[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I go to college for ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: o-BUSINESS-TECHNOLOGY-facebook.jpg (489KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-BUSINESS-TECHNOLOGY-facebook.jpg
489KB, 2000x1000px
>IT
>Cyber security
Or
>Computer science
>>
Engineering if you want a job.
Just get certified instead. Security+ is a good place to start.
>>
>>57504689
Electrical or computer engineering
>>
File: 1462517748804.jpg (116KB, 469x469px) Image search: [Google]
1462517748804.jpg
116KB, 469x469px
>tfw fell for the CE meme
>>
>>57505073
What's so bad about CE?
>>
>>57504689

Do you have connections in the business world? If not, stay away from IT. Cyber security or CE is your best bet if you can't rely on nepotism
>>
Definitely not IT is all I can say.

Information Systems is good of you're not too autistic for management.
>>
>>57504689
Cyber Security/IT may be more employable

Computer science allows for branching out
>>
Security is a part of IT you fucking mongoloid

IT people will tell you that their industry is fucked with pajeets and you need to go with development, development people will you THEIR industry is fucked with pajeets and you need to do IT. So, your call there.
>>
Women studies.
>>
There's no future in the software industry (Software Engineers/Developers).

1) Software Development is no longer a viable or good career for the long term future. The salary pay and job security are free-falling downwards, and competition is spiking sky-high.

2) The competition for the available job software positions is INSANE. There is such an enormous amount of supply of software devs compared to the demand for them. Think about it:

3) You have your fellow college graduates all wanting the same job as you. Go into any freshmen college CS class. The classroom is filled jam packed that students even have to stand outside to listen to lecture.

4) Companies will hire Indians instead of you so they can pay them dirt cheap. This has two main effects: it will get more difficult for you to get hired/you'll get laid off, AND your salary pay will decrease.
More competition equals more choices for employers and ultimately worse for you. Think about it, employers receive hundreds of resumes. They can pick and choose the top and give them low salary offers. The first choice doesn't accept because the pay is too low? Okay, on to the second. Etc etc. Eventually, you'll be lucky to even receive an offer of a "low" (will then be considered normal) salary pay.

5) Companies will outsource the software work to other countries. The work will be sent offshores and continue to lower salary wages at home and increase the already fierce competition.

6) Hiring Indians will decrease the quality of the code. Upper management DO NOT care about whether the code is well-maintained or the long-term effects. All they know is: Indians can do it cheaper, and as long as the code "works". That's where the few remaining competent software developers come in. They are "lucky" to even have a job, but must work many times harder to fix up/redo the code from the incompetent cheap hires, as well as work for lower pay.
>>
7) Think about who is majoring in CS and why they choose to major in CS. It's mostly kids that play video games all day and then think "well, programming is kind of like gaming, so I'll choose CS as my major". Also the "I heard CS gives good pay, easy to find a job, and is easy work, so I'll choose to major in CS". These are the types of "people" that are entering CS major in college and these are the types that will be entering the workforce. They don't care about programming, they just play games and/or want a high-paying easy job.
Why are these kids able to graduate even though they don't care about the major? Because schools are dumbing down CS (other majors as well, but let's just talk about CS). Schools are a business, that's a fact. They know everyone practically "needs" to go to college, so they increase tuition, etc. They can do this by dumbing down programs and increasing the amount of students they take in. Therefore, even the most unpassionate and uncaring kid can graduate with a CS degree.

8) Think about what happens once you reach age 40+. Why should companies continue to keep you when they can hire one of these kids? These fresh college graduate kids learn faster, can be much paid less, and already know the latest greatest fad programming language. You'll get laid off and replaced with one of these kids once you get old enough. That is, if you didn't already get laid off from an Indian or outsource.

9) Software Development used to be a good industry to join in, back decades ago before it became a fad. It has been going downhill ever since and is continuing to spiral downwards.
>>
10) I am in the industry so I can tell you this from experience. I absolutely GUARANTEE you: ask anyone in the software industry working for at least a medium or big sized company what is the percentage of Indians working there. It is at least 50%, and growing.

There's no future in the software industry. It was a great career decades ago, but now it's a declining job that's spiraling downwards. To those in college right now or thinking of majoring in CS: I highly suggest you pick a better major if you consider your future.
>>
I am currently a network operator in the military and they sent me to a security+ class.

since then I have chosen to go with cyber security and have already been working towards a degree in it.

seems like the most stable compared to the others. you will know the same IT stuff but then how to secure it. there will always be threats and security breaches to prevent.
>>
>>57505803
Guy without a degree spotted
>>
>>57505949
>I am currently a network operator in the military and they sent me to a security+ class.

If you're anything like the Army's 25B, you're an entry level IT support dude. Your job is to do extremely basic level admin work and send broken shit up to NEC while everyone in the battalion complains about how slow NEC is at fixing shit.

Change your job when possible, the actual cyber security rates are not entry level. And dont' listen to fagballs above you, cyber security is a huge and growing field. 17C is the new cyber operations field, if you can get into that you'll get a fuckton of cyber training that civilians can't easily get.
>>
>>57504689
ITT tech
>>
>>57506009

No I am a 25N so the 25B would send shit up to me while he usually works at the help desk. I am an actual network operator. Just last week I had less than 6 hours to configure an entire router. It was actual hell. The back ups were not working. We were on mission. Never again!
>>
>>57506139
Oh god you fuckers. Yeah no you could not pay me enough to do that job. Generation after generation of people who don't care and didn't listen configuring equipment they've never used under the direction of NCOs who never took a single additional networking class after AIT...

Sounds like a nightmare. I'd still change MOS asap. Or just do it in the civilian world where you work half the hours and get paid 4 times as much.
>>
>>57506174

That is exactly why I am working towards my degree using the Army tuition assistance. That way I don't dip into the GI Bill and can use that for my masters degree. I cannot wait until I finish my degree and get the fuck out. Just like you said. The NCOs over me are the dumbest fucks I have ever met. I literally have to yell at them at this point and there's not much they can do because I ended up learning my job.
>>
for crippling student debt. it's the only thing keeping our economy afloat.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.