[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MSI Compatability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Hey pals, I'm trying to up my ram from some shitty 1333 4gb sticks to a set of 2x16GB sticks on a z97 PC Mate MSI (DDR3).

I looked up some compatible ram and ended up grabbing some Ballistix Sport 1600 2x8GB, and it ended up literally just not working in my motherboard. I had manually set the BIOS settings off auto and manually assigned the RAM clockspeed to 1600 and the voltage to 1.5v (whatever the correct voltage was) and couldn't get to POST.
I cleared my CMOS, took my CMOS battery out for a minute or so, and a whole bunch of fun shit but POST was unreachable with the Ballistix sticks. In the end I had to return my RAM to Amazon because I just assumed it was faulty at that point.

I've also heard that MSI boards have compatibility issues with a lot of specific RAM stick models. So I have a request /g/ -

What 16GB (2x8GB) RAM Kit do I get for my z97 PC Mate MSI Motherboard that will actually work? I overclock so I'm not afraid to go past the 1600 side of ram, but I heard the memory stability drops dramatically after you get past 2133.

z97 PC Mate MSI ( https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-PC-MATE.html#hero-specification )
CPU - 4690k overclocked to 4.4
GTX 970 4GB
Samsung 512 SSD
1000w PSU
>>
I realized i fucked up in my first sentence, let me clarify i need a 2x8GB kit, so 16GB total. Budget is $115 and lower
>>
>>57469315
>I'm trying to up my ram from some shitty 1333 4gb sticks
>ended up grabbing some Ballistix Sport 1600 2x8GB

look for some old 1333 2x8gb one ?
>>
>>57469366
I'm looking for atleast 1600 writing speeds though. I can tank my FPS at times because my RAM cant compete with the rest of my computer sometimes.
>>
>>57469306
If your 1333mhz set of ram was enough size wise, just stick with it. There is SOOOO little gain in faster ram speeds.

I once tested a 2400mhz kit on 1333mhz and the differance was 1 (one) fps in bf4. Thats with over 1ghz differance in ram speed.

Dont waste your money, friend :)

But if you absolutely must have faster ram, check the supported ram list on your msi board and just buy the cheapest one.

You could also try to overclock your current ram.
>>
>>57469382
>>57470517

regarding your fps drops, this could be the gtx 970 if the vram goes over 3.5gb.. or if the temps are 80+ it will throttle quite bad.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.