[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Back in 2005-2008 there were rumors that the army was using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

> Back in 2005-2008 there were rumors that the army was using ps3 to farm muh specs
> Asking myself why nobody does that to newer consoles to amp up their computer, people are breaking through consoles to get their internal sys but never intented to use this as an additionnal proc. , a graphic card and some memory

Could somebody remind me why ? Are they impossible to link together and get some of its power as a ressource
While I do agree that it would be too complicated to do when you can get a better computer itself, the idea seems unexplored to me.

> Implying PC can't top the consoles
Not really my intention but I do sound like I'm underestimating the PC, I'm not. I don't care about the PC vs Console, it's not the point of the thread plz
>>
>>57483221
Any connection would be too slow first of all
The processor is half as fast as a first-gen Intel CPU
Playstations don't have graphics cards
Console memory is generally last-gen protocol with normal to substandard speeds
Coprocessors already exist and are already obselete
You can always add more ram or GPUS
>>
>>57483480
Got everything but the first point, what does that mean connection too slow ?
>>
>>57483221
So what you're really asking is can you hook two computers up to make a better computer. The answer is no, not without some kind of extremely high-speed connection (and if we're talking about coprocessing, any cable is out of the question) extreme software and an OS that could accommodate that
>>
>>57483504
PS3s have USB 2.0
You gonna run an entire computers worth of data through that?
>>
>>57483510
Well I was not seeing this as two computers together to make a better one, it's more like jailbreaking the os of the console to make a mere system to add up on the PC. (whereas two computer just function on their own and could be separated and still work)
The idea would be ruining the gaming function of a console to make every performance into the computer.

But I do see that a few things get in the way of that idea. >>57483480 >>57483521
>>
>>57483546
You have it wrong
Even if the PS3 was just hardware with 100% compatible data and a faster-than-light cable that supported actual processor-level data, any normal PC OS wouldn't allow you to "just add it up" on any system
>>
The army and some labs used the PS3 for farmed computing specifically because of its research and heavy calculation adequate CPU, the Cell Broadband Engine.
For games, the Cell BE was shit, as it used a weird version of the POWER architecture that Sony Computer couldn't be assed to document for, so unless you had god-tier programmers like Naughty Dog you'd get shit performance.
Newer consoles don't really have that much of a beneficial addition for processing. They're basically PCs with underclocked GPUs.
>>
I did this and confirm it works
Posted from 38 sega dreamcasts in SLI
>>
I don't know about farming PS3s but one day we were gathered to play Arma and it was funny as fuck. Old fucking warrant officers trying to tell us what to do, instead we fucking killed eachother and generally fucked around.
>>
>>57483583
kek well at least got myself a golden post in my stupid thread reminding me of my ignorance toward /g/
>>
>>57483221
Hey, vsauce
>>
alternatively, get the legacy PS3 firmware and install Gentoo
If you installed Gentoo on your PS3 back when they let you, Sony will pay you $57 now in reparations for enslaving you
>>
>>57483221
They were not using the PS3 itself, but it's alien processor, the Cell.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.