[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Batteries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Can someone explain to me why there is no standardized rechargeable battery pack for lots of generic devices? Like a size for phones, one for laptops, etc, something like how batteries A-D work? I get that devices have difference requirements but it seems like its about the same as before microusb and many devices could be run on the standardized battery.
>>
>>57505326
different sizes mean different capacity/output
>>
>>57505722
Yeah so a couple standard laptop sizes, a couple smartphone/tablet sizes. I mean near everything could if they wanted to could run off AA batteries, they would just be bulky and look bad.
>>
NICD/NIMH cells require a rigid outer metal casing due to the nature of their chemistry.

LIPO/LION cells can be manufactured in just about any shape or size, so capacity/voltage can be scaled depending on the amount of room available.

Why would you want to restrict anything?
>>
>>57505883

AA batteries are limited to 1.5v nominal output, rechargeable AA cells, up until more recently, were capable of 1.2v output. To get higher voltage, you have to hook them up in series, which "combines" their voltage. For example, a 9 volt battery is actually made of 6 cylindrical cells connected in series ( 6 x 1.5 = 9 ).

A lithium-ion battery has a nominal voltage of 3.7v per cell. Modern electronic devices tend to require more voltage than, say, a TV remote or a gameboy.
>>
>>57505883
For phones, it's probably because many have their antenna inside the battery. This is an area that companies can differentiate from each other one, so they're not likely to start sharing proprietary information on that.
>>
>>57505968
Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the info, though I imagine you would lose only at max maybe 30 minutes charge by using a generic size rather than maximizing the battery to the case.

Because it would cut down on ewaste since when you decide to toss your laptop you could reuse your old ones battery, same with smartphones, and if it ever caught on you could cut the price of devices by not including batteries. Also replacement batteries would go from $100+ that they are now to near cost since there would be so many generics.
>>
>>57505326
The tennis, mountain bike, and roller blading grills wouldn't have those tanlines if they just did those activities in the nude.
>>
>>57506078

Oh, you sweet, sweet summer child. So pure, so innocent.

Bless you, may you never be able to see the world as it is.
>>
>>57506024
Yeah all the standard batteries would be li-ion since like you said they are better for modern electronics, I've just seen a couple hacks that have laptops running off large battery packs of AAs.

>>57506052
That's cool didn't know that, that would put a dent in the standardization.
>>
>>57506052
Usually only the NFC antenna, not any of the actual antennae that matter for the function of the phone. And NFC chips are cheap.
>>
>>57506163
Ha, ya this is pie in the sky stuff, probably wouldnt go exactly like that, also by the time there would be any standardization we'll already have whatever battery tech is next.
>>
OP meant an industry standard format like USB that makers have to design around if they wanted to use lithium-ion batteries not a battery that fits all current electronics.
>>
>>57506024
Stepping voltage up or down is trivial, I can get 5000 volts from an aaa battery.
Also most small consumer electronics require step those 3.7 volts down actually.
>>
>>57507367
1. This is a big problem, many manufacturers would hate having to do removable batteries, Apple alone would have a fit for both phones and laptops.
2. That is a consumer problem, just like when your micro usb charger goes bad you just buy a new generic one.
3. Wouldn't the standardization fix this? Of course there would be lots of sub-standard Chinese ones that don't follow the specs, but those already exist just search for a popular phone battery replacement on Amazon and you will get lots that probably would explode.
4. It would have to be like when the EU required phones to use micro-usb rather than their proprietary cable, require all electronics to allow the use of one of the standard batteries.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.