[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: broadlife.jpg (57KB, 540x531px) Image search: [Google]
broadlife.jpg
57KB, 540x531px
Is it late learning programming at age 22? If not which language should I learn first?
>>
You're never too late to learn programming. I always recommend C because it's very small and pretty easy to learn. Python is also often recommended but it's fucking huge.
>>
>>57394680
>which language should I learn first?
All of them.
>>
>>57394680
>Is it late learning programming at age 22?
No, it is not too late. If you were on /r9k/ asking about how to get laid, maybe it'd be too late, but you can learn to program at any point in your life when you have a functioning brain.

>which language should I learn first?
Depends on what you wanna do.

>I want the shortest possible time from zero to being able to write a program that actually does something vaguely interesting
Python

>I wanna look under the hood and see how the machine and operating system work underneath everything
C

>I wanna do web stuff
Javascript

>I don't give a shit, I just want a job
Java, C#, or Javascript. If you're a code monkey remember that you're competing with Pajeet, who will work awfully hard for not a lot of money. You'll have to either do the same or be able to demonstrate to an employer that you're better than he is.
>>
>>57394680
>Is it late learning programming at age 22?
I hope not, I'm 27 and just started.
>>
>>57394680
Programming can be learned by anyone at any age.

Start with C if you want to /learn/ programming. (Python if just fooling around)

I recommend you read the one and only "The C Programming Language" book by Kernighan and Ritchie themselves.

Also, concurrently watch Harvard's CS50 lectures. (don't be intimidated, they're introductory and meant for people who have had no previous programming experience)

This should set you up famalam.
>>
I recently started learning C++ at age 21, should I switch over to C? I just feel like it would be really confusing now, because I suppose a lot of concepts overlap with small differences
>>
>>57395122
learning programming with C++ is like learning to fly in a 747.

Yes, switch to something else. C, Python, whatever.
>>
>>57395122
Don't, C++ is more powerful and useful than C nowadays.

C++ is not often recommended as a first language is mainly because it's harder to get into, but if you already started learning C++ then there is no reason to downgrade.
>>
>>57395122
>>57395133
>>57395144
Nice dubs we got there. On the flipside if I learned to fly in a 747 wouldn't that mean that flying in a cropduster afterwards would be a walk in the park?
>>
>>57394719
Such a good answer...
>>
My impressions on the languages I've poked at:
>C, C++
Comes from the eighties, and it shows. Not difficult to write, but completely impossible to read. Good for when you want to carefully micromanage the hardware. Bad for when you're working with higher-level program flow and would rather not deal with the hardware.
>Java
C++ for babies. You'll be writing shittons of boilerplate to do anything, and aren't allowed to fuck things up in quite as badly as in lower-level languages. Also, instead of incomprehensible function names with six characters and no vowels, you get whole camelCase sentences, not necessarily any more comprehensible. "SimpleBeanFactoryAwareAspectInstanceFactory" instead of "strcpy". A bit slower than C, in theory, due to running in a virtual machine. In practice, you're unlikely to notice the difference unless you write really, really bad algorithms.
>C#
Java as designed by Microsoft. Adds some features that were missing or had been deliberately removed, that sort of thing. The virtual machine isn't nearly as riced as Java's, and platform independence is fucked.
>>
>>57394680
JS
it`s the language of the future.
It`s the best language.
>>
>>57394680
I started when i was 20.
>with fucking C++
Felt like fighting with xaero on nightmare mode in the beginning and the fucking "teacher" wasn't helpful at all.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.