[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are 'soft' positions in tech effectively useless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

In tech companies, are positions like:
-> Project/program Managers
-> "User Experience" Designers
-> Scrum masters

Just fucking useless and meaningless compared to developers and engineers who do the real work?
>>
some of them are totally worthless but a lot of them exist to keep developer autism in check.
>>
>>57413661
Starting to think this myself. Currently on a scrum team and really helpful to keep track of items but its best when you have a scrum master who has been down the engineering road before
>>
>-> "User Experience" Designers
Open source software proves they aren't useless.
>>
>>57413661
gotta keep the autism at bay
>>
>>57413661
Have you ever had to work with clients before?
I'm happy we have a guy that has to deal with their bullshit desu
>>
>>57413661
Project managers are needed. It requires a team of very skilled and experienced programmers to actually do without one.

User experience designers are also needed. Programmers suck at designing and testing their UI in the real world.

You need a scrum master to do scrum. It's very subjective whether or not you actually should use scrum, but it's not scrum without a scrum master.
>>
>>57413728
>>57413766
>>57413786
>>57413788
>>57413793
>>57413819

Wow I was expecting shitpost answers.

Thanks /g/
>>
>>57413661
Depends on the person and organization. Some orgs put up with useless PMs for ages before getting rid of them, but most don't. A bad PM will be out on their ass pretty quickly.

A good PM isn't a normie. Normies don't speak business. Normies don't speak programmer. A good PM speaks all three, and they need to. A large part of their job is being a translator, and being a buffer. You do not want a business type in on engineering meetings, and you don't want a programmer in on business meetings. It seems inefficient, but a good pm will go to the business meetings , hammer out what they want, go to the techies, hammer out which of that is possible, and then bounce back and forth until a steady state has been reached.
>>
>>57413956

Very good and accurate answer.
>>
File: 1315105144183.jpg (33KB, 443x605px) Image search: [Google]
1315105144183.jpg
33KB, 443x605px
So if I am not autistic I can become an UI/UX designer?
>>
>>57413661

>Just fucking useless and meaningless compared to developers and engineers who do the real work?

They are very useful for keeping the office politics, financial, and other crap off of your back while you actually work. My project manager actually knows his shit because he was a code monkey for a long time before getting his masters. He is also bro-tier and tries to get us out of the office early on most days if we are ahead of deadline.
>>
>>57414669
>if I am not autistic
said the person browsing Bhutanese claymation public speaking spot
>>
>>57413819
>You need a scrum master to do scrum. It's very subjective whether or not you actually should use scrum, but it's not scrum without a scrum master.

This. Scrum itself is a forced meme, but in it a scrum master is really helpful, aka the victim.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.