[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you think about material design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: alarm_material_ui.gif (191KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
alarm_material_ui.gif
191KB, 800x600px
what do you think about material design?
>>
kids design
>>
It's [spoiler]cute[/spoiler]
>>
It's nice in small doses but has gotten too common.

Not worth really getting bothered over though - I wish I had an easy enough life that hating material design seemed reasonable.
>>
It's the only decent flat design.
>>
It's clear and intuitive if it's properly crafted
>>
>>57400520
It is clean and nice looking BUT

It wastes too much space at the top either with HUGE WHITE GAPS or IMAGES or UNNECESSARY HUGE TEXT

Some animations are not needed

Titlebar should match the app background color
>>
>>57400520
Flat design (without drop shadowing) is better.
Material design is a tradeoff.
>>
reeee it won't render on a 20x20 green-on-black Amstrad CRT reeeee it's shit i hate it reee i hate technology ree
>>
>>57400587
This, pretty much. It's "flat", alright, but it doesn't "feel" flat. It's hard to describe, me being an ESL.

If I had any complaints, it's that content density is quite low, and there are too many animations at times.

The best implementations of Material Design I've personally seen are Phonograph (is pretty similar to the Play Music app which was demoed at I/O 2014), and AdAway. Yes, fucking AdAway. Open it up at night and look at it from a distance. Everything flows so damn nicely.
>>
>>57400675
Pro tip: Android N has a built in font and DPI changer now.
>>
goat design
BUT GOOGLE CANT EVEN FOLLOW IT
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
Distracting.
>>
>>57400520
Confusing as fuck.

I prefer intuitive designs.
>>
>>57400675
>wastes too much space at the top either with HUGE WHITE GAPS or IMAGES or UNNECESSARY HUGE TEXT
That's the general trend design has been heading for in a long time now.

Look at youtubes channel update, or twitch, or any fucking website these days with a giant fucking banner image, even for a simple blog.

It's hysterical, and MD handles it much better than most I've got to say.
>>
CARD EVERYTHING
>>
>>57400972
Huh, it does? I can't wait until it comes for my phone.
>>
smartphones are already the enemy of efficiency in getting shit done and material design just makes it harder
>>
I like it honestly but it's very trendy, that is to say that when people look back on this time they'll remember it as a time of material design and silly minimalism in the same way we think of purple and synthwave when we think of the 80's. unfortunately it can't last forever. I hope that sci-fi hud becomes the next popular aesthetic. I want something that looks like it comes out of a marvel movie desu.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161105-143205.png (50KB, 432x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161105-143205.png
50KB, 432x768px
>>57401026
Yes. You can make everything smaller or larger than the original size.
>>
>>57401108
>wanting to return to honeycomb tier
*vomits*
>>
>All this processing power
>high resolution windows 3.11 with colours

J U S T
>>
>>57401149
yet another stupid comment to add to the very large collection of retarded comments /g/ makes
stay tuned for end of the year posting :)
>>
>>57401115
I'm already doing this on CM, but this being baked-in into the OS itself sounds a lot better. It's native, and the devs have probably done everything in the book to ensure it works flawlessly without making any trouble on a variety of devices. Never had problems with the DPI settings, either, but it feels better knowing it's native, and not patched-in from a third party.
>>
Faggots design.
>>
>>57400520
It's shit.
>>
Kino
>>
Its not horrible, but the idea of floating buttons is pants on head and needs to be killed.
>>
I like it, but I think there's still room for improvement. Its miles better than the bubbly shit design from early web 2.0 days
>>
>>57400587
>>57400846
These.

>>57401969
And this.
>>
>>57400520
It's flat but not minimalistic.
I fucking hate people who mix flat and minimalistic.
And i like Material, it's a good approach at how touch interfaces should "feel".
>>
>>57400520
What does it mean for a design to be a material design after all? I mean I like what I see on the op pic, but why is it called a material design?
>>
>>57401923
Floating buttons are reserved for single important tasks that should have a more prominent spot in the ui (and are used so often, that a better reachable placement is sensible). Through their appearance, they "invite the user" to be pressed which is of the interest of app developers (though not necessarily in the interest of the power user who knows exactly what he wants to do.)
Finally, I do agree that partially blocking the content with volatile and unlabeled buttons may not be ideal and their use can be problematic.
>>
>>57402066
Google named it that way and they created design guidelines for it. Watch the videos on that, they're pretty cool
>>
>>57402104
Thank you. Eventually, I googled it, but for some reason I wanted to ask this explicitly in a written form.
>>
>>57400520
kawaii
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-05-12-42-19.png (179KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-05-12-42-19.png
179KB, 1080x1920px
It's shit, I want muh holo black back. Pic related, only reason I still use KK. I'm sure MM has a paid black theme that is as good but fuck paying for themes.
>>
>>57400587
>It's the only decent flat design.

This
>>
>>57400520
I think you should post this on /gd/
>>
I fucking despise this round icon/chatbox/avatar meme
>>
Cancer.
>>
>>57400520
It wastes so much fucking space and people using it seem to pick the most putrid colors.
>>
>>57400520
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>57400520
I like it because I don't have to worry too much about designing a UI. Just follow all the guidelines and you're done.
Any design I make by myself would have been worse than it anyway.
>>
File: 1465194752379.png (446KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1465194752379.png
446KB, 1366x768px
>>57400520
>put some squares and circles on the screen
>fill them with tasteless and uninspired colours
>huge boring font (great usage of modern high res screens)
>have as few colours as possible in your icons. Ideally, they should just be silhouettes
>add shadows
And you're done.

Material design is so easy to make that you don't even need a designer to do it. I wish modern UI design was more inspired and I hope that the material design meme dies soon.
>>
>>57403882
this
it's shit but works wonders
>>
>>57404001
i want my computer to look like this
how do i make my computer look like this
>>
>>57400520
http://santini.io/blog/google-material-design-the-end-of-creative-web-design
>>
>>57404055
https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/Home/
Have a look at this friendo
>>
>>57400520
iPhone in 2007 had the better interface.
>>
>>57404055
Looks like twm or fvwm (the user interface)
I used to favor them when I was an engineering student, because they would load so fast on the computer room's machines
>>
Have worked with it for 2 years now and its pretty comfy. I dont like the animated labels on inputs and the tabs are kinda tricky to build from scratch (inkline). I also dont see the point on ink ripples on desktop where you have a mouse so i have omitted them whenever possible
>>
>>57404103
I might have agreed with that guy's blog post if his blog's design wasn't so terrible.
>>
>>57400520
They are really trying hard to make computer UIs accessible to everyone.
>>
>>57404490
Nothing wrong with making a more intuitive UI. What is a problem is when they remove features for the sake of simplicity.
>>
complete shit, made for kids
>>
File: 1476300634334.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1476300634334.gif
537KB, 480x270px
okay mr. design guru show me an example of GOOD design then hmm?
>>
>>57400587
agreed
>>
iLike
>>
>>57400520
It never feels like the round-buttons imply the function they perform.
>>
>>57400520
It's pretty bad. Too much wasted space, too many random colors, etc. Google misunderstood skeumorphism and took the wrong parts of it to their designs. I guess they thought it meant "shit's got cool animations", but it was really about giving users a physical analogy to their virtual desktops. "Everything is flat and surrounded by flat circles with hamburger menus" isn't skeumorphism. It tells you nothing about how to interact with the system.

Google wanted to go for a "sheet of papers" aesthetic and interaction model but it never, ever feels like that when you interact with a material design app. Honestly, Apple's iOS does that much better and never gets in your face about it ("Look, everything is white! Like paper! Get it? Look at all our blank space and drop shadows!"). If you want to go back to the previous app on iOS, you just hold on the screen and swipe the current app off the top, like you would with a real fucking stack of papers.

I honestly wouldn't be so bothered by material design if I didn't have to hear everyone talking about how great or revolutionary it was. It's literally the same interaction model Google had on their Android phones immediately prior to it, just with more white space and flat colors.
>>
>>57402175
that looks disgusting
please never ever design anything in your life
>>
>>57405027
not him but I like kit kat

easy on the eyes and quick to tell me what I need to know without using flaming homo colors

decent candy brand too
>>
>>57405065
Kit Kat overall was OK, but still ugly. There was too much white usage but like half of the shit was still in this black state due to Holo. Android had design styles until Holo, after that it was basically bipolar until MD hit.
Kit Kats are also subpar 2bh
>>
Looks like bullshit
>>
>>57400562
It's
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ugly
>>
It looks nice but isn't very functional or efficient
>>
>>57402175
just install cm13/14/15 and get a free black theme???
>>
its perfect. Apple tried to copy it with ios7
>>
>>57400520
Shit, i hope it dies
>>
>>57400520
too much whitespace, colors are too bright
>>
I know how /g/ feels about Apple, but iOS's UI/UX design language (whatever it's called) is in my opinion, the best way to go on small touch devices.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/
>>
>>57400846
It's called "almost flat design". Basically flat but it requires interactive shit to be easily identifiable. Don't ask more, I don't know how the fuck do I know that.
>>
>>57405910
They may have a dark theme but it's not black.
>>
File: 382886236.jpg (72KB, 1400x781px) Image search: [Google]
382886236.jpg
72KB, 1400x781px
>>57400520
it's too minimal in my opinion, I like the minimal + blurry iOS style design.
>>
>>57400520
It's guidlines are abused to often but it's pretty good if the followed even a bit.
>>
>>57400520
It's good but it needs to be both expanded and refined into something more encompassing but also more succinct and functional. Standards within our tech really need to happen more frequently, and on more levels. So UI design guidelines or systems are good in that regard, regardless of what they look like.
>>
File: 1457507657075.gif (46KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1457507657075.gif
46KB, 225x225px
>>57400520
I've really detested the "modern" direction of flat designs that a lot of companies have taken not just in software but in other fields as well, such as design, advertising, etc. lately. I feel like humans are too easily regressing on how they want to design anything not because of limitations, but safety. We've unlocked the key to how the human breaks, and we abuse it by making it easy to ingest because it's the easiest way to get approvals from focus groups.

I hate it, Jim. Take me out of this universe.
>>
>>57400520
I just switched back to Outlook because of that Fischer Piss bullshit. It became more severe.
>>
I miss when things looked shiny and actually had depth
>>
>muh material

https://developer.apple.com/design/awards/
http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/24/the-15-most-beautifully-designed-apps-of-2015/

notice how the best designed apps don't use it.
>>
>>57407045
This 100%. Shit on Apple all you like, they're the only ones to have made a touch interface that works well and intuitively.
>>
>>57409154
But all the android versions of those apps do use material design.
>>
>>57409154
>apple design awards
Wow, do you really expect Apple to give awards to their competitor's work?

Here's Google's design awards. Following your logic, material design must be the greatest because they're all material design apps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001769_io_awards?hl=en
>>
>>57400520
I don't have a problem with it at all.
>>
File: qtlabscontrols-material.png (23KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
qtlabscontrols-material.png
23KB, 800x440px
>>57400520
It should've come with night mode baked into the initial release and forced Material apps to support it. Major missed opportunity.
>>
>>57409410
I agree with this, I'm trying to use as much dark themes possible on my phone
>>
>>57404055
Be braindead.
>>
File: tfitbt.png (1KB, 59x88px) Image search: [Google]
tfitbt.png
1KB, 59x88px
>>57404103
the fuck is this?
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.