[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he doesn't have an UPS what's your excuse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: 1471411742015.jpg (54KB, 728x504px) Image search: [Google]
1471411742015.jpg
54KB, 728x504px
>he doesn't have an UPS
what's your excuse?
>>
Because I live in eastern europe, which is apparently better than the states, since I remember maybe 2 hours of total downtime in electrcity in the past 20 years and none of my electronics were ever damaged.
>>
it's a multifold reason:
1) a good UPS is somewhat expensive, so if i'm going to buy one (and do it right, not cheap out on some chink shit), then the need has to be great enough
2) i live in an area with reliable electricity
3) in the very rare cases where i have downtime, i can handle the data loss. that is, the stuff that would be lost wouldn't be that much of a financial loss for me.

just weigh the pros and cons of shit, OP. don't act like this is all the same for everyone everywhere forever
>>
>>57441883
I'm in a big city in Yurop too, I started using UPSes when I lived in a small village with a shitty power delivery (brownouts). Also, computer PSUs were shit at that time (no PFC) and kept dying.

However, even though I get to really use them about once a year (there are some sub-second interruptions but my PSU could probably handle it), I find their presence to be incredibly comfy.
>>
File: 1473900784397.png (106KB, 348x278px) Image search: [Google]
1473900784397.png
106KB, 348x278px
there's a UPS store right across the street from me what are you talking about
>>
>>57441883
i live in the US and consistent electricity isn't an issue here either except during a particularly bad storm or something.

some people, like OP, are just autistic or something and end up obsessing over something like having power sources everywhere. like this is how their autism manifests itself. but it's not an america thing
>>
>>57441929
I don't know what you think PFC does, but it had nothing to do with power supply reliability.
>>
>>57442090
With active PFC the PSU accepts a range like 100V-240V.
Without, it was 210-230 or bust
>>
File: autism.jpg (256KB, 1200x756px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
256KB, 1200x756px
>>57442058
And I'm proud of it.
>>
>>57442211
Autoranging and PFC aren't the same thing. Neither have anything to do with the quality of the power supply.
>>
>>57442229
i'm sure tons of people are proud of their disabilities. maybe you should find an sjw forum or something to go find other people who are ____ And Proud (tm)
>>
I've had about 1 power outage in 3~ years. Never once was anything damaged.
>>
my only computers are a labtop and a combined print server/NAS

so i don't really care. in theory, i could use a UPS to run the printer, but i never need to use it anyways.
>>
I have one.

But then again, I live in Pakistan and have no electricity for ~10 hours daily.
>>
>>57441868
I do use one. I got it for $20 at a thrift store with a perfectly healthy battery, only issue is it occasionally cuts out under high load.
>>
>>57442298
Kashmir is ours, paki scum. You will never have it.
>>
>>57442230
fact is, modern power supply handle brownouts just fine
don't be so autistic
>>
>>57441868

>APC master race
>>
>>57442328
Teri man ki choot hindustani tatti
>>
>>57442351
Chullu bhar muth mein doob mar
>>
File: ups.png (68KB, 875x644px) Image search: [Google]
ups.png
68KB, 875x644px
>>57441868
But I do. And it's working exactly as intended.
>>
>>57441868
i have one but its not really needed here.
>>
I used to have a UPS but found other solutions more versatile.

I live in a rural area with frequent outages but my main machines are notebooks. I always have extra car and motorcycle batteries I keep charged indoors on a convenient heavy duty plastic industrial cart.

I have a variety of inverters and USB phone chargers I can connect to these, I have female auto cigarette lighter style pigtails and sometimes connect those to a battery. My phones stay charged in prolonged outages. I can charge a notebook off the inverter in my truck when running errands. (My X200 dock will charge an extra battery off the side connector.)

I use a JNC jump start pack for portable power including starting my riding mower. Reliable and insanely handy, a double-male pigtail will charge it off my truck but I just leave it on charge at home when not in use.

Make all your gear work together and you can mix and match for any occasion. I have a couple of generators but rarely bother to use them.
>>
>>57442038

OP btfo

Will be ever recover
>>
Because the power plant got five 9s guarantee, average blackout time is less than a minute per year for the whole city. I have never seen a blackout myself even for those storm or typhoon times.
>>
File: Power Consumption Under Load.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Power Consumption Under Load.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>57441868
>he has a consumer grade UPS
>>
>>57442702
Why are some UPS so expensive? Do they produce a perfect sine wave, and why does that matter?
Also, I'm looking for rackable ones but they're not designed for home use as they come with loud fans.
>>
>>57442489
>>57442038
OP here
I have a fag store, and it's running out of you
>>
>>57442729
>Do they produce a perfect sine wave
nicer ones do

>why does that matter?
http://www.homepower.com/problem-loads-modified-square-wave-inverters
Previous pic was my 208v UPS, my 120v is a consumer grade APC and I have a fan pluged in to it. When it tests itself daily my fan makes a weird noise.

>Why are some UPS so expensive?
Larger battery capacity, larger inverter capacity, ability to add external battery packs, network management cards, the fact that anything rack mount comes with a premium because businesses can afford to pay.

>Also, I'm looking for rackable ones but they're not designed for home use as they come with loud fans.
My Smart UPS 3000 X is pretty quiet, I have it next to my desk. You can hear the fan if everything else is off, otherwise the workstation and switch (Catalyst 3750E) is louder.
>>
>>57442801
Looks interesting, plenty of sockets too.
I'll consider one when my current ones die.
>>
>>57442330
Fact is, so did older ones.
>>
>>57442483
>I always have extra car and motorcycle batteries I keep charged indoors on a convenient heavy duty plastic industrial cart.
Wow, I hope they are all sealed or you're a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>57443115
When you were young maybe, but not when I was young, kiddo.
>>
UPS is the biggest meme out there.

If power goes out then 99.99% of the time nothing bad will happen to your PC. You can also just use your fucking phone and juice up from an emergency powerbank if necessary.
>>
>>57443167
Ok kid.
>>
>>57443173
Having to reboot is bad, pleb.
>>
>>57443173
When the power goes out you can save your documents, game progress, or whatever else you're working on. If you aren't there to save things it puts your computer on hibernate and wakes it back up once power comes back, as if nothing ever happened.
>>
>>57443125
>Wow, I hope they are all sealed or you're a complete fucking retard

I'm a a pretty complete fucking mechanic and their sealed-ness is not an issue though most happen to be sealed. Very, very large lead-acid battery banks might give off enough hydrogen under heavy charge to matter but I don't have any such. If I did they'd live in an outdoor enclosure.

I charge them off a modern Yuasa tender not some ancient uncontrolled battery boiling, plate warping transformer charger. It's an effective way to keep my baiku and other batteries healthy during winter downtime so it's all win.

The old style chargers are nice for electrolytic rust removal but that gets done outdoors for obvious reasons. I don't inflict those on modern batteries.

BTW I've worked at a shop with once-typical wooden (acid doesn't eat it) battery storage/charging area for many years and those are no threat either. I prefer engineered plastic carts for shop use too because the top contains any possible spills. Modern carts are stout enough for motorcycle engine rebuilding and quite pleasant to work on.
>>
>>57443311
Right, guess that's why any time unsealed batteries are stored in cabin they're vented.
>>
>>57441868
>an UPS
>>
>>57441868
Don't have shitty electric company
>>
>>57442741
>>57442741
>>57442741

Well here's a couple of yous
>>
>>57443328
>Right, guess that's why any time unsealed batteries are stored in cabin they're vented.

My batteries aren't buried so no place for hydrogen to accumulate. If they were in "cabin" (if you are speaking of aircraft) the battery cases themselves are often vented (burst cases inflight would be ugly) but my house doesn't have wings.

Know theory and have ample practical experience and it's easy enough to choose wisely. I'm not quite sure what your gripe is. One charging battery at a time at low rate charge doesn't give off enough hydrogen to make more than a few tiny bubbles. They are in the open, about four feet above floor level and well out of harm's way.

If I lived in a WWII diesel-electric submarine and bunked next to the battery banks, that would be a hazard. Actually it would be many hazards including salt water intrusion making chlorine gas, but I don't live in a U-boat nor in range of any storm surge to give my house a seawater bath. One thing is not like the other.

These little 1 amp critters work nicely and are made by the major motorcycle battery manufacturer:

https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUA1201000-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B00HZTDKZG

What I would not do however is box up a homebuilt lead-acid UPS indoors. Enclosures are gas traps.

If I did a homebuilt permanent UPS it would go in a surplus large Hardigg case (the big ones are cheap, everyone wants the small ones for computers and guns) on a wheeled cart and live outdoors. I use a Honda eu2000i which weighs less than a large battery and burns very little fuel instead. They've a large user community and great aftermarket support. You can parallel two for more power and ease of mobility since you only need carry one at a time. LP and multifuel kits are available aftermarket:

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-EU2000I-Super-Inverter-Generator/dp/B005ND19AE

They are small enough to stash in an apartment (drain fuel outdoors first of course) and popular for off-grid power.
>>
>>57443173
>i dont know what write cache is
enjoy your data loss
>>
>>57441868
I live in a first world country with stable, reliable power delivery. I don't remember the last power outage in my area, and none of my electronics have been damaged by the very rare outages.
>>
File: load2.png (849KB, 1887x1154px) Image search: [Google]
load2.png
849KB, 1887x1154px
I do have an UPS. The computer on it is more efficient now though.
>>
File: solar1.jpg (424KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
solar1.jpg
424KB, 1536x1024px
I- it's so big, baka!
>>
I live about 2 miles from a nuclear power plant and they used my town to showcase and underground grid system.
Power hasn't gone out since 1993
When they installed the grid
>>
> Battery dies out of the blue.
> Get replacement.
> Turns out one of the connectors is melted.

Wow fuck you APC. Gad my house didn't burn down.
>>
>>57442058
most power issues in america are intermittent sub second losses, but then when a failure at the downs transformer happened, that was a good 7 hours of no power.

then later that year, something fucked up happened to the transformer, and power cycled around 300 times in under 2 minutes, that fucked my bios up. really want an ups, just for the piece of mind, but that initial cost is steep for something worthwhile.
>>
>>57442249
I have a 3d printer, a small power out of even brown out could fuck a multi day long print. safe than sorry in this case.
>>
File: 1468614012734.jpg (97KB, 464x463px) Image search: [Google]
1468614012734.jpg
97KB, 464x463px
>>57444069
>tfw i was waiting for this post
>>
File: Smart-UPS-1500XL plus stats.jpg (791KB, 1425x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Smart-UPS-1500XL plus stats.jpg
791KB, 1425x1536px
>>57445501
I am UPS.
>>
>>57441868
Because the entire point of a UPS is to give you enough time to get a generator or other power source online, and I don't have a generator.
>>
>>57441868
why arent you using a battery cluster of "raid10" 12v batteries and feeding 24V to your custom ATX DC-DC PSU O.P. ?

corsair / antec / other qulity brands etc / PSU with conectors to plug DC UPS when???

isnt there a great loss with this stupid inverting of battery to AC for the PSU to ACDC it again?

lead-acid batteries are spacey but cheaper and dont degrade so fast like a li-ion in 2 years if left plugged 100%

with allways-on-bat the psu wont have to have so many pwm circuitry to regulate voltage and amp and whatnot, right ?
>>
>>57445774
It can give you time to save your work.

I mean, most modern programs do autosave and autorestore, but still...
>>
>>57446721
>corsair / antec / other qulity brands etc / PSU with conectors to plug DC UPS when???
because they're all consumershit and if you want DC PSUs you go with enterprise class gear

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/power_supply.cfm?pg=PWS&type=-48Vdc#type
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/power_supply.cfm?pg=PWS&type=ACDC240V#type

>with allways-on-bat the psu wont have to have so many pwm circuitry to regulate voltage and amp and whatnot, right ?
not really, it still has to regulate it. Converting AC to DC isnt hard, you use a full wave bridge recifier which is basically just 4 diodes
>>
>>57445774
Depends on how long power cuts, not necessarily the entire point. With an UPS I managed multiple-years uptime at home.

>>57446721
I'd love to have that, but outside of custom datacenters it's very rare.
>>
had a server taken out by a brown-out, bought an eaton ups. shit is goooood.
>>
>>57441868
i had a UPS
it failed and took one of my hdd's down with it
>>
>>57445774
Not necessarily true, I use one to protect my RAID from any potential corruption due to power outages. If the power goes out my home server shuts down cleanly and with complete safety. I got a low-power 400W APC since I don't particularly care about keeping my shit running for a long time when the power is out, just making sure the server shuts down normally. After that I get like another hour of internet/WiFi until the UPS is shut down completely.

Power outages are very rare but a low-capacity UPS is quite cheap, so I don't see a good reason not to get some protection and peace of mind when the power does go out.
>>
Cause I use FedEx. Tom Hanks changed my life.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.