[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For me, it is Slackware. The best Linux distribution.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: bluepiSW.jpg (48KB, 232x227px) Image search: [Google]
bluepiSW.jpg
48KB, 232x227px
For me, it is Slackware. The best Linux distribution.
>>
File: setup_select_cl.png (6KB, 693x336px) Image search: [Google]
setup_select_cl.png
6KB, 693x336px
>>57416355
It's always cool to see another slackware user on /g/. It's extremely comfy and the simplicity of it is awesome. It has the best installer of any distro, that is a fact.
>>
>>57416355
>For me
opinion discarded
>>
>>57416384
>best installer
So Slackware users are delusional on top of everything else that's wrong with them? Interesting.
>>
>>57416516
I know you're probably shitposting, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What was delusional about my post? I've seen many people say slackware has the best installer because of it's simplicity and how quickly you get the distro installed.
>>
>>57416542
Not him, but you know what else is quick? Pressing next four times to install Ubuntu.
>>
>>57416599
I've found slackware installations to be faster than ubuntu installations. Most of the time in slackware installer you can just press enter since it has sane defaults.
>>
For me Slackware installer is the best because it is fully text and it let you choose all packages you want.
>>
>>57416646
Yeah, ncurses is pretty cool.
>>
>>57416355
>>57416384
Feels like running BSD with drivers, amirite?
>>
>>57416355
isnt slackware the one with no good package manager and no way to remove dependencies
>>
lol slackware is still a thing
just install windows 10 you nerds
>>
>>57416736
It is still shitposting even if you're being ironic.
>>
>>57416681
you can either make packages from source, or you can use slackbuilds, or even download them from repos. I actually like getting source from the developers, cuts out the middle man. As for dependencies it doesn't manage them for you, but its normally only a few libraries which you can remove like any other package.
>>
>>57416795
windows 10 is a perfect os and the is not even a shitpost.
stop running these shitty, hard to use try hard distros in the poor attempt to make you feel smarter or better.

if you want to use linux fine. Use a usable distribution like mint, fedora, or fuckin Ubuntu you turbo spurgs
>>
>>57416384
this, pick from a list of packages, install, done. Thats all installers should be.
>>
>>57416599
And then having to install and configure all the shit I need manually?
If I wanted to do that, I'd use Windows, my guy.
>>
File: 1477557498878.jpg (34KB, 550x633px) Image search: [Google]
1477557498878.jpg
34KB, 550x633px
>>57416843
Just stop, please. I'm asking very nicely.
>>
>>57416843
Shitty bait kid people use whatever they want
Att a win 10 user who isn't retarded and used arch without feeling special, smart or superior.
Now please take a break to kys
>>
>>57416843
well the reason people switch to linux in the first place is they want to be able to customize it to whatever they want to do, most of linux's benefit comes from the command line, but even with slackware it doesn't take much to make it a "point & click" distro, if thats what you mean. Slackware just has the benefit of being the most "vanilla" so you can pretty much decide what direction you want to take it individually.
>>
>>57416952
I like how slackware is very vanilla. Other disros like arch linux, debian, ubuntu, fedora, etc want to do something different from traditional UNIX. Slackware aims to be very conservative and closest to UNIX as possible. I also like how it uses the easy to modify BSD style inits with rc scripts.
>>
>>57416886
not all of it, there are lazy ways of doing it, but adding different options when compiling the source is actually useful. Something you don't always get with packages from repos. I realize your shitposting but still though.
>>
Anyone who tries to paint Slackware as a 1337-tier distro is a tech-illiterate nigger.

The maintainer abandoned it and the shit is more unstable than Arch circa 2014.
>>
>>57417039
What drugs are you taking? Pat is still the BDFL. If you're talking about lilo, pat has volunteered to maintain it.

>unstable
I have not once experience a crash for it. It's quite stable.
>>
>>57416996
yup, its about as unix as linux gets, and the inits about as barebones as you can get, plus you got alot of goodwork done by slackbuilds, alienbob and the rest of them that make the more difficult problems with source code (most of the time the developers fault desu) easy.
>>
>>57417039
anyone who trys to paint any distro as 1337-tier is ridiculous.
Slackware doesn't "try" to be anything, thats somewhat the point
>>
>>57417062
What init are you using with Slaccware? It runs like garbage on OpenRC, so idgaf about this gay shit.
>>
>>57417116
Slackware uses BSD style init scripts, not sysv or OpenRC.
>>
>>57417149
>>57417116
Also, while I know you can use another init system like OpenRC, I've never tried OpenRC on slackware so I can't judge it.
>>
Mac OSX is literally the only usable Unix/Linux distro
t. the real world
>>
>>57417165
fitty the business world.
>>
>>57417116
http://www.slackware.com/config/init.php
>>
>>57417189
BSD style init is a lot cleaner.
>>
>>57416516

Hardly the "best" installer, but it's a lot more simple than some people might let on. All you do is cfdisk, pick packages, set up accounts and you're done. It's barely more complicated than installing Windows 2000.
>>
>>57416843
>"I'm retarded and need an OS to regurgitate defaults at me and lock me out of any customization options lest I break something as a result of my sheer stupidity."

Please depart from /g/. You clearly don't belong here.
>>
>>57417367
Those people can sudoku.
>>
>>57417367
>I'm a better smarter person because I take hours of my time to customise my os down to the pixel to match the color of my anime waifus hair
Do something useful or kys you fucking neet
>>
>>57417039
>The maintainer abandoned it and the shit is more unstable than Arch circa 2014.
Volkerding has been actively maintaining Slackware all this time. Where are you even getting this nonsense from?

>more unstable than Arch
Slackware is reputedly one of the most stable distros ever.

Is this some kind of bait?
>>
>>57417387
>I'm a better smarter person

As long as your IQ isn't in the double-digit range, you should be able to figure out how to unselect any packages you don't wish to install. And if it bothers you that much, there are defaults that will get the system up and running without pestering you to configure anything.
>>
File: slack.jpg (666KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
slack.jpg
666KB, 1366x768px
people really don't give slack enough credit. Much love.
>>
Fellow Slackware user reporting. Started using it last week, though had done a dry run in a VM a while back. I like having such a level of control over my system though installing software is admittedly much more complicated than in any other distros I have previously used. The benefits have outweighed the drawbacks for me for the most part so far except building ffmpeg was pretty annoying and I fucked something up with the mpv install because it can't stream YouTube vids
>>
>>57418578
>much more
It's a different experience than modern distros, but it's not complicated at all once you get the hang of it. You can either use a build script to make a package that installpkg can use or just do the traditional way of make install. There are alternative package managers like slapt-get which has automatic dependency resolution and slackpkg+ which is a plugin for slackpkg that allows for third party repos like alien bob, who has a great selection of software on his repo like multilib.
>>
>>57416355
does slackware have a unified package manager so you can search and install from official repos and slackbuids without having to use two different programs? cause that shit gets annoying fast
>>
>>57418626
I use sbotools which achieves similar functionality. In general installing packages has not been incredibly difficult, I pretty much only build packages from slackbuilds but it is another layer of complexity considering which dependencies I want in installing a particular piece of software, and upgrading the packages is not as simple a task since I often have to make install or use slackbuilds. Perhaps a different package manager fixes the latter problem but so far I worry for the increasing complexity to come in keeping an up-to-date system. On another note do you write your own .SlackBuilds every time you install a program from source? I am considering doing so since it might reduce the complexity in my system
>>
File: 1473460527918.jpg (32KB, 669x352px) Image search: [Google]
1473460527918.jpg
32KB, 669x352px
>>57416355
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

http://kernel.org/
http://gnu.org/
>>
File: 1465092971854.jpg (82KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1465092971854.jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
>>57416355
I use it when I wish to return to the year 1995.
>>
File: 1476077102095.jpg (25KB, 339x323px) Image search: [Google]
1476077102095.jpg
25KB, 339x323px
>>57417674
>./screenfetch-dev
>>
>>57418750
A build script only takes the source code tar.file, compiles it, applies various permissions it needs and anything else it needs, and returns it as a package that you can install via installpkg. I just skip the build scripts and install programs that aren't in the repos as make install. It's all down to a personal preference. I think the reason why they recommend you to do via build scripts it's more convenient to uninstall packages via package manager rather than traditional means of uninstalling packages.

>On another note do you write your own .SlackBuilds every time you install a program from source?
Make a build script is optional, but you could if you wanted to. slackbuilds.org has many build scripts already made for you, just verify the script and you're good to go.
>>
>>57416681
make from source
slackbuilds manually resolving dependencies or use sbotool (sbosnap fetch, sboinstall) - perl scripts that downloads slackbuilds with their dependencies and make, install them

if you don't like to compile everything you can download already compiled tgz's e.g. (~alien slackbuilds) or deb/rpm packages and use deb2tgz, rpm2tgz
>>
>>57419074
another good practice is to "make install DESTDIR=/tmp/pkgname" and make a package from it with makepkg if your compiling from source, most developers don't even bother writing rules for uninstalling programs.
>>
>>57419098
so that's a yes
>>
Quite pleased with Cinnamon Mint tbqhf.
>>
>>57419071
$ file bin/screenfetch
bin/screenfetch: symbolic link to ../Downloads/Git/screenFetch/screenfetch-dev
>>
>>57419071
>>57419849
look i just ran the script i downloaded from git, i didn't bother "installing" it or anything
>>
>>57416668

And without systemd. c:
>>
File: 1470904139473.jpg (4KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1470904139473.jpg
4KB, 126x126px
I want to learn about linux by installing either arch or gentoo, but i don't have a computer that i want to do it on. Any recommendations?
>>
>>57421453
I recommend you acquire a computer you want to do it on.
>>
>tfw too intelligent for anything other than Arch
>>
>>57421488
>intelligent
Time is sinking
>>
>>57421655
>he can't make his arch install productive under mins
I guess it's only for the high IQ people :^)
>>
this thread made me want to try slackware
>>
>>57421899
go ahead dude
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.