[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cable management and cleaning up dust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: dusty-pc-tower.jpg (110KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
dusty-pc-tower.jpg
110KB, 960x720px
I've been getting some random black screens for some time now and decided to clean my case thoroughly.
I have been vacuuming my case like once 2 weeks but after a closer inspection of the insides with a flashlight - holy crap. I vacuumed most of the insides now, but still got somewhere near half a centimeter of dust on/in the graphics card and other components are also still dusty.

What's the best way to get rid of it? Compressed air?
I also need to do some cable management, the shop i bought my parts at put it together and the cable management is so crappy i cringe everytime i get to see the insides of my computer. Any tips?

pic somehow related
>>
>>57486843
VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>57486843
Cable management and airflow is a giant meme to sell you pretty cables and cable ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCMMf-_ASE

Does it look cool? Yes
Does it help keep your PC cool? No

Dust is what matters but as long as you clean that shit out of your heatsinks you're golden.
>>
>>57487407
>Does it look cool? Yes
>Does it help keep your PC cool? No
>Dust is what matters but as long as you clean that shit out of your heatsinks you're golden.

currently (the way they put it together at the shop) i have loose cables all over the case (including cables touching the mobo, graphics card and radiator)
i don't give a shit about it looking cool as i keep my case closed pretty much always, but having shitloads of loose cables and dust on top of that is surely not so optimal and might cause a fire someday.

also, im pretty sure the blackscreens im getting (all audio stops, black monitor 'monitor going to sleep' but pc still running) is because the cables/dust on my graphics
>>
>>57488075
Then clean it out.

Are you using a displayport cable? Because 99% of them are shitty chinkmade and cause issues with GPUs
>>
File: cringe.jpg (731KB, 2320x1740px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
731KB, 2320x1740px
>>57488127
>Are you using a displayport cable? Because 99% of them are shitty chinkmade and cause issues with GPUs
Im using the HDMI cable that came with the HP display im using.

>Then clean it out.
Im gonna buy compressed air on monday, but i have no idea where to start with the cables. Any tips?
>pic related, insides of my case
>>
>>57488382
>any tips

Get some aftermarket cables if it bothers you that much. Make sure you don't have negative or positive air pressure putting dust into your system
>>
>>57487407
As someone who uses radiators
Airflow matters

If your gpu is dumping heat into your case
Airflow matters

If you have a window in the side of your case
Cable management matters
>>
>>57486843
>vacuuming my case like once 2 weeks
that might be why it's black screening, vacuums create static.
>>
>>57488544
When im not cleaning it i get temperatures around 70C+ and like 1-3 black screens a day.
Since i started vacuuming it semi frequently the temperatures manage to be aroung 50-65C and the black screens stopped.
They started again about 2 months ago like maybe once a week or two, and after it happened again today i figured it's about time to do some serious cleaning instead of vacuuming once in a while (i have that pc for like 3 years now).
And after i looked on the underside of the graphic card, all fans are clogged with thick, hard brownish dust. Couldn't even properly poke through it with a q tip

So im not really sure if it's because of the vacuuming or dust.
>>
>>57488762
Why not just get a new card you're running a 7870 you might as well have no GPU, those housefires aren't meant to last more than a year or two max
>>
>>57488762
or you could get some fucking dust filters and clean your room, you tard
>>
>>57488773
I can run witcher smoothly and overwatch is on 60fps, so it's enough for now.
But im getting a 5k bonus in february, which goes straight into a new pc.

>>57488783
I got dust filters and i clean my room once a week or two when i don't have the time. The fact that im smoking isn't probably helping
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.