[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer-Mediated Communication at the Workplace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

For those that work with software to communicate with coworkers.

CMC: Computer-Mediated Communication
FTF: Face to Face

Questions:
Do you use any tech for communication at work? If so what?

How often do you use this tech at work to communicate?

How efficient and effective is communicating with tech in your line of work?

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of CMC?

Have you felt a difference in tone with those you talk to FTF and CMC? What was the difference?

Do you think its necessary to learn methods of communicating through CMC software in order to communicate through tech efficiently?
>>
Someone just give me one good response.
>>
>>57441670
You expect antisocial introverts on /g/ to give a fuck about communication skills?
>>
>>57441687
But it's tech related! Tech ultimately is a tool for communication.
>>
fuck i knew i should have written that i'm a girl to grab you virgins' attention
>>
File: 2016-10-25-174020_758x941_scrot.png (264KB, 758x941px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-25-174020_758x941_scrot.png
264KB, 758x941px
>>57441627
My office is a pretty close knit bunch for the most part. Small team anyway of >15.
We use Slack for most communication and it is honestly faster than having to get in a face-to-face conversation most of the time. If not faster then at least more efficient because a message can be put off for when its more appropriate instead of interrupting your brain's current process. We have this one sperg that will open his mouth at the sight of a message and start talking to you over your monitor and it really slows shit down. He sometimes refuses to shut up and drones on and on about shit he has already made very clear to everyone in previous monologues. When he just leaves it in chat it is a much quicker conversation.

Posting this now even though I might have more to say so you'll quit bumping for no reason, dork
>>
>>57441723
[citation needed]
>>
>>57441753
not him, but really you need a citation for that? or is this a joke about being antisocial and autistic or something?
>>
I work in a machine shop and program CNC machines.
We yell across the shop at the top of our lungs.
>>
>>57441751
con't

No yeah I think that's really about it. Face-to-face conversations suck pretty bad for work. I'd like to only need to use them when I have a need to convey emotion because text sucks at that and emoji makes you look like a ghetto shithead or a bubbly little girl depending on how its used.
>>
alright thanks for the help. got in touch with an apple employee that works from home so i think i got it.
>>
>Do you use any tech for communication at work? If so what?
Hipchat and Email.

>How often do you use this tech at work to communicate?
Every day.

>How efficient and effective is communicating with tech in your line of work?
Very. Hipchat is used for pinging individuals to discuss problems or confirm something, email is used for information coming down from higher-ups.

>What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of CMC?
Advantages: Don't have to get up, can send a message and get a response at a later time rather than needing to interrupt, chat logs means if you forgot the answer you can just check again.
Disadvantages: Some people suck at communicating over text, but this is rare in a decent company.

>Have you felt a difference in tone with those you talk to FTF and CMC? What was the difference?
Yes. FTF is full of everybody trying not to sound stupid. CMC nobody cares. Not having somebody give you a strange look when you ask something stupid is liberating.

>Do you think its necessary to learn methods of communicating through CMC software in order to communicate through tech efficiently?
Yes.
>>
Sms for quick messages and email for longer/ higher ups, the fuck else do you need?
>>
We use email mainly or we talk face-to-face. If we need a response asap, we use sms or we just call. Some of us hang around irc and at our telegram group.

The problem with email is that many people do not check it very often. The tech guys run k9-mail and get instant notifications though.
>>
>>57441627
I am old school. We used, for urgent stuff, to slam up a Xmessage box at whoever we needed response frem. The nice thing is that you can provide response buttons so you get an immediate answer from all, then and there.

Otherwise it is email.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.