[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows Server 2016 has no option for installing with a gui

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

You can activate it afterwards, but windows wants to be hardcore and deliver command prompt only as a standard.

I installed an eval version and it takes up 384 MB of Ram after installation.

How do you like that /g/?

>inb4 no one uses windoos servurs hurr durr
>>
>How do you like that /g/?

I guess it's fine, however linux shells are stil superior.
>>
>>57468874
But...but...it has ubuntu bash or something like that.
>>
>>57468910
I don't see unixoid sysadmins jumping ship just because of that
>>
>>57468874
>Running the early technical preview without the GUI installer
>>
File: 1439960386518.png (950KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1439960386518.png
950KB, 1024x768px
>>57468874
>384 MB of Ram after installation.
on what?
>>
>>57468874
>I installed an eval version and it takes up 384 MB of Ram after installation.

gahnoo+loonix with a full featured XFCE desktop alongside with various services (samba, cups, mpd etc) take less m'lord.
>>
>>57469132
They also offer less, so that's not comparable.

There wasn't a minimal option before, I think it's a good start.
>>
>>57469230
It does not offer less. Linux offer more right out of the box which is why Linux is by far the most popular for server use.
>>
>>57468874
A command prompt only environment still needs to load the after login interface? That is the cmd appears as a window or like a recovery console?
>>
>>57469230
>offer less
You're either stoned off your tits or being willfully stupid. Which is it?
>>
>>57469108
Nice chicks.
>>
>>57468874
>20 years and window manager is still implemented in kernel
D-d-dropped.
>>
Well, Windows Servers are good in enterprise environments with other windows computers. I would recommend using WIndows Servers as either: domain controllers, TFTP or SMTP with RDP.
>>
>>57470432
> in kernel
Not really. Graphics is loaded by Win32k.sys, which isn't the part of ntkrnl, but it still loads because they chose not to rewrite that part. I'm sure it's possible to not load GUI at all if they rewrite smss.exe.
>>
>>57469781
>Linux offer more right out of the box which is why Linux is by far the most popular for server use.
Don't make me giggle. Linux is shit when you have windows systems to manage.

It's good for databases, webservers, management controller software, that's what I use it for, but everything else like application servers for 90% of enterprise used software it is not capable.

>>57470432
You do realize that people expect exactly that kernel for a shitton of software, they wouldn't recode everything to work on a command line only system.

Besides that it is completely irrelevant how the server looks, if it's in window or not, because the only thing you ever do there is configure the ip, join the domain and then everything is done remotely with windows 10 onboard tools.
>>
>>57470705
> application servers
You mean ASP.NET garbage?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.