507247
>raspberry pi
>open
The raspberry pi couldn't be more proprietary.
>>
>>57510490
It definitely could, but this is /g/ were over exaggerated responses are common.
>>
>>57506471
I have nothing against UEFI. getting a valid license is extremely cheap
>>
>>57506471
>Libreboot quit the GNU project on 15 September 2016, in protest of discrimination against a transgender person at the Free Software Foundation. -- UPDATE: GNU refuses to let libreboot go, despite everything, in a further unjust act - Here are 5 reasons why your project should never join GNU.

kek

GNU is now sjw
>>
>>57510651
>Personal statement from Leah: RMS's comments about emacs virgins is especially offensive to me. Not only is it sexist in general (and directed at me, because I don't use emacs), but also offensive towards my sexuality. His statement implies that men are supposed to have sex with virgin women, and that women only lose their virginity to men. To this day, I've only ever been in lesbian relationships, although I am bi. I lost my virginity to a woman. I find it extremely insulting when someone assumes that I only like men, or that I'm generally interested in men. The woman that I lost my virginity to also happens to be a Vim user, and she is indeed an emacs virgin, like me.

No, LibreBoot is the SJW with no sense of humour.
>>
>>57508887
>ExitBootServices
no
>>
>>57507247
>ARM defactor standard
You don't want to go down this route. Heck even the supposedly open source lima driver project for mali 400 GPUs has proprietary build files.
>>
>>57510651
Can you read? I don't think you can.
>>
File: 1453048716590.png (320KB, 800x935px) Image search: [Google]
1453048716590.png
320KB, 800x935px
>>57506471
>Libreboot
>Not the original Coreboot
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.