[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been given the job of making our Android app work after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Android_VK-1024x768.png (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Android_VK-1024x768.png
114KB, 1024x768px
I've been given the job of making our Android app work after it was botched by outsourced devs in the third world.

It's a fairly simple app, and I have some experience in Java, but little/none in Android.

I'm planning to add tests to it as I fix bugs as there are currently none.

Is there a good way to go about this? Or a recommended test framework to use? I'm not going to be adding any features for a long time. Just refactoring/bug fixing. I just want to make sure I don't break anything (we have a lot of users who depend on this app for their jobs).

I have downloaded a copy of Working Effectively With Legacy Code, which seems to be well regarded.
>>
Read it, fix stuff, use git in case you fuck up. How is this difficult?
>>
I'm using git of course. It's the worry of releasing it and breaking something in production seeing as there's no tests.

I don't understand the codebase and it's a fucking mess, spaghetti code. I need to add tests to make sure I don't knock anything out. I don't know how to do this.

Where to even start??
>>
>>57499532
>I don't know how to do this
Why the fuck were you given the job? Mismanagement? You should at least be hitting this shit in a team if you've no experience of wading knee-deep in somebody elses shit. Curry scented shit at that.

You'll have to start the arduous process of refactoring and working tests into it, try not to hang yourself in the process. Or do, it'll be less painful.
>>
>>57499641
I volunteered. I think the writing is on the wall for our org so I might as well level up my skills while I can in a relatively pressure-free environment.
>>
When you create an Android project from scratch with Android Studio it sets up basic tests for you, if you want to check how it's done. JUnit is used for unit tests and Espresso for automating UI tests.
>>
>>57500219
Thanks, man. That's the kind of thing I was after.

Is Appium no good for UI tests? When I've been looking, it keeps popping up, and using Selenium, which I'm familiar with from my Java days.
>>
>>57500253
Never heard of Appium. Having tried both, I feel Selenium is not integrated as good as Espresso, which is also easier in my opinion.
>>
Great. I'll take a look as Espresso now.

Thanks for the pointers!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.