[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Trying to decide on a new gaming laptop. I know, get a desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: 31tOczUOqHL._SY400_.jpg (14KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
31tOczUOqHL._SY400_.jpg
14KB, 500x330px
Trying to decide on a new gaming laptop. I know, get a desktop instead... But whenever I leave my barracks all electronics and anything with a cord must be secured in my locker so that's now out of the question. My budget is $1500-$1700. I'd like a 1060 or 1070 and obviously 16gb of RAM. Any suggestions for best all around choices and deals?
>>
>>57437771
>gaming laptop
kek
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MLL42LL-13-inch-dual-core/dp/B01LTHXA7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478590162&sr=8-1&keywords=new+macbook+pro

this is 1500 bucks
>>
I've been doing a bit of research because I was convinced this new generation of "slim" gaming laptops was bridging the desktop performance gap. Turns out gaming laptops are a little better but still shit. Key factor for me was all the 120hz laptops coming out. All of these panels has a fucking problem. Alienware has banding on all there 120hz units and MSI stealth 120hz has 28ms response time though its advertised as 5ms.

Cooling is still a huge issue that will eventually leave you with a $2000 paperweight. I've heard nothing but praise about lowered temperatures but I watched multiple laptops get benched with insane temps. Low 80s on cpu don't sound good to me at all. Although GPU temps were solid at around high 60s. Really you're looking at a desktop replacement "laptop" which I don't consider a laptop in any sense.

I'm pretty salty because all I want is a fucking 120hz for casual games like osu! and counter strike on a laptop. I don't even need these newer gpus to run that shit.
>>
>>57438012
Yeah, I totally understand that. And as I said as much as it pains me to get a 'gaming laptop' because I know how shitty it is vs a desktop like I used to use, I just can't have one right now because of the rules of my barracks. I'm going to be stuck here for over a year and as it stands now I go to the community center and pay to play on their xbox/PC setups but it's costing me $120 per 24 hours of game time. Which is absurd. I've already bought three 24 sets and it's only been a month
>>
File: bait.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>57437793
>Apple
>>
Stay away from Apple and MSI. Shit laptops. Speaking of unfortunate experience.
>>
>>57438615
What's your experience with MSI?
>>
>>57438637
Mediocre customer support. Great hardware packed in a tin can. Everything loves to fall apart. I'd rather spend my money on something more reliable. 1800 bucks down the drain.
>>
>>57438656
So, rather than MSI you'd recommend?
>>
>>57438665
I'm not sure, Acer or Asus? Gigabyte sounds attractive, but I don't trust it. It's better to see reviews of people after 1-2 years.
>>
>>57438697
Alright, thanks for the input mate
>>
>>57437771
Lenovo and gigabyte.

The Ideiapad Y700 and the Y900 just came out with the 980.
Gigabyte has some pretty up to date stuff at the same price range.

Just keep looking for decent deals.
>>
>>57438719
Will do, still looking
>>
>>57438730
I personally have the Y700 17" (non touch and non 4k version) , while the 960 is slightly underpowered for newer games and it's bloody fucking aluminium body corners hurt like fuck.
It's been a pretty nice laptop
>>
>>57438765
Hahaha yeah, I'm really looking for something with a 10 series card
>>
>not waiting for rx 460m
>not waiting for gtx 1050ti m
>>
>>57438776
Unless you get the 1050 most laptops right now sit at an average of $1,8-2k you'd better wait for a spring sale when they start rolling out new tech unless you plan on investing more money it's not worth it atm.
>>
>>57438793
I would like to wait for a sale but the longer I wait the more o spend at the fucking community center at around $120 every week-2 weeks
>>
Im guessing your in the army like me OP stop being such a lazy faggot i made the same mistake at AIT i bought a gaming laptop with a 960 and a couple other feature for 1100$ and it died about a month ago so now im buying a tower with a 1080 a 6700k liquid cooled etc go for the desktop you can fit it in your locker i mean its annoying i still had to put my laptop in my locker obviously a tower would be harder but put the extra effort in so you wont regret it.
>>
>>57437771
also op go to the px first they have pretty good deals on laptops there i saw one with a 1060 and some other features from msi for like 1300$ again you said barracks so im just assuming your military
>>
Try looking up Sager/Clevo
>>
>>57439031
Since you said barracks I can assume that you're not some kiddie. Clevo/Sager are kind of your best bets for something that can do gaming on the go these days, but I think the main issue is that cooling is still a gigantic issue; eventually what >>57438012 said is going to happen and you're going to end up with a useless and expensive paperweight.

I clicked https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP5653.html randomly on the Sager website and I was pretty impressed with the specs for the price; nothing crazy but really handy. The NP8151 seems to be something in the ballpark of what you're looking for.
>>
>>57437771
just stay away from lenovo Y series. There are two in my family and both died in fantastic ways within the first year.
>>
>>57437771
Spend the extra money on a Razer blade if you really want a "gaming laptop", they start at $2k but at least it won't throttle a fuckton and break in 6 months.
>>
you need to be aware that Asus, however interesting gl502vs looks, does NOT have windows 7 drivers.
>>
>>57441663
OH YES. STAY AWAY FROM THAT SHIT!
>>
>>57438817
>>57438834
>>57439807
Yeah, I am. I'm stuck in AIT at Fort Huachuca for like 14 months or some bullshit. Well any idea on something that would make setup/teardown easier?
>>
>>57437771
Get an Asus ROG
>>
>>57438012
I hate to say it but Alienware is probably your best bet because they have good warranty service with dell compared to brands like Asus or MSI. I'm not sure how good clevo is so maybe someone else can speak up on that. You mentioned barracks so I'm assuming you're in the military. Could you give me some insight on how much free time you get and your living condition (basic QoL). I'm considering joining because I quit my shit tier job some time ago and my savings have dwindled. I'm basically a neet at this point living on Credit cards. I might just kms
>>
>>57443043
I have been trying to avoid Alienware at all costs but I just might look into one. (kill me) But yeah, I joined the Army and graduated BCT close to 2 months ago. Currently in AIT (advanced Individualized training) to be a 15W Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operator (UAV operator) I was supposed to be here for 18 weeks per my contract but...turns out it's more of a 11-14 month sorta deal. But it's not too bad, I'm only an E-1 so I only make ~$500 or so every two weeks. But then again I also don't pay rent, utilities, food, healthcare, or for the schooling I'm getting. Which btw when I finish is just a few credits shy of a 2 year degree. Overall pretty good so far, oh! And don't forget free PT!
>>
>>57443043
And as for free time, I am on a night class schedule so I start class at 1600 and it ends at 2400 then PT from 0100 to 0200. So from 0200-1500 is my free time Monday through Friday. Weekends off, but schedules vary post to post and AIT vs regular army. And living conditions, in the barracks you share a room with a roommate and then share a bathroom in the middle with suite mates. Nottoobad/10
>>
>>57442608
When the heat pipe litterlay melts inside your system you know you have an issue
>>
>>57443111
Sounds pretty good desu. Honestly I wasn't making much more then you're so that sounds great with the added benefits. I was thinking chairforce rather then army because I like the easy way out but I am a high school drop out which makes it harder. I do however have the necessary college credit requirements and my GED, though I hear they still give you a tough time. I just had a few more questions if you don't mind. I'm into /fit/ so I was wondering about the type of food you get? Did you have any dental work done on base and how was your experience.

Anyway I would recommend alienware like I said previously but I've read certain batches have problems. Dells CS will have your back if you do. Alternatively research the new sager options.
>>
>>57443111
How were you assigned to be a UAV op and not some field grunt?
>>
>gaping laptop
>>
>>57443314
Well i would recommend the Army, I originally wanted to join the chair force (from like 6th to 10th grade) but my sister joined the airforce when I was a freshman. She went to train for cyber security and whatnot but then got stuck being a commander's secretary. She manages paperwork for all the Airforce UAV recruits. Meanwhile the Army guarantees you the MOS (job) you sign up for while, like the airforce, other branches don't. Also, technically the food isn't free but you get your $350 a month food allowance taken automatically when living in the barracks. So they provide you with 3 square meals at the DFAC (dining facility) every day. As for the food there, it varies from post to post. Some are better than others. Food here is usually pretty good and nutrition wise they use a red/yellow/green tag system on every item which relates to nutritional value respectively. So stick to green tags like vegetables, turkey, grilled chicken, fish, you should do just fine. However the curly fries and freshly grilled burgers on Thunderthigh Thursday are always tempting.
>>57443336
Well, you choose your MOS when you enlist. I scored a 96 on my ASVAB and told the recruiters what I wanted. Made them work for me vs being timid and taking something else they wanted to give me.
>>
>>57443314
Oh, I forgot the dental work portion. Yes I just had my bottom wisdom teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. They only use local anaesthetic at the dental clinic here, so 10-11 shots of novacaine on each side and I was ready for surgery. Recovery sucked for the first 36 hours but that's also because I wasn't taking the pain meds. Being a UAV operator I need to always maintain my flight status and that means taking the Hydro they gave me would ground my flight status and I didn't feel like going through the rigamaro of getting it back up again.
>>
Kinda hijacking, but what's your guys opinion/experience with the Omen from HP? More specifically the 15" version, it has the 965M with 4gbvram and I'd get that one with 16gb ram 512 ssd if you wanted to know.

Would want something that I can do things like Photoshop/illustrator plus some normie stuff, and at the same time not shit at gaming, probably just like overwatch csgo and nothing too crazy, and that I can move around with, would you recommend?
>>
>>57443499
>>57443852
Thanks a lot for the info. I hope you find what you're looking for bud.
>>
>>57444044
Thanks, best of luck to you too
>>
Go for clevo with desktop i7-6700 and gtx 1060, that should be somewhat around 1500 bucks and it will run most titles on ultra settings in 1080p
>>
>>57444074
Looking into then now
>>
>>57444114
>>57444074
Reviews on all these new clevos are pretty fantastic now that i'm looking at them. If you don't mind how fucking fat and immobile they're these laptops are your best bet. Temps are good compared to all other brands. Looks like you could probably get a 1070 with your budget.
>>
>>57444383
My bad the temps are still shit. The review video I saw must've been running the game for a short time.
>>
>>57444435
So you still think no on a clevo?
>>
Dell XPS 15 + Razer Core-like?
Yay or nay?
>>
>>57438012
>laptop temps
To be honest I'm still using a 2010 laptop (pavillion dv6) making it play shit it wasn't meant to play

I've even seen it going at 90-100 ÂșC. Yet it still works fine.
>>
>>57437771
didn't really read your comment but I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 (7559). When I got it I switched the HDD for a SSD and upgraded the RAM to 16GB.
it's no monster but it's not that pricey and I can play Battlefield 1 on lowest setting on solid 70 fps
>>57444699
I thought of getting that one (minus the razer core), but I would basically be paying twice as much for essentially the same specs in a prettier package (I was really thinking of getting it though)
>>
>>57444074
>desktop CPU in a laptop
What is the fucking point? Intel's quad core mobile i7s are already good enough to play anything the GTX 1060 will be able to handle. It's such a waste of a laptop's already limited thermal envelope.
>>
>>57444628
Honestly just grab anything. I'm sure you just want to game already
>>
Consider a smaller form-factor PC!
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.