[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ctf/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ctf.jpg (49KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
ctf.jpg
49KB, 660x440px
Do you participate in security CTF competitions? What are you into? Pwning? Reversing? Crypto? Forensics?

Upcoming CTFs and writeups:
ctftime<dot>org

Fun practice challenges:
pwnable<dot>kr
>>
Did consul from pwn.voting , it was fun
>>
>>57444491
what's out there for total beginners (see: bandit on overthewire<>com) ?

really like it but i would like to be spoonfed small challenges one after the other each digging a bit more until you transition onto another topic based on what you've learned. also since i'm legit retard, understanding those man pages and that google-fu'ing data makes me go nuts and waste time.
>>
>>57445565
like; they had a challenge where i had to convert a hexdump into a binary and decompress it several times using several ways. the step before that was to find differences in a text file with grep or some shit. I mean, i do get that i have to put in the effort and learn by myself as much as i can but it would've helped if they took a more lenient approach
>>
How accessible are these CTFs to a beginner? I have a background in RE, and have a mild interest in pwning.

Do others get to see how embarrassingly bad I'm doing? Or can I try and fail at the first challenge and revel in my private shame, then come back and try next time
>>
>>57445666
retardanon here.
only the server admin can see how shit you are i think. you're just connecting to a machine with ssh and try to get the key or flag or w/e the fuck.
>>
>>57445741
Ah awesome, I've just heard about them so often I wasn't sure how game-ey they were (scoreboards etc). Server admin is fine to me.
>>
>>57445741
however what i'm talking about are wargames and not CTF's. from what i understand CTF's are quake-like. you protect your file and try to get the enemy's one. so it's more of a competition than an actual way to learn shit
>>
>>57445666
For larger competitions they usually have you make an account and register under a team name. You can just use a 10minute mail and be on a team by yourself though so it's effectively anonymous.
>>
I can write python (though nothing to do with servers or netcode) and have absolutely no idea how I would even start to get into this sort of thing but I'm interested in it. What books should I read to learn about this?
>>
>>57447714
Read writeups. A writeup is where people who have solved a challenge explain everything they did to get the solution. Ctftime has links to some great ones.

Coursera has some great free online courses on cryptography and computer security.
>>
>>57444491
thank you op
>>
>>57444491
Yeah I enjoy CTF in TF2
>>
Only for fun when I am bored, facing worlds is still a great map especially with low gravity.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.