[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Tor Is it really safe? Is it even worth getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: tor.png (27KB, 774x774px) Image search: [Google]
tor.png
27KB, 774x774px
Tell me about Tor

Is it really safe? Is it even worth getting if I am not an activist, a journalist, someone that does illegal business of some kind, or any kind of non-white person?

Also, what is the best Password Management service?
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
its good for watching youtube
>>
See for yourself >>57475358
>>
It's slow. But if you can use it that would be good, even if you're not a journalist.
Having normal traffic together with sensitive stuff help the people who use it for sensitive stuff from surveillance.
>>
>>57489480
But is it worth it for the slow performance? I don't do anything illegal besides torrenting copyrighted material but due to the new US President I want to remain safe just in case
>>
>>57489591
Torrenting won't work
>>
>>57489712
Isn't Tor just a browser? Does it somehow block torrent traffic?
>>
>>57489979
No. But you'll break your anonymity if you torrent and you'll place too much of a strain in the network, which is bad for everyone using tor.
>>
>>57489591

It's worth it if you don't want ISPs getting your personal info and Internet history and selling it on LexisNexis and other profiling websites.
>>
>>57489591
>>57490827

and if you're in the UK, take a look at the nice friendly snooper's charter/IPBill the tories have managed to slip through the houses while everyone was distracted by brexit arguments.

Basically, ISPs have to collect and keep a cycling 12 month record of ALL your communication and internet data, to be dished out to whoever asks for it with a warrant.
Another major fail by our party representatives, but hey, it's 'to keep us safe'.
>>
>>57487900
It's safe. Just don't enable anything that can trace your activity. Also use umatrix for extra precautions. Disable Java, block cookies, anything that can trace you. Tor is not a backdoor without the script no one can see what you are. Use tor (experimental) feature.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 250x198px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 250x198px
>>57487900
Also, be very careful when displaying images. It's not always a good idea to have an image display cause some can be hardcoded as a virus or anything. This pic describes it.
>>
>>57488025
HE POSTED IT AGAIN LOLOLOL XDDDD
>>
You wouldn't really stay safe since NSA owns the majority of the exit nodes, making it possible to trace your activity back to you. At least use a VPN along with Tor.
>>
>>57496668
>making it possible to trace your activity back to you.
The majority of exit nodes aren't even in the US or us friendly countries.
Secondly, they need to own 90% of the exit nodes to have a more than 25% chance of deanonymising a specific individual.

>At least use a VPN along with Tor.
This would actually decrease your security since you're tunneling all your traffic through a completely controlled NSA entity. You think exit nodes are controlled but not fucking VPNs? Jesus christ. Why do you think VPNs have NSA backdoors anon?

One way to reliably reduce the security of tor is to pair it with a VPN like a fucking moron.
>>
>>57487900
I'll put it to you this way. Tor sites are taken down with regularity and also found out to be FBI honeypots.

i2p on the other hand i've never heard of one single site being taken down yet.
>>
Tor is comprised.
>>
>>57489591
>but due to the new US President
kys yourself
>>
Most of the websites are compromised. Never use tor on Windows and with scripts enabled (s is enabled by default)
>>
>>57499486
So I shouldn't even bother with Windows 7?
>>
Tor is fairly safe. The website has an awful lot of information about the various caveats. (1024-bit keys used in .onion sites currently are troublesome and need to be replaced with ed/x25519 - that is in development.)

What's on the other end of Tor, not necessarily - but that's true of everything else on the web, too.

The Tor Browser Bundle has been targeted for a few 0days. They're trying to make that significantly harder but there's a lot more work to do.

TAILS is a hard target to hack.

All the sites you know of on Tor which got busted, were popped by either HUMINT, SQL injection on the endpoint, or then pivoting from existing access on the same hardware (Freedom Hosting, because of NSA TAO hacking Tormail looking for Snowden).

Don't torrent over Tor; neither Tor nor the Bittorrent protocol are suitable for that.

Avoid http: sites over Tor, and if you get certificate errors, treat them seriously. The project does look (automatically) for exits which pull fast ones and remove them from the consensus, but that isn't instant.

Don't be the only person using Tor. Please use Tor for some regular stuff too (although Cloudflare makes that a bit hard, they've promised to help massively reduce CAPTCHA encounters with blinded tokens). This is why we were very happy about all the people visiting Facebook, or YouTube, over Tor.

Neither onion routing nor garlic routing is able to protect against a global passive attacker. FVEY isn't quite global. We are looking into next-generation hybrid mixnets, but due to increased latency considerations with more advanced designs there will be a tradeoff and either things will be slower, or we'll need to rearchitect how we use it rather than just using it as a tunnel.

>>57492535
Hardly distracted. IPB has been strongly argued against - but it was on their platform when elected, and in the Queen's Speech, so while it is disappointing it is extremely likely to pass at this stage.

However, what you're talking about was DRIP.
>>
>>57493759
The pic describes a hard coded virus? Could you explain a little more?
>>
Only on Solus
>>
>>57489979
Tor runs as a localhost SOCKS proxy that forwards TCP; the Tor Browser Bundle uses that.

However for a variety of reasons, including the Bittorrent protocol (like many p2p protocols) including your private IP addresses for node discovery, it is extremely pointless to attempt to tunnel torrent traffic through Tor.

Tor also can't proxy UDP, although I2P can.

>>57497085
The thing about anonymous networks is that anyone, including law enforcement, can use them too.

They are therefore uniquely well-suited to undercover infiltration, which the FBI and DEA have used to great effect.

Tor is a great tool. It is not a panacea, and it does not diminish your needs (whatever your needs actually are) for operational security - indeed, it puts more emphasis on that.

If your OPSEC is also good, however, Tor is nigh-impregnable at this time, and extremely difficult to deanonymise. Even bulk analysis only gives a few probable circuits and you don't get to choose who those are.

>>57496668
That is not true. NSA have never to my knowledge run a Tor node. GCHQ have had a few relay nodes in the past, because they ran them during the REMATION II conference, but the project is pretty careful about examining new exit nodes that pop up on the network now.
>>
tfw tor on w10
>>
>>57488025
Install Whonixx.
>>
All this is going way over my head

I want to know if tor is worth it and wont force to jump through hoops in order to still do all the things I normally do on the internet; such as torrenting, shitposting on 4chan, watching videos and using Steam to buy and play games
>>
>>57499678
This pic contacts CIA. It was posted on /b/ like 2 weeks or 1 week ago. Back in 5 years, the CIA would put this image if download illegal material. (Which obviously mean) cheese pizza. Some anon mention something among those lines if I'm correct.
>>
>>57488595

paedophiles allowing javascript or running hot8yearold.jpg.exe isn't the same as asking if the tor protocol is safe you mong
>>
>>57496668

Hidden services don't transverse exit nodes. Nobody should be using Tor for non-hidden services for that to be an issue to begin with.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.