[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I bother?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: fmsu.png (146KB, 590x391px) Image search: [Google]
fmsu.png
146KB, 590x391px
Sup /g/entooman, just restored my laptop (W8.1 w/ classic shell). Should I bother with Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware software? Which one/combination is the best.
Should I bother with the free version of Malwarebytes, or is it useless if I have a full out AV installed?

>inb4 install gentoo
>inb4 CommonSense
>>
tfw my lifetime subscription stopped working
>>
well, id say the paid version of malware bytes is worth it, provided you mix it with their anti-exploit program
>>
>>57452516
lifetime of the product ;)
>>
>>57452516
The reason I ask is because I saw a link for a "Lifetime transferable" license for Malwarebytes, so I was debating if it was worth it or not.

I know my dad has am un-used key of Norton Anti-Virus? Would any of you more experienced folks be able to give some advice here. Do you think it would be beneficial for me to install the Norton on my machine?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
>>
8.1 comes with Windows Defender doesn't it? Keep it updated and set regular scheduled scans.

If you get some extremely mild adware infection, use Defender in conjunction with Malware Bytes to get rid of it.

If you get anything more severe, my standard policy is to tell clients that the safest strategy is to rollback to a known safe backup or format the install if rolling back isn't an option. Modern malware can be extremely resilient and it's hard to trust a system once it's had an infection, even if you think you thoroughly cleaned it out.

As a general rule, the most dangerous malware is not going to be caught by any AV solution. Everything else you can avoid pretty easily with good internet practices, an adblocker, patched browser, etc.
>>
>>57452490
Get the free MB but don't let it run on the background. Scan your laptop weekly or monthly, depends on how much shit you download.
>>
>>57453028
Great info anon, thank you.

When you say:
>If you get some extremely mild adware infection, use Defender in conjunction with Malware Bytes to get rid of it.

Are you implying I should only download Malware Bytes and run it once to get try and get rid of the problem? I've never used Malware Bytes before, so I am not aware if it is something that is always running in the background, or if it is simply something that I can install to run whenever I think I may need it.

Also, in your experience, which is the best way to rollback to a safe backup? Should I be using manually created "Restore Points", or should I be creating a System Image to an external HDD and boot from that instead?
>>
>>57453076

I should have been clearer, I meant run a Malwarebytes scan. You don't (and shouldn't when you already have Defender) need to have it running perpetually, but you can keep it installed. It's preferable to have tools installed before an infection in general (or to run them off external media like a read only thumbdrive).

System restore points can be compromised or leave behind traces of malware, I use images stored on an external drive.
>>
File: MB snip.png (30KB, 591x574px) Image search: [Google]
MB snip.png
30KB, 591x574px
>>57453148
Okay that clears things up. I appreciate the clarification.

Last question, when you say "Malware Bytes scan", is this the same type of scan that the free version is capable of executing?
>>
Malwarebytes is easiest to bypass with malware, get ESET NOD 32 instead
>>
What's people's thoughts on paid norton? Mines is pretty much free forever
>>
>>57453387
How is yours free forever?

And I have been using a paid Norton for about 3 years, just haven't put it back on since I've restored my PC. It has claimed to have stopped viruses and such multiple times, however after time, my PC still managed to get to a state where at idle the CPU usage would be >35 % and the disk usage would be spiking to 100% uncontrollably, so that's why I decided to restore my PC. It was annoying me that my fan was blasting on my machine all the time at idle. I don't know what the issue was, but I am relatively certain it was some kind of virus but I didn't know how to get rid of.

Now I'm debating if I should put Norton back on my machine or not.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.