[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The World had spoken, pc and x64 GTFO, welcome arm and android

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: pc.png (63KB, 1612x498px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
63KB, 1612x498px
The World had spoken, pc and x64 GTFO, welcome arm and android . There is literally nothing that normy can't do on smartphones.
So what can we do improve them in the spirit of FLOSS or make them less shity?
>ubuntu mobile
>simple botnet free AOSP roms
>trusted easy to use method and market for roms
it's harder becouse, every one almost is complied with dumb features or producer close source on drivers.
>free opensource api that replace that botnet one for aplication, i can't find the link. But almost every app uses google api (including signal). and there are some alternatives.
>simple opensource friendly encryption
>pushing hard opensource app on markets like f-droid

Pc are ancient we should accept that and go mobile first, there in this year 15 times new more smartphones the pc.
>>
>>57469305
In case nobody suggested you today to kill yourself, I'll be the first.
>>
>>57469305
>PC market is saturated with "good enough" devices from the past half decade
>Phones require replacements every two years and is still a relatively new market
>Hurr durr PCs are dead
No, they're not. It doesn't help that phones are still incredibly weak with regards to computational abilities.
>>
>>57469392

This.

Just look at all the people on /g/ happily using Core2duo Thinkpads. Decade old machines are still perfectly suitable for daily tasks.

The rampant consumerism on phones will die down too now that a 2 year old phone will still do everything you expect a smartphone to do without being a piece of shit.
>>
>>57469495
>The rampant consumerism on phones will die down too now
It probably won't. Quick charge technologies will kill the batteries within two years and constant software "upgrades" will slow everything right down, whereas Microsoft has actually been making a conscious effort to make windows lighter with every generation because they want the tablet market.
>>
>>57469305
Yes. Pump out billions of shitty processors that get tossed in the bin within 12 months half the time.
>>
>>57469495
This is a good prediction imo. Phones have now reached a level where you are not begging for a new phone every single year because yours has slowed to a crawl. Rather, its just more for the shiny new additions, just like laptops.
Seriously, how can you complain when your phone has 4gb+ of fucking ram, ludicrous flash memory speeds and greatly overpowered processors for the tasks they are supposes to handle.

One issue is as >>57469533 says: batteries.
They are seemingly shit and have far to go. This fucking pumping 25W into your phone so you can hurry up and go meet your friends because you're too retarded to charge your phone in a conventional cycle is getting long in the tooth. No way such charging is doing batteries any good, although sony has tried to address peoples bad habits with fast charging using Qnovo or whatever it is.
Still, batteries, lack of expandable or replacement parts and peoples desire for new shiny things will keep the smartphone market as it is.
Desktops are more flexible, its obvious less people buy a full tower every year. And those who do care will clean their pc and make the most of it because not many do more than text editing and powerpoints.
>>
>>57469533
>conscious effort to make windows lighter
and failing miserably
>>
>>57470532
don't even try to use 8.1/windows 10 on chery trail tablet. I bought one for 100usd and it's fucking unusable
>>
>>57469305
>x64
>>
>>57470561
Try using windows 7 on the same device. Microsoft have actually made progress.
>>57470532
I said lightER, not light. Windows will never be light but windows 8 and beyond have been steps in the right direction compared to the previous trends.
>>
>>57470987
>suggesting that it is faster then XP
>>
>>57471039
Probably is in quite a few metrics, yes. The way windows handles basic display tasks has changed quite a bit since then, among other things. Remember pic related? No longer possible.

There's also the usual collection of prefetch improvements, an OS that actually knows how to handle flash storage and so on and so forth.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.