[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4G LTE modem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: sierra wireless modem.jpg (114KB, 1136x668px) Image search: [Google]
sierra wireless modem.jpg
114KB, 1136x668px
Yo, my grandparents recently moved out in the boonies, and now dont have any way of getting a good internet connection (without paying out the ass). I get pretty good 4G LTE signal in their house, and I was wondering how hard it would be to set up a computer to use one of these modems on Linux to route WAN into the rest of their network. Anyone else have a setup like this? would it be possible to use 2 of these modems in parallel to increase the speed?
>>
>>57406528
What's the tower capacity out there? Using multiple 4g cards and load balancing across them is trivial, but if the tower doesn't have a capacity to handle the load, you won't gain anything.

Maybe just buy a cheap hot-spot from FreedomPOP or some other virtual network operator and use that.
>>
>>57406528
>would it be possible to use 2 of these modems in parallel to increase the speed?
Not really, no. 4G LTE is very commonly use for failover in SMB networks, though. I think pfSense supports it, even.
>>
>>57406598
>What's the tower capacity out there?
I'm not exactly sure. I had a VERY good connection, and I was able to get a 50/20Mbps connection from their location just using my cellphones antenna .

the only available ISP up there was trying to charge him $200/month for a 20/5mbps connection + $200 installation fee (haha, nope).
Kind of crazy that that is acceptable service anywhere in the United States.

>Using multiple 4g cards and load balancing across them is trivial, but if the tower doesn't have a capacity to handle the load, you won't gain anything.

I'm pretty sure that the LTE tower has plenty of bandwidth to spare, it is a very small town it covers .T-mobile upgraded a shit ton of their towers, so i don’t think that is an issue.
>>
File: 4g LTE speed test.png (46KB, 377x671px) Image search: [Google]
4g LTE speed test.png
46KB, 377x671px
>>57407522
Forgot to add pic..
>>
>>57407522
>I'm pretty sure that the LTE tower has plenty of bandwidth to spare
It won't really matter, because it won't work how you think it will. Do your grandparents have a fairly recent laptop and don't have anything else to connect to the internet? Just get a WWAN mPCI-E card and be done with it.
>>
>>57407537
I was going to use a mPCI-E card adepter, and get a cheap thinkcentre to handle their network, another system for a fileserver / plex server, and another system for their home automation / security.

He really wants me to go all out.
>>
>>57408053
You could probably get a TS140 and do it all on that.
>>
File: e392-3.jpg (32KB, 600x600px)
e392-3.jpg
32KB, 600x600px
>>57406528

You can get yourself a beefy router with a USB 3.0 port and just stick in one of those LTE dongles the ISP gives you. Should be more power-effecient than a desktop PC running 24/7
>>
File: microitx.jpg (992KB, 1000x941px) Image search: [Google]
microitx.jpg
992KB, 1000x941px
>>57410554

Second idea - use a cheap older-gen microITX board as a router. They often have a mini PCI-e slot on them and a low-power intel Atom onboard with just a heatsink, so no noise.
>>
>>57406528
I'll take a cradle point for 300 Alex.
>inb4 verizon shill
>>
>>57408053
>3 boxes

You're a fucking idiot, get one box and virtualise everything.
>>
>>57410554
This, most of the new router have this function, or there are 4G routers combo... It's cheaper
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.