[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plasma Mobile is a Fully Open-Source Smartphone OS from KDE e.V.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: plasma-screen-7.png (557KB, 1268x646px) Image search: [Google]
plasma-screen-7.png
557KB, 1268x646px
Android? iOS? Windows Phone? Sailfish? Tizen? Fuck that! We've got a new player joining the smartphone market!

The team describes Plasma Mobile as a way to turn your smartphone into a “fully open hacking device, just like a PC.” Those of you who have used KDE in the past might be familiar with the Plasma workspace by the name “KDE Plasma”. KDE Plasma is available for desktops, netbooks, media centers for TVs, tablets and now mobile devices. If offers an adaptable user interface and in the future it will also offer a rapidly-maturing software system that is developed with an open life cycle.

The software has built the Plasma workspace into it, and offers KWIN/Wayland and Voicecall/Ofono while also integrating Plasma Apps, Plasma Widgets, Ubuntu Touch Apps and the possibility of installing Sailfish and Nemo Apps. Plasma Mobile’s development team will be aiming to run many Qt/GTK/X11-based applications on the OS, and hope to implement package installation via the “apt-get install packagename” command. The platform will utilize libhybris on ARM devices while opting for DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) on Intel devices.

As of right now, Plasma Mobile only supports the Nexus 5 and the OnePlus One, along with some Intel-based devices. If you want to try this out on the Nexus 5, Plasma Mobile can be installed as a secondary ROM on your device thanks to MultiROM support. The team describes the state of MultiROM support for the Nexus 5 as “Solid” (so while it isn’t perfect, it’s past the ‘Experimental’ state).
>>
ALL HAIL THE PLASMA BOTNET.
>>
>>57409640
>AH Mobiel
>>
S-somebody with a Nexus 5 please....try it, and report back how it runs.
>>
>video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuQA0Q8qpM
>>
>>57409717
That may be the clunkiest OS I've ever seen. Sailfish is so much more polished than this.
>>
>>57409717
dialler app had loading
settings app had loading
wow mate
>>
>>57409717
>>57409747
I'd give them the benefit of a doubt, since that's a prototype video from last year.

But honestly, everything is big, the animations are laggy, the UI looks like shit...the only thing it has going for me right now is the Wayland thing, "apt-get install", and the apps from other OS-es like Sailfish being supported. I'm not going to fuck around with every single setting on my phone to rice it or fix something. Should've gone the Android route - targeting casual users, but with a "developer mode" thing which unlocks all this tweaking and shit.

I'm sorry, KDE devs, but...no.
>>
This is the first time I regret getting the 16GB Nexus 5 version.
>>
>>57409815
>Should've gone the Android route - targeting casual users

Totally agree. Because who else would install Linux on their phones than casual users? This approach worked well for Ubuntu Phone too.
>>
KDE are based.
>>
>>57409640
is it written in C/C++? or some other D/Rust/C#/Java/JS bullshit?
>>
>>57409640
This shit like onion. Layer of Android, layer of Linux on top. It's like Linux on Linux. This is not good. Now I have to configure two of everything. Not good. Slow is not good. Only man on woman is good. Linux on Linux is not. Two Linux will collide and cause problem. I will not use. Thank you.
>>
>>57412506
Mostly C++
>>
>>57409640
>steal parts from Mer/sailfish
>slap plasma on top of it
>call it your own OS
Clever
>>
Why is it that these new OS's only support the Nexus 5 and OnePlus One in particular?
>>
So.. it's just a reskinned Ubuntu Touch?
>>
>>57412926
Those are the two most popular phones among "developers"
>>
>>57412977
what makes them good for "developers"?
>>
>>57409640
i want a mobile os from gnome
pls
make rebith of webos happen
>>
>>57409640
Why dont they focus on making their DE not shot first?
>>
All I want is an OS that lets you install and run things from source code which also has a good user interface.
>>
>>57409640
Their design aspect is atrocious, their DE is atrocious, and now they're taking the same hideous, aesthetically disgusting shit and putting it into a phone.

Honestly, when I first tried Linux, I spent a month looking around for DEs to use. I found kde and was immediately put off from it. Why can't they come up with a decent design instead of making a trashy bastardized version of the windows desktop with even worse ripoff "material design" ui icons?
>>
File: IMG_20161106_213124.jpg (29KB, 517x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_213124.jpg
29KB, 517x396px
>>57409640
> tfw you rewatch the video for the 10th time because you can't believe how terrible it looks like
> tfw they show the dialer app
> wait a second
> no
> NONONONO
> screen tearing
> on your smartphone
> SCREEN TEARING
> SMARTPHONE
>>
>>57414567
They were cheap when they came out, yet still had high-end hardware, they run stock Android, they have an unlockable bootloader and working kernel sources.
>>
File: nipples.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
nipples.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
>>57416429
Just runs a custom rom what's are you even doing l
>>
>>57414583
Wouldn't that just be LuneOS?
>>
File: replicant.png (16KB, 700x200px) Image search: [Google]
replicant.png
16KB, 700x200px
It's not like there arent Open-Source operating systems for mobile devices, it's that NO FUCKING DEVICE SUPPORTS THEM. Try running Replicant on anything other than the 2-3 phones listed on their website. Even those aren't fully functional yet.
>>
File: gta04.png (133KB, 209x400px) Image search: [Google]
gta04.png
133KB, 209x400px
>>57417292

BTW only exceptionally ugly phones allowed.
>>
I'M THINK I'M GOING TO THROW UP
>>
I tried to love you KDE, I honestly did. I tried all the distros, from Manjaro to netrunner, even opensuse. But for one reason or another you'd shit the bed... Using folder view on desktop crashing, logout dialogue switching monitors, erasing or ignoring xorg.conf in favour of your own display settings manager. In the end it just wasn't worth all the time spent fucking fixing you just to have a decent UX.
So long live Gnome.
>>
>>57409862
Meanwhile some russian guy soldered a 64GB eMMC on a 32GB N5.(check XDA)
>>
>>57412608
Great insight pajeet
>>
File: harry-piekema.jpg (34KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
harry-piekema.jpg
34KB, 1024x576px
>>57409640
>Albert Heijn mobiel
>>
>>57409640
>not using Ubuntu Touch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwrHiKxMC8
>>
>>57419895
>no apps
>no LTE
>fucking ubuntu
lmao
>>
>>57419918
Can't have any less apps than plasma mobile and it may be ubuntu but at least it doesn't visually look like complete fucking garbage like plasma mobile
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.