[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 81S3gLFbOhL.jpg (300KB, 1198x1484px) Image search: [Google]
81S3gLFbOhL.jpg
300KB, 1198x1484px
So, I wanna make games. I know a basics of programming in C/C++/C#/java, I got some ideas of games, but I dont want to fall for the memes, so I ask /g/ advice here...
->engines are good or they are just tools for pajeets? if yes , should I use unity? It seems to be the best but... I dont want to adapt myself to an engine that is proprietary.
->what books are /g/ approved? opinion about pic releted
->where to find best documentation

also Game Development thread, share your experience, say how it is, problems you've had...
>>
>So, I wanna make games.
No, you don't. You think you do, but you're wrong and probably stupid.
>>
>>57394458
This. Go back to playing Gmod or whatever you kids do these days. If you really wanted to make a game, you would have done it already in game maker or unity or something. If you truly had the capacity to create a worthwhile game you wouldn't be worrying about shit like what /g/ approves of.
>>
>>57394458
yeah, im sry because I have a good life goals. Im going to make google play and microshit market apps, or maybe I going to work for stacy to fix her wordpress
be useful or fuckouta here
>>
>>57394450
>engines are good or they are just tools for pajeets?
they're for pajeet or actual gamedev with no programming skill or no intention to get into programming. I'm not saying all the people using engine are clueless about programming but if it's what you want to do you'll hit a wall harder than C++ compilation times and garbage templates.
>>
>>57394450
I started reading that book and got the impression that game coding is all about coding and not really about games.

I'm interested in how game code actually works, I mean I guess I've seen enough examples about a game loop being

while True:
handle_user_input()
update_game_state()
render_a_frame()

but that really doesn't explain how a level is formed or how enemy ai get pragnant or how multiplayer works or why pretty much all games are broken af after speedrunners play them but games programmers just want to circlejerk about vector math, pointer arithmetic and manual memory management

what kind of code makes a jump that feels good? how do you prevent the player from clipping through walls? how do you create immersive 3d audio soundscapes?

I'd ask these questions on /agdg/ but I think they'd call me a nodev

I know there is loads and loads of information out there on these subjects written by games developers over the years but I don't know who to listen to or where to get started or how it all comes together to form a fun experience.

It doesn't help that most games are closed source so it's hard to find a really good example game to learn from although now that I think about it I guess quake/doom/crysis being open is a good resource but I really want to make a 2d platformer and an rpg since that's all I play
>>
>>57395210
to be fair i think that's the beauty of game programming. There's really no manual or clear documentation to do something because there's so many ways to do what you want to do. And if you think about it, it's true about programming in general, the problem there is that they tell you to not reinvent the wheel and use stuff made by other and tell you that is a good wheel. When really there's no wheel really in programming today.
It should be you, your knowledge about a language and your solution to solve a problem. And this is how you should go about making games too.
for example
>what kind of code makes a jump that feels good?
Maybe you know Super Meat Boy, arguably one of the best platformer ever made. Everyone tends to say that it has the best control over the character, that jumping feels really good.
When you look at how the guy make it feels good, he says he wrote a bunch of code (SMB is made with C++) and improved on it. He literally spend months tweaking and improving the jump mechanics until he was satisfied with it.
And that's it, there's no secret formula, no wheel to rely on.

It's you finding a basic solution for your problem to make you move forward and then improving on it until it's good.

If i have to recommend something though, i'd say the handmade hero stuff is very good because it shows you how to program the stuff you need to make a game from 0 to final game.
https://hero.handmade.network/episodes
You can pay to get source codes (that is intended to be release for free in a couple of years) but it won't do you any good. All the code is written live and archived on youtube, i suggest you watch that and follow along from 0 to end.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.