[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

web technologies for the desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: DartForMobile.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DartForMobile.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
what are some of the best web development tools, langauges, frameworks, runtimes for the desktop environment.

I just came across Visual Studio Code. it is a open source text editor from MicroShaft. it is built entirely using open source web technologies meant for the desktop.

what do you guys think about this new direction? keep in mind that as more and more web techs are used for desktop env. these web techs will get faster and easier to use. heck in terms of ease of creating GUI they are obviously superior to what was on offer for the native desktop environment.

I am trying to look for the right combination of technologies that will allow me to build 3D animations and games using HTML5 and whatever else (JS, Dart).

I myself wish Dart was more popular than JS. what do you guys think about it? unfortunately, Dart still does not have good frameworks like Ruby or PHP for the server side work. and no browser will switch to dart on the client side.

on this tangent, what are good node.js frameworks for the server side. which is better for server side programming ?

PHP or Ruby or Node.js.

in terms of efficiency and ease of use (good frameworks). is Ruby on Rails the best framework out there ?

why are the languages for web so sloppy and loose (like sluts) compared to the desktop languages. on the bright side, they are easy (like sluts) to work with. why cant we have both in this fucking world. easy language which is also not sloppy and is very efficient like C++ in execution.

Also google is trying to make Dart the lang. for all platforms (mobile, web, desktop). wouldnt that be awesome ?
>>
wow, a thread that actually talks about real shit and there is no one to answer.
>>
>>57394196
There are several ways to create desktop applications using web technologies.

The cool way today is to use a javascript runtime and a DOM object to make applications like you would a webapp.

The most common is the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) and its derivatives Electron and NW.js to create stand alone applications, this is what Visual Studio Code, Atom, Spotify, Discord, Popcorn time.

This is not the only way, and given that you want to use it for games and 3d animation there are better ways, I know of two:

The first it's QT. QT comes with an embedded webkit (The default KDE browser Konqueror uses it for webkit support), that way you can make the View of your application with HTML+CSS+JS and use QT to create a high performance C++ application.

A lot of programs use this: Davinci Resolve, EA's Origin, all those Gamer keyboard apps with the flashy looks.

The other one is the Windows Universal Platform, all those slow ass ModernUI programs bloating Windows 10 are made on this framework in HTML+CSS+JS but they can also be written in C++ and C#. To be honest I've yet to see the first fast WUP, also these apps will only run on windows devices.

I would invest in QT in your position.

For server side frameworks, out of PHP, Ruby and Node; Node is the better one, easier to develop and faster. If you want something like Rails there is Sails.js for Node which is basically a clone.

Also the future is Go, for better or worse...
>>
>>57394257
I really think we need to split /g/ a board from products and use of technology and a board for programming.

I don't think that's insane, /a/ as /i/ for example.
>>
>>57394579
>Also the future is Go, for better or worse...

that is a future that I would not want. I would think that eventually Dart will get to that place and Go will be abandoned by Google. It is not that I do not like Go. Just that I want the front and back end to be the same lang. also since Dart will become the lang for Android dev. with the google "Flutter" project. Flutter also converts the app written in Dart to iOS app. and the new google OS Fuschia will also have Dart as the main language for development.

I mean if somehow one language could be used for all things and google would put money in to make it good for all things, then that is the best. Google's "Flutter" project and "Fuschia" OS seem to be going in that direction.

As for the QT. I prefer not to use C++ at all. I am trying to find the next best thing in terms of speed after C++. I was hoping to create 3D using WebGL, but for desktop. this way I could easily port it over to the browser as well. and if google keeps hacking at flutter, one day the same 3D code could be used for all three platforms (mobile, web, pc). but dart will have to be more optimized for it.

also, i am highly surprised by your claim that node.js is fast. I have been reading that Ruby is easier to develop but PHP is the fastest. node.js has the same problems as javascript. lack of strong typing and weird behavior. plus, even the inventor of java script said tha he never intended this language to get so far. it was not until the V8 engine was developed, by the same people who are working on Dart, that javascript became fast enough to be used on the server side and become node.js.

infact javascript is my lest favortie language due to its looseness.
>>
>>57394843
Try typescript.
Sure you have to compile it, but it's fucking great.
>>
>>57394740
Seconded. Programming threads are too buried under weebs showing off their waifu desktops.
>>
Holy shit OP. You've asked 7 questions in one topic. Learn to minimize.
>>
>>57395031
even my seven questions have not produced a lively thread and you are saying to minimize?

why not juse take one of the questions and answer them?
>>
>>57394909
what is i compile dart to js. i hear dart to js produces very fast js. but the js code is not easily modifiable by a human reader. what kind of output code does typescript to js produce?
>>
>wanting to use ""web"" shit for programs
Please don't. Learn C and come back.
>>
>>57395087
>even my seven questions have not produced a lively thread and you are saying to minimize?
not him but you'll always get better results if you aks short, concise questions instead of wall-of-texting someone. it's good advice.

next time at least include a tl;dr
>>
>>57394257
welcome to /g/ :^)

>>57394196
>Visual Studio Code
dogshit

>3D animations and games using HTML5
i dunno start here https://notabug.org/koz.ross/awesome-gamedev#html5
btw html5 is umbrella marketing term for css, javascript and the new webapis coming out every other week since 2011
there are new html tags and attributes and stuff but html5 isn't not literally just html
see also https://whatwg.org/

>Dart
a failed attempt by Google to own the web platform before ES2015 was finalized. at the same time Microsoft introduced TypeScript which is still relevant because its syntax is similar to JS
if you look closer at the dart repos on github you'll see none of the activity is from anyone but the google employees who work on it. no one apart from them even realizes that dart still exists.
dart is the real life version of bighead's department at hooli

>good node.js frameworks
i dunno, express? are you making a game or a webapp?

>PHP or Ruby or Node.js.
none of the above
use go

>in terms of efficiency and ease of use (good frameworks). is Ruby on Rails the best framework out there ?
haha good one

>sluts
you are a very adhd addled person

>>57394196
>google is trying to make Dart the lang. for all platforms
like I said they *were* but it failed. everything you read is PR bullshit from 2011
the department is still going at google probably because it's such a huge company no one notices they exist and if they just keep their heads down and look busy they can keep a nice cushy job
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.